74-year-old man seriously injured after being hit by a motorbike while crossing the road under a pedestrian bridge in Chonburi

webfact

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

'Nuff said when allocating blame.  Excessive Speed is the most frequent cause of accidents; it is the easiest to police and eradicate in any country with a police force.

But it's only a bystander's opinion that the guy was riding at high speed. If the speed limit is 80km/h and the guy's doing 60 km/h, is this riding too fast?

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What a callous attitude!

One of the golden rules when driving, especially in an urban environment is: slow down and expect the unexpected!

Yeah, lets slow down the traffic to a crawl. 

It's bad enough when there's a traffic accident, all the rubber neckers slowing to look at the blood and guts on the road 

• Sad 2

From the photo, its a built up area,  it has street lights, lots of traffic, my guess is the bike was travelling too fast,  that he lost control like 95% of them do, if not the old man, it would have been an electrical post  

39 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yeah, lets slow down the traffic to a crawl. 

It's bad enough when there's a traffic accident, all the rubber neckers slowing to look at the blood and guts on the road 

It's better (and more humane) to save lives, not minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It's better (and more humane) to save lives, not minutes.

What's better (and more humane) is have the pedestrians use the walk bridge. I understand he was unable to use the bridge but he shouldn't be crossing a busy road. 

It's a bloody traffic hazard to have an elderly person crossing a busy road, you're just not expecting a pedestrian, it scares the bejesus out of you, the sudden unexpected hazard on the road. 

Drivers reaction could create a pile up.

I've seen driver's pannic when seeing an animal on the road, vehicles braking, swerving.

This old guy should be more responsible. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

This is a toss up?  old man crossing the road under a bridge not a crosswalk but simpler easy to get across. Motorbike driver going pedal to the metal not looking ahead to traffic?

Makes me wonder in a few years when I'm 74 will I be able to get it up?????

Many years ago, I attempted this rather foolish act, not being that familiar with this insane driving. I nearly got killed. Not smart. Always use a crosswalk or bridge. And always cross at corners, if possible.

Survival here depends on smarts, good common sense and being very careful. Drivers here yield to few cars or bikes. 

The law of the land here seems to be the bigger your vehicle, the more people yield to you. Big trucks are highest on the totem. Then cars. Then bikes. Last of all are pedestrians. They get mowed down all the time here. And most of the time people don't even stop afterwards. 

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What's better (and more humane) is have the pedestrians use the walk bridge. I understand he was unable to use the bridge but he shouldn't be crossing a busy road. 

It's a bloody traffic hazard to have an elderly person crossing a busy road, you're just not expecting a pedestrian, it scares the bejesus out of you, the sudden unexpected hazard on the road. 

I've seen driver's pannic when seeing an animal on the road, vehicles braking, swerving.

He probably won’t do it again.

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

One day you little wipper snapper you may grow old and infirm, or maybe infirm before you get old, I live in hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's obvious by the sad and confused faces I'm receiving in my comments that I'm outnumbered. 

I'm fine with that but you guys are scaring me, we all know how dangerous the roads are in Thailand but there are heaps of you guys that think it's fine for a 74-year-old Thai man to cross a busy road. 

What's wrong with you people? 

I'm a big fan of safety and allowing a for a 74-year-old Thai man to cross a busy road in Thailand is just an unsafe act. 

I'm not attacking the elderly, why are you guys so stubborn, why can't you see the danger 

OMG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

. Always use a crosswalk or bridge. And always cross at corners, if possible.

?? Crosswalks don't mean anything here. Did you forget about the female doctor ?  No corners are the worst place to cross: fast turning vehicles from nowhere. Too many variables. Best to walk up aways from any corner where you have longer range visibility. 

And of course the bridge is the safest crossing.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

These cross bridges are rarely used, most take their chances crossing the road, especially school kids. climbing high steps in the heat of the day. They need pedestrian subways with ramps up and down. but .........

have to disagree, i live in bangkok and people use the bridges to cross the road, only vendors with carts try their luck, and the efficacy of their amulets, attempting to dodge the traffic.

18 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

t's a bloody traffic hazard to have an elderly person crossing a busy road, you're just not expecting a pedestrian, it scares the bejesus out of you, the sudden unexpected hazard on the road. 

Are they dropping down out of the sky or being inadvertently placed there by the Enterprise's  transporter? 

Sounds more like someone looking up from their phone the way you put it.  

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Are they dropping down out of the sky or being inadvertently placed there by the Enterprise's  transporter? 

Sounds more like someone looking up from their phone the way you put it.  

The poster has obviously never taken nor understood the basics of a defensive driving course, or he would be trained to expecte and anticipate the unexpected.

3 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Disagree.

The driver must ALWAYS be in control of his speed and able to stop when faced with an unexpected obstacle.

Even on the fast lane it is wise to slow down in agglomeration. The motorcyclist is at fault.

You're right. Drivers need to be ready for anything, but the feeling I get is that the rhetoric is putting extra blame on the rider, in light of recent events... and not focussing on the old guy choosing what some would say was a daft place to try crossing a road, especially due to his age and condition.

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's obvious by the sad and confused faces I'm receiving in my comments that I'm outnumbered. 

I'm fine with that but you guys are scaring me, we all know how dangerous the roads are in Thailand but there are heaps of you guys that think it's fine for a 74-year-old Thai man to cross a busy road. 

What's wrong with you people? 

I'm a big fan of safety and allowing a for a 74-year-old Thai man to cross a busy road in Thailand is just an unsafe act. 

I'm not attacking the elderly, why are you guys so stubborn, why can't you see the danger 

OMG

Older people always think they are right, they when you comment om them its ageism, but at the same time they want special treatment.

If you can't cross a bridge like that then ask for help or find an other way. Like you said they put those bridges there because its unsafe to cross the road walking.  Then some older person risks it gets hit and they all blame the driver. Madness.

Sure drivers need to be in control of their car / bike but people should not be crossing busy roads when there is a pedestrian bridge. 

Its a wide road with fast-moving traffic probably a speed limit of 80 or so. Try dodging that. Madness.

Can't blame the old guy totally either as Thailand is not exactly friendly for the handicapped or older still to put the blame on the motorcycle driver who probably just wen 80 (speed limit on many of those roads most scooters don't go much faster a 100 maybe). Bit unfair, but given the audience in this forum you wont win. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1