Who listens to classical music? And what are your favorite pieces?

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because we concentrate on the music here I won't link to that scene in that movie...

Haven't yet properly explored Wagner, but this one surely draws me. I wish I could hear it live. Must feel like the auditorium takes off.

5 hours ago, Paulaew said:

I listen to all kinds of music, but especially classical, jazz, and blues. I'm currently learning blues piano.

One of my favorite classical pieces is Ravel's String Quartet in F Major. The pizzicato passage in the 2nd movement is remarkable. But the whole quartet is a real joy.

My wife mostly listens to Thai music and sometimes sends me songs that I like. But she is a big fan of George Harrison's While my guitar gently weeps, especially the version with India Arie, Carlos Santana and Yo-Yo Ma.

Paul Laew

Did you read the title of the thread?

I enjoy a lot of classical music with the exception of the atonal experiments from early to middle 20th century. My favourite changes from time to time, Beethoven, Bruch, Elgar Vaughn Williams et al. At the moment I repeatedly enjoy Peter Maxell-Davis's Farewell to Stromness.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Then there is the 'contemporary fusion classical' .... ????

Wow. Not heard this in years. EC with the late Michael Kamen (conducting), theme from the original BBC version of Edge of Darkness  which they both co-wrote.The film with Mel Gibson is no comparison IMHO. Cheers. Will watch it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Classical is my "music soothes the savage beast" stuff, calms me down.

Fave pieces:

first 2 movements of Beethoven's Ninth

prelude to Tannhauser (Wagner) when in need of strength and determination

...ok, so those aren't actually soothing.

Cavalleria Rusticana

Mozart piano concertos

A thumbs up to Enso String Quartet

I recently started a "composer of the week" initiative to expand my scope, but it looks like it will be by the month.  Or longer ????

Starting off with Mahler.

If someone has on-line radio stations they like I'd appreciate some mentions.  I'll start if off with KQAC in Portland, Oregon (USA).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 41632584 said:

Thank you all for sharing. Your suggestions allow me to discover and explore 'new' old compositions previously unknown to me.

Try Spotify, it will allow you to hear whoever your faves are, along with pieces unknown previously and explore your boundaries also gives you a world DIVAs . Great service.

What an interesting topic, thanks.

As a lover of many forms & types of music, Classical Music is a hugely important part of my life.

There are far too many favourites to list here but i would suggest the following three are well worth listening to.

Edited by LeungKen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Try Spotify, it will allow you to hear whoever your faves are, along with pieces unknown previously and explore your boundaries also gives you a world DIVAs . Great service.

Try You Tube.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 41632584 said:

Unbelievable. Fine choreography and excellent execution. Certainly added another dimension to the music. Thanks!

I was very fortunate to be in Nottingham UK (where Torvill & Dean come from) when they premiered their world tour back in 1985. It was the most amazing show I have ever seen in my life. And naturally Bolero, a much more stylized version, was the big highlight of the evening.

Edited by Moonlover