PROS AND CONS, for/against Honda Wave v Honda Click

mercman24

On 2/4/2022 at 8:41 PM, Moonlover said:

It's a good thought. E bikes and trikes are becoming popular in our village. I've seen at least 5 new ones in recent months and I spotted a big new showroom for them when I was up in town earlier this week. It's the way to go.

DECO line up.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There's certainly some good choices around. You've got me thinking of buying one as a replacement for my wife's aging Click. 

As long as not going far, any one of them would do.  I have the SUSU model (not pictured), and speed spec was accurate, 80-90, and I've done 87 on it.  Range, as 'we' say, if NEDC rated = Not Even Damn Close ????  Apparently we'll never see perfect conditions, or wish to drive that slow for that long.

That said, mines rated for 120-150 km range, and I'd be lucky to get 100, if taking the battery down to -0-, which you would never want to do.  20% is lowest you'd really want to go, consistently, if that.  I'm good for 2 or 3 days before I have to plug in.  Do 20-30 kms a day.

Expect 30+ kms from the 20Ah batteries, and 40+ from the 30Ah.  Mine is 3000w/72v50Ah.  SUSU is big jump in price, 74k, and really not necessary.  You could buy 2 Sallys for that.  Why I didn't include it, plus wouldn't fit in 2 rows. ????

1000w scooters, the batteries are removable, 2&3k, not, so not really good for those in condos or apartments,   Spec in same motor size, are almost identical, just styling setting them apart.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As long as not going far, any one of them would do.  I have the SUSU model (not pictured), and speed spec was accurate, 80-90, and I've done 87 on it.  Range, as 'we' say, if NEDC rated = Not Even Damn Close ????  Apparently we'll never see perfect conditions, or wish to drive that slow for that long.

That said, mines rated for 120-150 km range, and I'd be lucky to get 100, if taking the battery down to -0-, which you would never want to do.  20% is lowest you'd really want to go, consistently, if that.  I'm good for 2 or 3 days before I have to plug in.  Do 20-30 kms a day.

Expect 30+ kms from the 20Ah batteries, and 40+ from the 30Ah.  Mine is 3000w/72v50Ah.  SUSU is big jump in price, 74k, and really not necessary.  You could buy 2 Sallys for that.  Why I didn't include it, plus wouldn't fit in 2 rows. ????

1000w scooters, the batteries are removable, 2&3k, not, so not really good for those in condos or apartments,   Spec in same motor size, are almost identical, just styling setting them apart.

Great, thanks for your time. I'll pay a visit to that big new showroom next time I'm in town.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Yes I do, but those fumes are not consistantly in my face and causing excessive noise pollution everywhere I walk daily. 

You chose to live in the Big City

The world should change to make YOUR life better ? 555

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Nothing I use in my home is polluting other peoples lives directly in this way AFAIK

So if the refineries, oil and gas wells, plastic factories, etc etc etc are not in YOUR yard - well, that's OK then.

You EV fanatics make me laugh - you are not so out of touch with reality

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, KhunLA said:

How much did it cost?

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

How much did it cost?

He's a msg I recently sent someone who asked for info / links of.  Screenshots of what I paid.  Welcome any corrections on my thoughts about motor & battery, as quite the novice myself.  Short answer

Both are out of stock:

Conversion kit I paid ฿7250, and was the last one in stock.  2 price drops since I bought it, and has not been restocked ????

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1316656511-s3263488040.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

image.png.f709166f9afba956e310c10cc8d5695d.png

The battery was ฿2890, and the cheapest 48v/30Ah battery I found.  As I stated, 30Ah is really questionable, and my range should be better than 15-20 kms, using approx 80%.  Happy with it, since cheap, and I don't need to go further than 20 kms.  I'm 80-85 kgs.

Batteries are really expensive, especially if going name brand; LG, Panasonic or Samsung.

Still out of stock also:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2907178430-s10636835484.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

image.png.e6a032757edc75374b69277bf4e07f54.png

Something to consider, using a 500w motor, as should increase your range.  I would still stick with a 48v motor / battery, or if going 1000w, up it to 60v motor/battery.   Along with with as much Ah as you can afford.

Power (Watts) is you v X Ah = watts.  So mine 48x30 has a potential of 1440w, as motor rated for minimum of 1000w.  Always make sure you v&Ah matches or exceeds you motor watts.

I'd test drive a 500w bike before going lower than 750 or 1000w.

Here's a ballpark idea how much 'store bought' ebikes are:

https://www.bkkebike.com/e-bike-thailand

I had my Schwinn, as I said is heavy, and only 7 speed, so slow going, though fine, as I didn't go far on it, since 1.5 kms from surfside road, and <5 kms from swimmer's beach.

Schwinn @ 11k + 7.4 + 2.9฿21.3k e-bike (1000w 48v/30Ah), so not bad at all.  Could have cut 5k off, by simply buying a cheaper bike and converting that, but had the Schwinn, so why not.  Also moving a few more kms away from surf soon next month, and know I probably wouldn't ride much more.

Anything I can help with, feel free to ask.  Only thing I had to mod, was swapping out the controller & battery leads, as not compatible, so used xt60's, which I had from my other e-toys.  Cheap and available if not having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Thought I would be getting a Wave but the Click 160 ABS looks to a better solution for me ATM.

I want the higher hp for 2 people but also need the more nimble feel (small gf) and open foot area for shopping etc. 

I love the latest Nmax overall but is a little big for the gf and not as practical.

Pull the trigger now?  Will Honda follow up with a Wave 160 soon you think na?

Edited by farangkrab
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally for a small cc scooter type I prefer the wave 125, it has plenty of low end for the both of us. We’ve it taken up some pretty steep spots with both of us in first gear and very agile in the congested areas. We have a click in the city, next trip to the village will be swapping for the wave. Though personal preference varies differently from individual to individual so it’s best to barrow or rent each one for a week. My only gripe about the wave is the up-side-down shift pattern, push down to go up a gear, so after riding the wave for a while it messes me up when I hop on my 6 speed and vice-versa.

The wave has gotten as much as 72km/L!

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1