Who listens to classical music? And what are your favorite pieces?

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know, are The Three Tenors part of classic music?

I think they are on the outskirts of it, same with Andre Rieu.

My dear departed father, who was a Classical Music "NUT" didn't like any of that but he liked this strangely enough (I think because it has Bach's Air From Suite No. 3 sample in it) ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I can't claim to like listening to entire opera's but I do love compilations such as this of arias and other operatic pieces.  I especially enjoy those compilations that include recordings of great singers of the past. 

One recorded compilation I especially liked was a recording of a dozen different tenors from different eras singing the same aria: "Che Galida Manina" from "La Boheme".  It gave me an appreciation of how the styles of singers have evolved over the years.

19 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Satie is nice to listen to if stressed

There was one of Eduard Cortez' pictures on Antiques Roadshow a year or so ago and all of his paintings were of Paris in the rain I think. But he put a tiny hole through the painting where all the lines in perspective met .  This music fits those scenes so well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 41632584 said:

Just listened to it. Wonderful. Impressive piano play. Such skill. 

A little story if I may 41632584 . My mother worked in a music shop in London in the late 30s.  If someone wanted to listen to a gramaphone this was the piece she put on , The girls in the shop got fed up with the same 78rpm record. When she left just before WW2 they gave her the record as a gift.  My mother told me this in the late 80s.  Upstairs in her house was a record case that held maybe 20 records. I looked and there was her 78 from 50 years before.  So this piece by Litolff is always mum's. Oh and I bought her the CD so she could hear it all and that is how I started this Litolff thing. The CD is right here.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LeungKen said:

What an interesting topic, thanks.

As a lover of many forms & types of music, Classical Music is a hugely important part of my life.

There are far too many favourites to list here but i would suggest the following three are well worth listening to.

This version of "Im Abendrot" is the most achingly beautiful piece of music I know.

When I listen to it it brings me close to my wonderful parents, now gone.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

A little story if I may 41632584 . My mother worked in a music shop in London in the late 30s.  If someone wanted to listen to a gramaphone this was the piece she put on , The girls in the shop got fed up with the same 78rpm record. When she left just before WW2 they gave her the record as a gift.  My mother told me this in the late 80s.  Upstairs in her house was a record case that held maybe 20 records. I looked and there was her 78 from 50 years before.  So this piece by Litolff is always mum's. Oh and I bought her the CD so she could hear it all and that is how I started this Litolff thing. The CD is right here.

That's a lovely story. I am a bit of a 78 collector, so I can even more so appreciate the personal value that record and music must have to you.  What label is it?

56 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There are so many talented players I envy the way they can play.  Bass guitar it about my limit. ????

Been in bands all my life, up to now, and rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals to get six people to play in time and in tune. Same as the Beatles in Hamburg.

You watch a Symphony Orchestra, 100 musicians all perfect, but usually must have the dots and conductor in front of them.

My Fender Jazz is 50 years old, and I am still learning....mostly off Macca!

Edited by KannikaP

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Classical Acoustic guitar.

Do you know of Brandon Acker, master not only of guitar but a multitude of plucked instruments? 

I find his playing of the incredible Theorbo to be especially fascinating.

39 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Mendelssohn  overture  ' The Hebrides '.  Sir John Eliot Gardiner.  You will know the tune . Post it someone.

Great! I have heard other things by Mendelssohn but this sounds as 'new' to me. Will certainly be added to the library.

Naturally I would recommend anyone to listen to the first movement of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto.

Starts at 1:16. Violin solo starts right away. 

• Like 1