74-year-old man seriously injured after being hit by a motorbike while crossing the road under a pedestrian bridge in Chonburi

webfact

FzBLSqDMF3O8I69T_151110-696x382.jpg

PHOTO: Wisarn Sangjaroen / Top News

By Goong Nang(GN)

Chonburi – A 74-year-old man was seriously injured after being hit by a motorbike while crossing a road under a pedestrian bridge in the Mueang Chonburi district earlier this week.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident on a road in the Nong Ree sub-district. They arrived at the scene to find a male pedestrian who was later identified as Mr. Boonsorn Boonmak, 74. He had sustained severe injuries.

Nearby, first responders found the male motorbike driver and a female passenger, who were not identified by emergency teams. They also sustained various injuries. All of them were rushed to a local hospital.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/28/74-year-old-man-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-a-motorbike-while-crossing-the-road-under-a-pedestrian-bridge-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-01-29

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Perhaps he was unable climb the stairs, could have been infirm,

Left his amulet at home this time it seems

Probably even more infirm now that he got hit by a motorbike unfortunately.  However the number of times I have seen people, young and older,  scampering across a road, rather then taking their time to walk safely  over the footbridge makes me think it is the lemming instinct sometimes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

why did the chicken cross the road ....

It's an adrenaline junkie and embraced the challenge of crossing a road in the Kingdom and getting to the other side in one piece and alive.

Having done so, it realized that it was a lucky one off and never did it again, thereby providing proof that even chickens have better sense than some.......... (blank) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

You missed this part ..."74-year-old man"? 

So because he is 74 he does not have to follow the traffic rules. Crazy remark. I would wager that crossing the road is more dangerous then for him to go up the steps. 

The accident proves it. 

For those who say he could not climb, then he should have sought help. Bit if you cannot climb you probably cant walk fast either.

Just an lazy excuse. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe the steps up were too much for him?

When I visit Bangkok I get exhausted by all the steps one encounters, getting over Sukhumvit for example..... hardly ever climb any living in Pattaya. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

I don't know about these people who cross heavy fast traffic under a pedestrian bridge

I also don't know about all the  children near me who do exactly that to get to the coffee shop across the road from their school. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

however not all 74 yr olds "hobble" some of us still run, and cycle.

Point taken 

My comment is not an attack on the aging AN foreign members, the one percenters of Thailand.

Chonburi, Thailand, Thai MALE, crossing busy road. 

I can't remember the last time I saw a walking 74-year-old Thai male walking, if I did see one walking I'd say it's not a good pace. 

Geeze, sometimes this forum is nonsense.

I've had photos taken down of 20 year old ex girlfriends because aging members complained, complaining that she looked underage. 

Hello out there, AN forum has younger members, you elderly guys are not the only ones that make comments. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I've actually done that more than a few times.  Walking the extra distance to, then up & over.  As I don't do steps well, with my uncooperative hip.  Quite able to, just prefer not to, when not needing. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know about these people who don't bother reading the link where they would find the answer to their question.

So because he is unable to get up (wonder how he then can cross a road sound bias IMHO)  he should be excused and not to blame when going over a busy road right where there is a traffic bridge.

Sorry I just don't buy it and if he is unable too would it not make more sense to ask for help then to risk it ?

If your not able to do it yourself ask for help, don't just cross a road. I mean what are the chances of him not being able to use the bridge but have enough speed to cross a busy big road ?

Madness.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The timing of this article maybe suggests that it's another reckless driver causing accidents with innocent pedestrians, but (even though the guy was old) there is a footbridge over a road that appears to have at least two lanes in each direction. I know we should expect the unexpected, but any driver or motorcyclist should not have to expect pedestrians crossing the road under a footbridge. I'm one of the worst in the world for avoiding bridges, and running across, but this seems a bit harsh on the motorcyclist... at least in the timing of the article with so many others blaming the driver.

• Confused 1