15-year-old boy dies, 13-year-old boy seriously injured after pickup truck collides with motorbike in Chonburi

webfact

KVO4jr8TzV7LxPDR_103115-696x393.jpg

PHOTO: Wisarn Sangjaroen / Top News

By Goong Nang(GN)

Chonburi – A 15-year-old boy has died while a 13-year-old boy has sustained severe injuries after a pickup truck collided with their motorbike in the Phan Thong district over the past weekend.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident on the Phan Thong – Ban Bueng Road in the Nong Hong sub-district.

First responders arrived at the scene to find the 13-year-old boy and 15-year-old boy lying on the road. They had both sustained severe injuries. The 15-year-old-teenager was later pronounced dead at the scene by medical teams.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/31/15-year-old-boy-dies-13-year-old-boy-seriously-injured-after-pickup-truck-collides-with-motorbike-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-01-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 4

45 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

As per the full article, it seems as if the pickup has pulled out without looking, and the bike has hit it.

Bike has racing mods, suspension, tyres etc, so we can assume it was not being driven in a careful or proper manner either. 

And... the carnage continues. 

Difficult to really know what happened, night time did the bike have it's lights on or as you suggest did the pickup pull out without looking needs to be confirmed.

Sad and hard to comment.

No witnesses?

One dead motorbike rider out of 21 yesterday.

(and that is a very quiet day compared to the pre Covid past, schools closed seems to save many lives but not for Covid reasons!)

News only in the Pattaya tabloids.

Would notice here only if the smoke rises and the bangers go off at the crematorium.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

15 year is too young to ride on a motorbike that is not speedlimited...

Tell that to the authorities.

By theory the 15yr old could have a license to ride a 110ccm "small" bike.

They go close to 100 km/h (>60 mph) unmodified.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Tell that to the authorities.

By theory the 15yr old could have a license to ride a 110ccm "small" bike.

They go close to 100 km/h (>60 mph) unmodified.

Is that true that a 15Yo can legally drive a motorbike of 110CC

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Bike has racing mods, suspension, tyres etc, so we can assume it was not being driven in a careful or proper manner either. 

What's all this "we can assume..."?   You can assume that, you could also assume that is was being ridden in a proper manner given no evidence otherwise.

"The pickup truck driver, Mr. Jeerasak Gornkorn, 36, told TPN media, “I was unable to see the motorbike when I was crossing the road in my pickup truck.”

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes.

It's limited to 110ccm until 20yr old (legally).

Was doing my motorcycle license from scratch in 2017 and was the old fart sitting with many under 18.

OMG!

At what age can they start on what size bike or is it 15yo & 110CC?

12 minutes ago, DezLez said:
19 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes.

It's limited to 110ccm until 20yr old (legally).

Was doing my motorcycle license from scratch in 2017 and was the old fart sitting with many under 18.

OMG!

At what age can they start on what size bike or is it 15yo & 110CC?

It's 15 riding a bike under 110cc, 18 for any larger engine size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I hope the parents of the 13yo did not know/allow him to get on the bike with a 15yo driver or is that also normal?

How do you know which one was driving?

Ah, I see, reportedly the 15yo... reported by who? Not the pick-up driver, he didn't see the bike!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

It was being driven by a child....

But a 15 year old can legally ride a small bike here in Thailand. I was doing it illegally a lot younger than that 'back in the day.'

Whether or not he had a licence, a properly-registered bike, was wearing a helmet and driving within safe limits are all open to speculation. I'm just as likely to 'assume' the pickup driver pulled out in front of him as I am to say he was riding dangerously.

We will never know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, 2long said:

But a 15 year old can legally ride a small bike here in Thailand. I was doing it illegally a lot younger than that 'back in the day.'

Whether or not he had a licence, a properly-registered bike, was wearing a helmet and driving within safe limits are all open to speculation. I'm just as likely to 'assume' the pickup driver pulled out in front of him as I am to say he was riding dangerously.

We will never know.

Did he have a licence that you are aware of...?

Anyhow, 15 is still a child surely. 

Yes vehicles will pull out in front of bikes often.... then claim not to have seen them, despite the garish paint job. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How do you know which one was driving?

It says he was in the story from Pattaya News as quoted in the OP!

"The older boy was reportedly the motorbike driver, the younger boy was a passenger."

Edited by DezLez

6 minutes ago, 2long said:

"The older boy was reportedly the motorbike driver, the younger boy was a passenger."

Thank You.... I did read the PN report but heck what can I say, old age!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What's all this "we can assume..."?   You can assume that, you could also assume that is was being ridden in a proper manner given no evidence otherwise.

"The pickup truck driver, Mr. Jeerasak Gornkorn, 36, told TPN media, “I was unable to see the motorbike when I was crossing the road in my pickup truck.”

Can we therefore also assume that the ‘tint’ on the pickup was too dark ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What tint are you making assumptions about?

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:
2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Expand  

Expand  

What tint are you making assumptions about?

The legal tint level in Thailand is 30% (i.e. blocks 30% of visible light). 

I had 20% of my windscreen and side window, 30% on rear side window and and rear window. 

Now... How many cars do you see driving around without tint ?.... how many do you see driving around with tint which isn’t clearly too dark ??.... 

I know you will want to present an inane argument that we can’t possibly know that because we don’t test every car... that level of facetiousness is directly out of your obfuscation playbook....  

We can either go off the reports which are extremely limited on information... we don’t know if the boys were wearing helmets or not etc...  we don’t know if the tint was too dark etc...  we don’t know if the boys were ghost riding, we don’t know if the boys were speeding or not etc....

BUT.... we can make reasonable assumptions based on what we witness on a daily basis....  and when an accident such as this occurs it is a fair assumption that the boys were speeding, they had no helmets on and the tint on the pickup was too dark which is why the driver didn’t see the motorcycle..... 

I am also making the reasonable assumption that you would argue black is white because you read it in a report. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He was riding an engine size-limited bike, not prohibited to 15-year olds.

He is just too young.......first an education and a decent test and than on the road..... But most kids learn to drive early and make mistakes and it is almost impossible to correct the things they wrongly learned...