Who listens to classical music? And what are your favorite pieces?

42 minutes ago, Oxx said:

For me, Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht

I have always heard about Schönberg in relation to atonality, which is probably why I haven't heard anything by him yet. But the opening sounds very promising. 

43 minutes ago, 41632584 said:

I see so many interesting suggestions. Some are unknown to me but now I am aware of their existence. Much appreciated everyone!

I have a CD somewhere with famous classical music from advertisement.

I have to admit I know this one as the choco crossies music...

21 minutes ago, dddave said:

IMHO, Yuja Wang is the greatest piano player performing today.  She brings amazing clarity, insight and power to whatever she plays.

This is one of my favorites:  

And even if the music is boring for a minute or two it's still nice to look at her.

yuiawang.jpg?fit=720,382&ssl=1

Please Note:

aa.  I really wonder why this topic cannot be pinned, and maintained well, on the Farang Pub forum.

bb.  Because, I am sure that there are many here who might find this interesting.

cc.  In other words, we already have two topics pinned for music selections from two other genre of music.  And, maybe now is the time to PIN one more music topic on the Pub Forum.

dd.  This is only my strong suggestion and wish.

I LOVE classical music, and have for over 55 years.

And, for me, classical music has become more important and interesting, and helpful to me, the older I become.

Hopefully, some moderator will PIN and Maintain a Thread and Discussion, such as this.

Tks!

5 hours ago, 41632584 said:

That's a lovely story. I am a bit of a 78 collector, so I can even more so appreciate the personal value that record and music must have to you.  What label is it?

Sorry , I lived miles away in Devon and my brother cleared the house in Surrey ,what happened to the 78s I have no idea.

Those who love classical music, one must posit, are those who are also more introspective and thoughtful, and, maybe, even more hail-fellows-well-met.

My hope is that some good moderator here might PIN this type of classical-music discussion on the Farang Pub forum, because...doing so would provide something interesting for me to look forward to, each day.

Also, if this were to happen, then each morning, I could look through the suggestions, and listen to suggested classical music choices, and doing this might improve my life, markedly, over tea or coffee with my eggs.

Really...

I hope this happens.

Thank you.

23 hours ago, bendejo said:

Starting off with Mahler.

I started off with Mahler in 1959.  I knew no classical music and cared less, but I found myself in the college chorus preparing for a set of 4 performances of Mahler's 2nd Symphony with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic in Carnegie Hall.  After sitting on the stage behind the orchestra, watching Bernstein conduct, through a week of rehearsals and concerts (and singing along for the last 15 minutes), I could conduct the symphony by myself without a score (of course, exactly as Bernstein had) and became addicted to classical music for the next 60+ years.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I started off with Mahler in 1959.  I knew no classical music and cared less, but I found myself in the college chorus preparing for a set of 4 performances of Mahler's 2nd Symphony with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic in Carnegie Hall.  After sitting on the stage behind the orchestra, watching Bernstein conduct, through a week of rehearsals and concerts (and singing along for the last 15 minutes), I could conduct the symphony by myself without a score (of course, exactly as Bernstein had) and became addicted to classical music for the next 60+ years.

Ah I am so envious of that experience! How lucky you were to witness that from up close. 

I have watched a Mahler rehearsal by Bernstein with the Vienna Philharmonic on YouTube. I can see how that turns one on to classical music.

https://youtu.be/UvBbe8Nkgz8

Talking about Bernstein, and his musical genius, I was shocked and thrilled by his interpretation and speed of the 4th movement of Shostakovich No 5.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Try You Tube.

The beauty (for me) of Spotify, is that you can save liked music,the app asembles favourites for you, "daily mix"  includes similar musical genre you may not have heard, and introduces voices you may not be aware of. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning...

No matter how terrible his thinking, Wagner's music is amazing.

Therefore, one must remember to discriminate between the music of great composers, such as Beethoven and Wagner, and their glorious compositions, as opposed to their political beliefs, or their, possibly, disgusting habits.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No matter how terrible his thinking, Wagner's music is amazing.

Therefore, one must remember to discriminate between the music of great composers, such as Beethoven and Wagner, and their glorious compositions, as opposed to their political beliefs, or their, possibly, disgusting habits.

I don't know what your on about, I was remembering the scene in the movie Apocalypse Now that OnemoreFarang was thinking of when he posted it...

16 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I don't know what your on about, I was remembering the scene in the movie Apocalypse Now that OnemoreFarang was thinking of when he posted it...

Only speaking about well-known controversy, concerning Wagner's political views.

And, here is not the right place to discuss this, no doubt. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, jvs said:

One of my favorites but there are lots more!

I listen to all kinds of music everyday.

Usually by headphones but sometimes i crank up the old stereo set,sounds great!

Yes my Thai partner also likes some classical music.

I rarely listen to classical music , but this is my fav also .

I enjoyed Four Seasons.

However as I've aged I rarely listen to anything I have to make the effort to play, preferring to just switch on the radio channel that only plays 50s, 60, and 70s. I'm pretty good at blocking out the ads.

Pity though, as I have a lot of excellent music on disc, but when it's just for background music and not actually "listening" there doesn't seem much point.

I buy music DVDs in op shops for a couple of $, but never seem to make the time to watch them. Perhaps when I can't do anything anymore they''ll fill in the day.

On 1/29/2022 at 5:58 PM, Paulaew said:

I listen to all kinds of music, but especially classical, jazz, and blues. I'm currently learning blues piano.

One of my favorite classical pieces is Ravel's String Quartet in F Major. The pizzicato passage in the 2nd movement is remarkable. But the whole quartet is a real joy.

My wife mostly listens to Thai music and sometimes sends me songs that I like. But she is a big fan of George Harrison's While my guitar gently weeps, especially the version with India Arie, Carlos Santana and Yo-Yo Ma.

Paul Laew

Have to agree, not classical per se, but definitely a classic...........