Young man "with well known surname" kills road worker on expressway in Bangkok - breath test ordered

webfact

11 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I'm involved in this sort of work in my home country, actually the road markings side after carriageway is re surfaced.

Two lane carriageway, standard procedure is total road closure, on the section being re surfaced.

One of the things I do like about Thailand is that the don’t cause further traffic mayhem by closing a whole road when re-surfacing 50m of one lane....    

The UK love of cones, road closures etc borders on the moronic..... but I get it, its health and safety and the workers need to be protected from idiots....   

In this case, I wonder how well lit the area was, how much warning of road works there was etc before the lanes were narrowed from 2 to 1.....    But, would that have made a difference anyway in this case ? maybe... 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One of the things I do like about Thailand is that the don’t cause further traffic mayhem by closing a whole road when re-surfacing 50m of one lane....    

Sometimes they don't even close the lane with a ruddy great 10ft deep hole in it......

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:
1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It said that he smelled of alcohol, it didn't say that he "reeked" of it. and blood tests are not done at the roadside at the scenes of accidents.

I'm afraid you are incorrect - 

In the latest terrible accident an innocent road surfacing worker called Ekachai, 33, was killed

I'm afraid that you are incorrect, nowhere on this thread/OP, which is what is being discussed has the word "reeked" used, apart from by you.

Liverpool Lou... you are just being utterly silly now and are making yourself appear foolish.... 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1248552-latest-accident-stats-21-dead-saturday-as-drunk-driver-kills-road-worker/

537851_Screenshot2022-01-31at15_06_09.png.61a3f9e9617d8b4038554dad5e052a3c.png

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The UK love of cones, road closures etc borders on the moronic..... but I get it, its health and safety and the workers need to be protected from idiots....   

In this case, I wonder how well lit the area was, how much warning of road works there was etc before the lanes were narrowed from 2 to 1.....    But, would that have made a difference anyway in this case ? maybe... 

UK they close the road between access junctions, wether it be m ways or A roads, so as not to close the whole road. The idea is as you say safety first, zero incidents involving work force.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Utterly disgusting. He had not been breath tested by the police asking instead that he remain in the hospital. 

Huh? They could not administer a breate test on site? Equipment too mickey mouse, or need to talk to daddy first? The reason why these creeps rarely get charged, is obvious enough. It is all about the money. You are above the law here, if you are worth over 250 million baht. Any and all laws. A truly regressive system. 

Any why the pathological fear of defamation? Homicidal creeps like this loser should be called out by name. Shame the families. That is the least we can do. 

Probably asked him to pop into the local police station some time in the next few weeks for a breath test......if its not a bother that is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The sad part about that statement is that many families here will accept the money without a worry about the dead relative

Well, in 'our' system the family would be left with nothing. The Thai way is to say the deed has been done, he's dead and nothing will bring him back, now it's in the past and we move on. Not our way, but the Thai way does have at least some merit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good luck with insisting what you want to the Thai Police. 

Last time I took a breath test the Police took me aside and used a different machine from the one that they were using to test the Thais. 

They tested me in a different area as well, with no surveillance. 

My Thai colleague whom I was travelling with insisted they were trying to set me up for extortion, even though I hadn't been drinking and wasn't over the limit. 

And were you set up, I think not otherwise you would have mentioned it ?

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, in 'our' system the family would be left with nothing. The Thai way is to say the deed has been done, he's dead and nothing will bring him back, now it's in the past and we move on. Not our way, but the Thai way does have at least some merit.

I agree with you partly, because by doing so they escape prosecution. Thus they will never learn and can buy themselves out of anything. But for the family of the dead person it might be better not for society as a whole. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Those who are above the law feel no shame. Didn't have any effect with the Red Bull family, did it.

Well maybe, maybe not. They certainly do not seem to mind using their wealth to buy their way out of legal charges. To cause a death and feel no guilt or shame, or responsible for  it requires a pathological degree of insanity, or sickness. Whether all of "those super freak people" are sick in the head, or not I have no idea. Perhaps a society that instills a sense of being super special, and in another class, within the rich, also breeds a degenerate morality in that class? If so, perhaps the hi-so are the degenerate class. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not really....    because its short sighted....    The reason someone is going to get killed by a drunk driver tonight is because someone with a bit of money got off lightly last year... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Just another murder on the Thailand highway

Yes, but as it s the basis for thai "law", status of the victim and the driver matters.

Road worker, policeman, fishball vendor, van full of commuters, two students - no problem

Noted opthamologist - big problem

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well maybe, maybe not. They certainly do not seem to mind using their wealth to buy their way out of legal charges. To cause a death and feel no guilt or shame, or responsible for  it requires a pathological degree of insanity, or sickness.

One of the main reasons is their belief that they deserve to be rich and above everyone because of what they did in a past life and anything they do in this life has no consequence as they will pay for it in the next life.

I am not an apologist for the driver, but road workers constantly wander about on main roads,  with no warning that work is going on ahead, bar a couple of cones placed around a parked vehicle.  The likelihood of coming across a bunch of workers at motorway speeds is considerable. They need to get their act together and give much more warning of upcoming works, at least 1km  before, as they do in most western countries and post speed restrictions. Then enforce them. . 

I just wonder if all of these News stories of road deaths which seem to occur daily, are they  printed in Thai news outlets?       because the message sure is'nt getting across to Thai's and thier dangerous driving 

49 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

One of the main reasons is their belief that they deserve to be rich and above everyone because of what they did in a past life and anything they do in this life has no consequence as they will pay for it in the next life.

So, they don't actually believe the Buddhist teachings? One would think karma would be some sort of a deterrent, for a non sociopath.