Who listens to classical music? And what are your favorite pieces?

Have my favourites, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Haydn etc, but love most classical music. I play the guitar (moderately), but too much discipline involved in classical, nearest I get is playing Classical Gas. Tend to enjoy playing country blues and ragtime. Learning Dark Town Strutters Ball and Cincinnati Flow Drag Rag (Rev Garry Davis variation of the famous tune), at the moment.

What a perfect topic to post!  Enjoyed the clips everyone posted.  I enjoy many of the classics but do not pay too much attention to the composers.  I am American and a few years ago I was on a SCUBA diving trip on a liveaboard in the Similan Islands area.  With my headphones on and cranked up I was listening to Nessun Dorma (Pavarotti).  The Thai gentleman sitting next to me was also listening.  When finished he commented that that was his favorite music of all times.  Turned out he was a cardiologist and a Pediatric Surgeon in a major Bangkok children's hospital.  My Thai wife sits mesmerized when I am watching the Three Tenors in Concert.  Think she would have fallen in love with Pavarotti in different times.  I like most music that I can understand the words to, many instrumentals and even several Thai songs.  A friend describes my music tastes as 'eclectic'.  My 'library' includes English, Italian, Spanish, French, Israeli.  A favorite French is Michael Sardou with Les Lacs du Connemara.  I don't know why, I just enjoy it.  First time I heard it on a hotel sound system I was working at a power plant near Alexandria, Egypt and it took me two years to get its name.  If good classical music does not get your fingers and toes in motion there's something wrong!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:20 PM, Gecko123 said:

Thank you to all who are making suggestions. Please keep them coming. I watched an interview with Stephen Sondheim after his death, and have been listening to some of the classical composers he cited as influences: (Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky, Johannes Brahms, Paganini). Some of those composers are a challenge for me. Hoping to find some more accessible classics. I enjoy listening to classical music while working in the garden.

Sondheim must be quite a chap if he gives interviews after dying.

More to the point, I like Church music, especially requiems - Mozart of course, Bach but I find the Renaissance requiems - Morales, Victoria, etc with singing in cappella very uplifting.  Would like the Morales sung at my funeral.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder if this thread about classical music would gravitate to such a comment anywhere else than in Thailand.

Not that I complain and obviously I feel a little guilty - but only a little. ???? 

Actually, observations relating to Ms. Wang's non-musical attributes and her lack of reluctance to display them have entered the copy of normally staid classical music reviews, causing kerfuffle not seen since Charlotte Moorman played her cello while bare-breasted at a New York opera performance in 1967.

On one of her first major US tours, Ms. Wang performed at the Hollywood Bowl clad in 6" stiletto heels and a dress best described as appearing shrink-wrapped to her body.

Social commentators immediately seized upon the disparity in reviews of this concert that appeared in the local and international press, comparing the percentages of copy describing her performance vs. the amount of copy devoted to her attire.  Even the usually all to correct New York Times found itself piously defending it's classical music critic's brief foray into fashion commentary:  something along the lines of "As revealing as a second skin.. " 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, farangkinok said:

CHOPIN

Reminds me of Emperor Joseph II's comment to Mozart about The Marriage of Figaro, "too many notes".

(Another peeve about Chopin is his obsession with key signatures with large numbers of sharps or flats, making stuff that much more difficult to play.  In the example above, the key signature (C# minor) as four sharps.  It could just as easily have been written in A minor, with no key signature.)

2 hours ago, thaibook said:

More to the point, I like Church music, especially requiems - Mozart of course, Bach but I find the Renaissance requiems - Morales, Victoria, etc with singing in cappella very uplifting.  Would like the Morales sung at my funeral.

This performance of the Berlioz Requiem at a memorial concert for the late conductor, Claudio Abbado, conducted by his protégée, Gustavo Dudamel is one of the finest performances I have ever heard of this great requiem.

5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I don't know what your on about, I was remembering the scene in the movie Apocalypse Now that OnemoreFarang was thinking of when he posted it...

Although I have seen Apocalypse Now many years ago, I couldn't remember where the music might have been, but just checked and you are right! Adding a powerful feeling to the choppers approaching. ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Any Chopin music.

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #2

Tchaikovsky Piano and Violin Concertos

Mozart Mass in C minor

Bruch Violin Concerto

Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue

Bach Christmas Oratorio

Strauss Emperor waltz

Beethoven Ode to Joy, Symphony 7 allegretto

Elgar Nimrod

Brahms Piano Concerto #2

Handel Largo from Xerxes

Hauser Adagio

Gremin's Aria

Mascagni intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana

Clark Prince of Denmark March

Samson and Delilah, Mon Coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

Scott Joplin

Grieg Morning Mood

Bach Kleine and Grosse

Laura's aria from Casanova

Rachmaninov - Vocalise

Nabucco, Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves

Ennio Morricone, modern classic

Wonderful suggestions. Quite a few pieces that were either unknown to me or haven't yet gotten around to listen to. Thanks!

• Like 1

Gustov Holst "The Planets" was not by any means my first classical but it definitely made the most impact on me the first time I heard it all the way through.  Some of the "Planets" were used in over 127 movies.  The best I heard was my first time putting that album on my Oracle TT.  It was conducted by Sir Georg Solti and the London Philharmonic.  A very expensive audiophile album.  I can't believe I paid over $50 for it back in the mid 70's.  (Be careful setting down that Koetsu Onyx stylus Tim)  London Records also made a fantastic sounding "The Planets" direct to disc master recording by Sir Adrian Boult and the London Philharmonic.  I just saved it on SPOTIFY which is the best I can do only hearing out of my right ear these days.  The doom of an avid audiophile.

• Like 1

I listen to a whole range of music... good music is just good music no matter the genre or age... 

On the classical front: Marcello Oboe Concerto in C minor....    an awesome composition. 

One key point to listening to music is the recording quality - listen to anything recorded ‘very well’ in lossless format on a great system or with excellent headphones and the piece is usually amazing... 

- Headphones - Sony WH-1000XM4 - (best in their price bracket).

- Home theatre system - Onkyo with PolkAudio speakers (good quality vs cost - about the level of Bose).

- Dedicated music system - Naim (aweseome, crazy expensive - ultimately worth it if you are an audiophile)

- Small stand alone system - Harmon Kardon Aura 3 (excellent sound quality for a small system and reasonable price).

Now... I know the device is not the question and we are discussion what we are listening to (classical) and not one what are we listening to classical music, however, the quality of recording (production) and quality of device makes an astonishing difference. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jvs said:

I agree this is a nice piece of music but some music just sounds better with visuals.

Many thanks, i was looking for this version but for some reason could not find it. Now in my favourites list...............:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yes, I have been a fan of Classical music for over 50 years.

I am familiar with over 200 piano Concerti, many more than 200 operas and quite a few symphonies from the Composers that are familiar to most of you. My favourites include the main repertoires of all genres but with many less well known as well.

All of this as it relates to me and what I think of as great for me, might well be different from you as an individual and of others - all a matter of taste.

I now make a bold statement!

In the last year I have been listening and watching the best Singer in the world! If that was just MY opinion, it would be worth little but since this view is held by many, including Professional Singers and Vocal Coaches worldwide, I would recommend you give him a try.

His name is Dimash Kudaibergen (sometimes spelt with a "Q") from Kazakstan. If you know of him already, you will see what I mean but for those who haven't...

He has a vocal range of seven octaves, sings in 12 languages, plays 8 instruments. Classically trained since the age of 5 and sings all genres of music, sometimes in the same song!!

I know there are some tough nuts to crack on this forum but I would be very interested to hear what your reactions might be when you have heard just one song!! Choose one from his own YouTube Channel and afterwards watch and listen to a few reactions - there are 1000's of them, all of them finding it impossible to believe what they see and hear.

His first album went Platinum in 7 seconds and triple platinum in less than one hour. Over the New Year two of his songs were number 1 and 2 on the US Billboard.

Yes, he is unique!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibook said:

What's the date of your funeral? I would like to listen to the Morales - BEFORE my funeral!

38 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Yes, I have been a fan of Classical music for over 50 years.

I am familiar with over 200 piano Concerti, many more than 200 operas and quite a few symphonies from the Composers that are familiar to most of you. My favourites include the main repertoires of all genres but with many less well known as well.

All of this as it relates to me and what I think of as great for me, might well be different from you as an individual and of others - all a matter of taste.

I now make a bold statement!

In the last year I have been listening and watching the best Singer in the world! If that was just MY opinion, it would be worth little but since this view is held by many, including Professional Singers and Vocal Coaches worldwide, I would recommend you give him a try.

His name is Dimash Kudaibergen (sometimes spelt with a "Q") from Kazakstan. If you know of him already, you will see what I mean but for those who haven't...

He has a vocal range of seven octaves, sings in 12 languages, plays 8 instruments. Classically trained since the age of 5 and sings all genres of music, sometimes in the same song!!

I know there are some tough nuts to crack on this forum but I would be very interested to hear what your reactions might be when you have heard just one song!! Choose one from his own YouTube Channel and afterwards watch and listen to a few reactions - there are 1000's of them, all of them finding it impossible to believe what they see and hear.

His first album went Platinum in 7 seconds and triple platinum in less than one hour. Over the New Year two of his songs were number 1 and 2 on the US Billboard.

Yes, he is unique!

Thank you for recommendations. As you mentioned, you are familiar with many operas, perhaps you could guide me how to proceed exploring opera, which to listen to first and how to prepare.

I have heard a few operas when I was a teenager, and many popular arias are familiar to me, and I appreciate classical vocal technique and sound but I can't seem to lose myself completely (especially during dialogues) like with a symphony. Maybe it's a question of familiarity. And probably lacking the language skills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Actually, observations relating to Ms. Wang's non-musical attributes and her lack of reluctance to display them have entered the copy of normally staid classical music reviews, causing kerfuffle not seen since Charlotte Moorman played her cello while bare-breasted at a New York opera performance in 1967.

On one of her first major US tours, Ms. Wang performed at the Hollywood Bowl clad in 6" stiletto heels and a dress best described as appearing shrink-wrapped to her body.

Social commentators immediately seized upon the disparity in reviews of this concert that appeared in the local and international press, comparing the percentages of copy describing her performance vs. the amount of copy devoted to her attire.  Even the usually all to correct New York Times found itself piously defending it's classical music critic's brief foray into fashion commentary:  something along the lines of "As revealing as a second skin.. " 

If they have the talent and body, flaunt it.

Check out Jane Rutter (Flautist) and some of her performances to change the opinion of some that classical music is staid and oldfashioned.

Nigel Kennedy and Malcolm McLaren scandalised the tuxedoed brigade.

Teddy Tahu Rhodes, bare chest on stage in opera had many matrons using the programme as a fan, and enlisted some younger women and men to listen to opera and attend.

Katherin Jenkins has caused comment with her great style , elegance and voice,  and interpretations of some of the arias. It aint over till the fat lady signs, does not apply

Pin on Music

Edited by RJRS1301

6 minutes ago, 41632584 said:

Thank you for recommendations. As you mentioned, you are familiar with many operas, perhaps you could guide me how to proceed exploring opera, which to listen to first and how to prepare.

I have heard a few operas when I was a teenager, and many popular arias are familiar to me, and I appreciate classical vocal technique and sound but I can't seem to lose myself completely (especially during dialogues) like with a symphony. Maybe it's a question of familiarity. And probably lacking the language skills.

There are GRAND operas, light operas or Operettas, or comic operas. Nearly all operas will have a Musical only Overture (prelude or introduction), lasting anything from one minute up to about 15 minutes that in many cases sets the scene for the story. It is not uncommon for some operas to have some spoken dialogue.

Aida (Verdi) and some of Wagners operas could be classed as "Grand" and comic operas such as those by Offenbach and Franz Lehar in particular.

If I was recommending an opera to "start" I would go for something like, "The Magic Flute", Mozart, "Carmen", Bizet. "The Merry Widow", Lehar. In preparing, I suggest you could choose in your search, a "full" opera and before watching and listening, look if subtitles are included on screen or available from YouTube settings. The second thing would be to find a version where the comments are more positive and seeming to believe everything was good about the performance as a whole.

The third thing I would look for would be a version where "sets" and "costuming" seem appropriate. So many contemporary versions have weird sets, which for me detracts from the overall experience for the viewer.

Don't worry too much about well known singers as necessarily meaning it will be better. But usually, Conductors of repute will only engage with productions that appeal to them in ways that their audience will appreciate.

My comments are a bit subjective and in the end it will depend on what takes your fancy taste-wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

There are GRAND operas, light operas or Operettas, or comic operas. Nearly all operas will have a Musical only Overture (prelude or introduction), lasting anything from one minute up to about 15 minutes that in many cases sets the scene for the story. It is not uncommon for some operas to have some spoken dialogue.

Aida (Verdi) and some of Wagners operas could be classed as "Grand" and comic operas such as those by Offenbach and Franz Lehar in particular.

If I was recommending an opera to "start" I would go for something like, "The Magic Flute", Mozart, "Carmen", Bizet. "The Merry Widow", Lehar. In preparing, I suggest you could choose in your search, a "full" opera and before watching and listening, look if subtitles are included on screen or available from YouTube settings. The second thing would be to find a version where the comments are more positive and seeming to believe everything was good about the performance as a whole.

The third thing I would look for would be a version where "sets" and "costuming" seem appropriate. So many contemporary versions have weird sets, which for me detracts from the overall experience for the viewer.

Don't worry too much about well known singers as necessarily meaning it will be better. But usually, Conductors of repute will only engage with productions that appeal to them in ways that their audience will appreciate.

My comments are a bit subjective and in the end it will depend on what takes your fancy taste-wise.

Thanks, greatly appreciate your reply! Gives me sense of structure and a strategy to approach and warm up to it.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:33 AM, kokopelli said:

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

If they have the talent and body, flaunt it.

Check out Jane Rutter (Flautist) and some of her performances to change the opinion of some that classical music is staid and oldfashioned.

Nigel Kennedy and Malcolm McLaren scandalised the tuxedoed brigade.

Teddy Tahu Rhodes, bare chest on stage in opera had many matrons using the programme as a fan, and enlisted some younger women and men to listen to opera and attend.

Katherin Jenkins has caused comment with her great style , elegance and voice,  and interpretations of some of the arias. It aint over till the fat lady signs, does not apply

Pin on Music

She (Katherine Jenkins)  performed at the Bangkok International Festival of Dance & Music last Thursday; regrettably I missed it.

Edited by Stupooey
An old post appeared along with. my reply.

In recent times I have been hooked on the Beethoven String Quartets - all of them, but if you asked me to name a favourite, I would say the third Razumovsky Quartet. The last movement is a humdinger. Prince Razumovsky was the Russian Ambassador to Vienna, and in addition to the three quartets he commissioned from Beethoven he was a great patron of all the arts and filled the embassy with paintings and sculptures. He had an extension built for the visit of the Tsar to the Congress of Vienna following the first defeat of Napoleon, unfortunately he built it in wood. It caught fire and most of the embassy was burned down. At least Beethoven's music survives.

• Like 2