Thailand restores quarantine-free entry – and this time the whole world is invited

webfact

4 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Ok boomer.

But whose science? Yours? Somebody elses? The governments science? If so which government?

There is NO absolute 100% truth anywhere.

For every group that says one thing, you can find another group saying the opposite. So how does anybody decide what is the real truth?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, starky said:

Again it's not 2 nights it's basically confined to quarters until you results come back and yeah the day 5 thing is new and something that makes no sense but if I was looking to get back for example I would do the few hours at the novotel like I did before and then have to do it again up home on day 5. Its not ideal and sure it's a bit of a money grab bit most of the people commenting have zero experience with any quarantine at all and just love a whinge. I've done the full 2 weeks multiple times in multiple countries so if it is what it is personally I can cop a few hours in a hotel on non consecutive days if required. Calling it no quarantine is of course ridiculous but your hardly sloughed up either so you will or you won't I guess.

I was under the impression that you have the test one day and get the result the next after staying the night in the hotel which for a test on arrival and on day 5 is 2 nights albeit not consecutive ones. Unless of course the results come back the same day but I've not done it so I don't know I'm just going by what I've heard.

When it was 15 nights I was prepared to do it to get home but although I've spent many a night in hotels of varying quality It's never been for that many nights and confined to a room so I wasn't sure how well I'd cope. My other issue was that I'd be spending that money for me to stay there when I'd rather spend it on the the wife as well. Thinking the rules would ease eventually I decided to wait but health issues got in the way so but now I'm looking at coming back at the end of February or the beginning of March. The rules as they are with the 2 tests are something I can cope with although a second test doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't be happy if I tested positive on day 5 after possibly contracting it from someone already in the country who is under less restrictions. 

This is a situation that I can understand isn't going to look good for tourists though so I wouldn't expect many to take it up. For those of us who live in Thailand or who are on a longer stay as tourists then even though some of it clearly isn't based on scientific facts it's better than nothing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I was under the impression that you have the test one day and get the result the next after staying the night in the hotel which for a test on arrival and on day 5 is 2 nights albeit not consecutive ones. Unless of course the results come back the same day but I've not done it so I don't know I'm just going by what I've heard.

When it was 15 nights I was prepared to do it to get home but although I've spent many a night in hotels of varying quality It's never been for that many nights and confined to a room so I wasn't sure how well I'd cope. My other issue was that I'd be spending that money for me to stay there when I'd rather spend it on the the wife as well. Thinking the rules would ease eventually I decided to wait but health issues got in the way so but now I'm looking at coming back at the end of February or the beginning of March. The rules as they are with the 2 tests are something I can cope with although a second test doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't be happy if I tested positive on day 5 after possibly contracting it from someone already in the country who is under less restrictions. 

This is a situation that I can understand isn't going to look good for tourists though so I wouldn't expect many to take it up. For those of us who live in Thailand or who are on a longer stay as tourists then even though some of it clearly isn't based on scientific facts it's better than nothing. 

Did you read my response before replying at least? Your required to travel to the hotel take your pcr test and then stay in your room till you get your result from the hospital. I can't speak for every test and go hotel but the Novotel and Suvarnabhumi where I stayed guarantees your result within 6 hours and has 24 hr testing facility. So dependent on when you arrive you will be out within 6-8 hours after that depending on how many people from your flight are also staying at the novotel you do not have to stay overnight. Not sure where people get this from. Some hotels may have slower or faster hospitals working for them but you only have to stay in the room until you get your test back.

Don't really understand your response tbh you were prepared to do 15 nights but now wouldn't consider a few hours?

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Yes invited to spend more money on PCR tests and hotels, what alot of nonsense.

And if positive off to quarantine, more expense.

Other countries have a single approach but not here.

You have the CCSA, provincial government, provincial health etc all with differing criteria and processes, Thai bureaucracy at it's best.

A complete mess.

Luckily there are other places to go. Many countries are cashing in. Thailand has lost it's appeal to me. The horrible pollution, Senseless Thai bureaucracy, Just an endless quagmire of nonsence. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

But whose science? Yours? Somebody elses? The governments science? If so which government?

There is NO absolute 100% truth anywhere.

For every group that says one thing, you can find another group saying the opposite. So how does anybody decide what is the real truth?

Well, for most people, the Scientific Method works. On the other hand, crazy people declare that what they think is true, is reality. That approach doesn't really work for most of them. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, starky said:

Did you read my response before replying at least? Your required to travel to the hotel take your pcr test and then stay in your room till you get your result from the hospital. I can't speak for every test and go hotel but the Novotel and Suvarnabhumi where I stayed guarantees your result within 6 hours and has 24 hr testing facility. So dependent on when you arrive you will be out within 6-8 hours after that depending on how many people from your flight are also staying at the novotel you do not have to stay overnight. Not sure where people get this from. Some hotels may have slower or faster hospitals working for them but you only have to stay in the room until you get your test back.

Don't really understand your response tbh you were prepared to do 15 nights but now wouldn't consider a few hours?

I don't think you've read my reply.

"I was under the impression that you have the test one day and get the result the next after staying the night in the hotel which for a test on arrival and on day 5 is 2 nights albeit not consecutive ones. Unless of course the results come back the same day but I've not done it so I don't know I'm just going by what I've heard."

I thought I was pretty clear why I wasn't keen on the 15 night stay although I would have done it but I never said I wouldn't consider the current Test & Go scheme.  I would do it and unless things change (which they might) that's what I'll be doing. If you're right about the the time scale then it'll be even easier.

"The rules as they are with the 2 tests are something I can cope with although a second test doesn't make any sense."

"For those of us who live in Thailand or who are on a longer stay as tourists then even though some of it clearly isn't based on scientific facts it's better than nothing." 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

But masks don't stop you from catching Covid, they (allegedly) reduce transmission. So the 5 day wait is not to catch out the unmasked. 

No, of course it is not targeted at the unmasked..... but the point is, a new arrival, who has yet to have the 5 day test, is likely to come from a country that does not have a mask regime, and hence not practice those protection measures. As a new arrival by air they must have  a slightly higher chance of carrying infection. 

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Well, for most people, the Scientific Method works. On the other hand, crazy people declare that what they think is true, is reality. That approach doesn't really work for most of them. 

As I asked before, which Scientific Method? There is no real answer as it depends on which government and which Scientific Method.

On the other hand, crazy people declare that what they think is true, is reality. But isn't that what your doing? Who says that crazy people (according to your ideas) are are wrong and therefore crazy. They, like you, claim to be right.

• Confused 1