Issue with Google translate on mobile device.

hotchilli

Hi just had an update on google translate on my mobile, since then the camera function seems to be non-performing.

It scans but won't translate.
I uninstalled the app and re-installed from Playstore. [Google translate 100 languages]

I have entered Thai <-> English but all I seem to get are advertisements and Lazada... really pees me off.

Also I can't seem to get a shortcut icon so I can easily open the app from my home/front page.

Anyone else had recent issues with this version?

Or recommendations for a better one?

I have more or less the same experience and it begon December last year.

My iPhone 8, the front camera was not working anymore so I bought a used iPhone X but with Google translate I can't switch on the camera for translating Thai to Dutch or English.

The possibillity to use the camera disappeared in the app.

3 hours ago, Tubulat said:

I have more or less the same experience and it begon December last year.

My iPhone 8, the front camera was not working anymore so I bought a used iPhone X but with Google translate I can't switch on the camera for translating Thai to Dutch or English.

The possibillity to use the camera disappeared in the app.

My iPhone 6 plus responded since yesterday suddenly different. The camera is now used to make a picture and the translation from Thai to Dutch works much better and faster.

Edited by Max Brok
mistake

Someone here recently put me onto a great alternative to translate language in images. When you have "Tap To Translate Screen" open, it leaves a small movable icon on your desktop which will translate any screen without needing to screenshot it. You just make its settings to stay open on top of other apps and it's there while you're browsing websites, etc. 

Can you describe how you used this application before, when it worked satisfactorily?

You used it LIVE? Or took a photo?

Does normal text (copy and paste) translation work?

Jiggle the camera option from Auto to front or back.

I'm sure it's something simple.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, hotchilli said:

but all I seem to get are advertisements and Lazada.

Not sure I understand this statement?

Screenshot_20220205-121131.png

Screenshot_20220205-121122.png

On 2/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, hotchilli said:

Also I can't seem to get a shortcut icon so I can easily open the app from my home/front page.

Long press on the icon, then drag it from where it resides (recently used, app tray, app screen, etc.) to your home screen, drop it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Also download Google Lens to translate photos

Agreed. Works LIVE or from a photo.

https://lens.google/

Lens may be baked into most Android phones - part of Assistant?

And Lens can be used for so so so much more. It's tag-line, "Search what you see" says it all.

Also baked into the desktop, with Chrome. Select an image, right-click, Search image with Google Lens

Lens icon

lens.jpg

40 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you describe how you used this application before, when it worked satisfactorily?

Finally got it worked out.

Found the icon buried in the back of no-where.. moved it to home screen.
The format is different from before but okay to use.

Using the camera LIVE function to read text is a bit hit and miss depending on the text size & amount of text..
Need to jiggle it around to get a reasonable translation from Thai into English.

Will persevere more.

Thx

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2022 at 1:01 PM, hotchilli said:

Need to jiggle it around to get a reasonable translation from Thai into English.

Will persevere more.

My experience with Google “Translate” app on an iPhone is that once open it is titled Google Lens and the instant translation is sometimes/often flaky, but when I take a picture the translation is good