Young man "with well known surname" kills road worker on expressway in Bangkok - breath test ordered

webfact

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

The young driver reeked of alcohol, said the media. - This being the case he should have received a blood test immediately 

It said that he smelled of alcohol, it didn't say that he "reeked" of it. and blood tests are not done at the roadside at the scenes of accidents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Range Rover driver speeding, avoiding police drug test…   We all know what’s going on here. 

No, "we all" do not know what is going on here",  Where did it say that he "avoided a police drug test".   

Where did it say that he was "speeding" by which you're obviously suggesting that he was exceeding the speed limit?   100kph/62mph was mentioned, that's all. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

An immediat blood test could lead to an unwanted result. Better make the test 24 hours later, says Daddy.

Blood tests cannot be done at the roadside.  Breath tests can but he is having blood tests done in hospital and it is easy to calculate the blood alcohol content at the time of the accident several hours later.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
2 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

I never knew that alcohol breath tests were optional!

Not for poor people or farangs they're not. 

Yes, they are, drivers can refuse and insist on a proper, accurate blood test.  For refusals of blood tests there are consequences.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, they are, drivers can refuse and insist on a proper blood test.  For refusals of blood tests there are consequences.

Good luck with insisting what you want to the Thai Police. 

Last time I took a breath test the Police took me aside and used a different machine from the one that they were using to test the Thais. 

They tested me in a different area as well, with no surveillance. 

My Thai colleague whom I was travelling with insisted they were trying to set me up for extortion, even though I hadn't been drinking and wasn't over the limit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It said that he smelled of alcohol, it didn't say that he "reeked" of it. and blood tests are not done at the roadside at the scenes of accidents.

I'm afraid you are incorrect - 

In the latest terrible accident an innocent road surfacing worker called Ekachai, 33, was killed

I'm afraid that you are incorrect, nowhere on this thread/OP, which is what is being discussed has the word "reeked" used, apart from by you.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is just categorically untrue, there have been a number of cases of hisos being convicted in similar traffic-related accidents. 

Link?

Search.

Off the top of my head, a driver who killed someone at a bus stop in Ekkamai.  The driver who killed two people rear-ending them on a highway causing their car to burst into flames.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm afraid that you are incorrect, nowhere on this thread/OP, which is what is being discussed has the word "reeked" used, apart from by you.

I suggest you check out all reports on this not just the ones that suit you, I do agree that blood tests are not usually done at the roadside but should have been completed upon arrival at the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good luck with insisting what you want to the Thai Police. 

Last time I took a breath test the Police took me aside and used a different machine from the one that they were using to test the Thais. 

They tested me in a different area as well, with no surveillance. 

My Thai colleague whom I was travelling with insisted they were trying to set me up for extortion, even though I hadn't been drinking and wasn't over the limit. 

Well, finish the story, were you set up for extortion or not?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Judging by the damage shown in the photos and the fact the driver of the pickup was catapulted 20 meters, I would suggest 100kph is conservative. 

Cars are designed that way, they're called crumple zones and often display severe damage in order to absorb as much of the impact as possible and kinetic energy has a powerful effect on people unsecured on a open vehicle.   Which "pickup" are you referring to, there wasn't one involved in this accident.

• Haha 1

When I first settled here 17 years ago it became immediately & blindingly obvious within a month that there were actually NO RULES. 

western standards & practices clearly do not apply to Crime & Traffic here. They apply perhaps only to technical standards for Health, but even then it’s Buyer Beware. However, Health sector might indicate possible other modernization eventually. 

This is present Thai Culture.

They like it or accept it this way.

They are capable of further change driven by best outside practice.

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Search.

You are the one making the assertion, the onus is on you to provide the proof. 

Do not alter my comments in a quote in a way that the context/content is changed, it is not allowed under forum rules.  I gave you two examples.

"Search.

Off the top of my head, a driver who killed someone at a bus stop in Ekkamai.  The driver who killed two people rear-ending them on a highway causing their car to burst into flames".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're not, but that's what happens in hospitals, like it or not.

Do I have to like it or not? By the way a friend of mine in the UK did have a blood test while being treated so I suppose it does depend on the treatment, he wad also charged with DUI

He certainly looks ok.......   he was taken to the Expressway Police Station...  clearly in no need of an ambulance then...   

Found to be injured ??.. how exactly... he certainly looks capable of breathing into a breathalizer in this photograph...  (below). 

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/sad-young-man-with-a-famous-surname-driving-a-luxury-car-crashes-into-a-worker-scraping-the-surface-of-the-traffic-1-dead-1-serious/

After the accident, he was taken to the Expressway Police Station 1, but was found injured. was sent to Theptarin Hospital for treatment and have the doctor check for alcohol in the blood to be included in the case Currently waiting for the results of the examination

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 13.59.56.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

The young driver reeked of alcohol, said the media. - This being the case he should have received a blood test immediately 

I am not sure, but I doubt the police can order a blood sample be taken ....

I'm involved in this sort of work in my home country, actually the road markings side after carriageway is re surfaced.

Two lane carriageway, standard procedure is total road closure, on the section being re surfaced.

48 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Do I have to like it or not? By the way a friend of mine in the UK did have a blood test while being treated so I suppose it does depend on the treatment, he wad also charged with DUI

This is not the UK.

Instead here Private hospital suite where the poor lad can be provided the necessary care like rest oyxgen,  a six-pack of  sports drinks then accurate blood tests can be taken in 18-24 hours.

• Like 1

Although it is very sad, and the car was probably going too fast, BUT this type of road maintenance on the Highways (specially H7 which I am on mostly) is pathetically marked and just waiting for these type of accidents,

eg: Yesterday driving BKK-Pattaya on H7 around the Lat Krabang area in the outside lane, I came around a slight curve, and about 30 m in front was one lone orange cone, and 3 workers about 10 m in front of it. luckily the traffic was light and I could veer over quickly, but it is heart stopping when you have to react so very fast.

At worst the cones should have been laid at least a 100m back and very visible