Expatriates: Rent or Own the place of living in Thailand

As an expat I feel it’s better to rent.  Because you never know what might happen.  You might even want to move out of Thailand some time.

But keep in mind.  It also depends on your individual circumstances. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

we rented at first as our son got older and had a very good job ,we purchased on a mortgage ,when i am gone our son will own it and live there or sell it ,as will my wife ,

I purchased on a mortgage as well, deposit was 300kbht.

I wish I hadn't, but the monthly payments weren't any more than rent, so in the end it's only the 300k I've lost. 

• Like 2

We were renting in Sukhumvit 65. Wife wanted a house, so we comprimised on doing that if the mortgage was less than the rent. I put up the deposit and interior cash.

10 years on, I couldnt imagine being back in town. Suburbs all the way.

In my opinion you should buy in your own country where you understand the market and the law. Rent that out and you will only need to spend a third of your rent on renting a nice condo in Thailand. Condos go down in value over time. Not just Thailand but most places. I bought a ski apartment in Bulgaria. Sold it for half of what I paid for it 15 yes ago and it still isn't worth what I paid for it. Buyers want new condos not old ones. Rent rent rent.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I own a number of places I rent out in CBD Bangkok.

I've stayed in service apartments in BKK when working.

My advice would be, unless you're buying a freehold to locate & build a family. is to very, very firmly RENT. 

That's not because I rent out places, it's based on what I would do now - and will do.

Edited by Pmbkk