Thailand plans to fill Saudi Arabia’s labour need with vocational students

webfact

3 minutes ago, connda said:

The Saudis generally want skilled labor, like engineers. At a tech school level - underwater welding.  They can train the locals to become oil rig roustabouts. 

So all the room mates, nannys and construction workers from the Phillippines and Bangladesh have degrees?

• Haha 2

Guys, going to work in Saudi Arabia is about appealing to some, as living in a 3rd world military dictatorship!

The UK and US have been selling arms in great numbers to the Saudi's so they can bomb Yemen.

I would be more concerned about that then Thai kids getting work visas but hey ho.

9 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Modern state sponsored slavery and human trafficking of your population, annouced as a win for Thais. Disgusting.

But Thais like Philippinos have always been expat workers remitting much needed money to their home country. In 1990 the blue diamond affair put an end to  that and an important  source  of money dried  up. From now on they will have the chance, the opportunity to work in the Middle  East again.

6 hours ago, Dcheech said:

Saudi Arabia is in the middle of a long term effort to "localize jobs" and reduce its foreign work force. Localize jobs is a polite way of saying they want their own nationals to do the work. They dropped over 250,000 foreign workers last year. Certainly they still employ a lot of foreign workers, yet trends are totally opposite of what this news release implies. 

However It does make a good headline, if you need to cover PM Gen Prayut real reason for visiting Saudi Arabia.

It's also called an indigensiation program and I worked on such programs in Saudi, Kuwait  and libya.  While locals are being trained to do engineering  maintenance, power  plant operations and other manual but skilled work the Saudis need skilled workers to do these jobs especially in the oil industry,  desalination, and power  generation. They need to be experienced  enough to train young Saudis. I can't see Thai Technical students fulfilling this role.  lol

4 hours ago, connda said:

Legalized human trafficking?  Make one wonder.  I've heard stories from Filipinos.  However if they are allowed to keep their passport and are given a good wage?  Well - I hope so.  It could be a win-win situation if the compensation is good.  It could also be a very sad story. Then you need to wonder how many Buddhist boys will return as Takfiri Wahhabists.  That will be great for Thailand.  Wonder if they have thought that one through?  ????

Nobody  keeps their passport in KSA. And anyway you could not use it to leave without  an exit permit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So all the room mates, nannys and construction workers from the Phillippines and Bangladesh have degrees?

Correct. You are Right.  There is another level of non skilled workers which you correctly point out and they include houseboys, and nannies,  street cleaners and unskilled labourers etc. These jobs will never be done by Saudis but will be taken by the expat workers who will accept  the lowest wage. I am not sure that Thais will work for lower wages than the  Nepalese . Some countries  forbid their women going  to work as nannies, Indonesia I think.  In Saudi the Saudis I trained were maintenance  engineers and the Philippinos I knew were highly trained medical staff.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sending laborers from a country with a poor human rights record to a country with an atrocious human rights record…. 

…. What could possibly go wrong ??? 

There are literally millions of expat workers living all round the world especially in the MENA region. THEY ARE NOT SENT. They want to go. It's not just that their wages are better but that their savings ratio is greater. Many come from countries with poor human rights records such as India,  Bangladesh,  Philippines,  India, Sudan, Indonesia etc and work in countries with poor  human rights  record Kuwait,  UAE, Saudi,  Oman, Libya etc and thus fit in perfectly,  keep out of trouble,  don't break  laws, work hard and make money. I worked as an Expat in Iran,   Saudi, Thailand,  Burma,  Libya, Kuwait etc.  It's a way of life for some people. It requires initiative, tolerance, bravery, determination, open mindedness, good character judgement and adaptability..

Edited by The Hammer2021

I would advise any Thai not to go to Saudi Arabia for work - You can be an underpaid slave at home and no be trapped like a prisoner Do you really want to give up your passport  to be used and abused like a slave which is all you will be to them  , Let the Lazy Saudi's do a days work for once in their life 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 6:32 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

I lived in a shipping container in Libya.

My 'control room' was a container in Peru... we slept in those trailer home type things so was spoiled. We were double ring fenced with a minefield in the middle. 

• Like 1