Thailand Opts To Build Nuclear Power Plant

Jai Dee

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They can't even supply houses with electricity that does not blackout complete districts on a daily basis, and that's in Bkk.

Same goes for water supply, phones lines and internet nothing runs reliable here in Thailand.

Thai engineering will likely not be of high enough standards to run a nuclear generator safely , to take away any doubt in my mind I just add the corruption that will cut corners to allow them to steal money during construction.

"Nah those cooling pipes can be smaller then the specifications" , as he puts money he saves on buying bigger pipes in his pocket.....

This will be a disaster if they decide to go ahead with Nuclear !

Edited by brianinbangkok

For an alternative, my 2 satang worth = HEMP

On multiple levels, hemp could greatly ease the power shortages that are predicted. It's not psychosomatic by the way (it can't get you high).

Titter !

Its not psychoactive you mean. Psychosomatic is something completely different.

That's the problem with smoking too much weed.

It makes you forget things.

And another thing - It makes you forget things.

I'm all for nuclear, you're far less likely to die of something nasty living next to a nuke power plant than next to a coal one (actually that's no longer true with the new coal fired stations), things will be even better if we ever get fusion working.

BUT

Nuclear in LoS, NO WAY, as others have noted there's just too much risk of iffy construction etc. I just hope we never add Thailand to this list of major accidents http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001457.html

The push for nuclear energy is funded by the same corporations behind the global-warming scare. Follow the dots!

I was going to ask about that. Just why is it that just about every government in the world has recently gone nuclear loony?

It's obvious where the dots lead, but where - which same corporations - do they start?

Is it those darned Aussie uranium miners mentioned earlier? :o

The push for nuclear energy is funded by the same corporations behind the global-warming scare. Follow the dots!

I was going to ask about that. Just why is it that just about every government in the world has recently gone nuclear loony?

It's obvious where the dots lead, but where - which same corporations - do they start?

Is it those darned Aussie uranium miners mentioned earlier? :D

In fact, dont bother. It's a circle innit? In one pocket, out the other. :o

Any one got a link with the gen on Solar power panel manufacture causing untold enviromental damage instead?

This is frightening...really frightening. Imagine the worst conceivable nuclear reactor accident: the reactor core goes critical, overheats, a meltdown starts and the Thai guy at the control panel is red-green colour blind just like his fellow countrymen on the Sukhumvit Road!! Holy cr@p!!!!

The first sign of problems will be the two-headed jingjoks. Next, the spare/strange parts on people (like the man hands on Artisan's avatar girl).

Whoops......well spotted Ping! But I suppose it takes one to know the difference!!!!! :o:D

The first sign of problems will be the two-headed jingjoks. Next, the spare/strange parts on people (like the man hands on Artisan's avatar girl).

What are you talking about? Two headed jing joks are everywhere. Its the Thai equivalent of the four leafed clover!!! :o

Soundman.

I probably need to apologize for all the smart-a*s remarks I've made. Actually, this is one of the first times I've witnessed some forward thinking and planning. Maybe this is a new beginnings of sorts.

Most things, the sky-train, subway, a lot of the bridge and road projects were many decades late in coming.

Glad I said that, now I can go back to being a smart-a*s.

What are you talking about? Two headed jing joks are everywhere. Its the Thai equivalent of the four leafed clover!!! :D

Soundman.

... then just imagine how much luck two headed soi dogs will bring. :o

What are you talking about? Two headed jing joks are everywhere. Its the Thai equivalent of the four leafed clover!!! :D

Soundman.

... then just imagine how much luck two headed soi dogs will bring. :o

Or the two headed cow that appeared in a thread a few months ago.... Aparently it was sold for a fortune - to be eaten.... :D:D

Soundman.

Science and Technology Minister says Thailand to have nuclear power plant in 14 years

Science and Technology Minister Yongyuth Yuthawong says public participation is important in carrying forward the establishment of a nuclear power plant in Japan, while affirming that the radioactive waste can be used as a recycled energy.

Prof. Dr. Yongyuth says the study on the nuclear power plant in Japan is beneficial to Thailand. He says the people in Japan are actively participating in this establishment because they are concerned for the environmental impacts. They also help oversee its safety, while ensuring that their neighbouring communities are happy with the setting up of a nuclear power plant.

Meanwhile, Prof. Dr. Yongyuth says the radioactive waste can be used as a recycled energy. The radioactive waste will be taken to a factory in the North of Japan, and it will be converted into a renewable energy.

The Science and Technology Minister says Thailand is expected to have a nuclear power plant in the next 14 years, and the country has to follow and compare its technological advancement with Japan, France and the United States of America. He says there is a possibility that the radioactive wastes would be eliminated outside Thailand. As for the location, Prof. Dr. Yongyuth says it should be set up along the coastal location or on the island, but further studies will need to be conducted.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 June 2007

The problem with reporting is trying to ascertain the degree of accuracy. Jai Dee's source quotes Dr Yongyuth as saying that 'the radioactive waste can be used as a recycled energy', and later that 'there is a possibility that the radioactive wastes would be eliminated outside Thailand'. I would have thought that voters (hmmm?) would need to be assured that prior to Thailand committing to utilising this form of energy, a clear policy and binding arrangements can be guaranteed in respect of disposal of the spent materials. (Then again, perhaps Mid has summed-up at least part of the same issue with his concise offering above.)

The problem with reporting is trying to ascertain the degree of accuracy. Jai Dee's source quotes Dr Yongyuth as saying that 'the radioactive waste can be used as a recycled energy', and later that 'there is a possibility that the radioactive wastes would be eliminated outside Thailand'. I would have thought that voters (hmmm?) would need to be assured that prior to Thailand committing to utilising this form of energy, a clear policy and binding arrangements can be guaranteed in respect of disposal of the spent materials. (Then again, perhaps Mid has summed-up at least part of the same issue with his concise offering above.)

Nuclear waste a problem, Why? Thailand will be the first country in the world to have nuclear powered cars. I understand that the nuclear waste is 400 degrees F and it will stay hot for 200 years. That nuclear waste will be encapsulated and cars will be driven by steam turbines. What's a little radioactivity going to hurt? I would guess that the nuclear plant will be located on one of the sea coasts to have access to cooling water. Property values up country are going to increase drastically in value so get yours while you can.

Does anyone know how far that radioactivity will drift? :o

Coastal location sites: Songkla, Patani or Narrathiwat? But seriously, though... :o

(Edit to point out that this was a poor attempt at humour - before the lines become taut!)

Edited by Ping

• 2 weeks later...

Ministry of Science and Technology seeks to create public understanding concerning nuclear power

The Deputy Permanent Secretary of Science and Technology affirms that creating public understanding concerning the safety and benefits of nuclear technology is essential to aiding Thailand in developing nuclear power.

Deputy Permanent Secretary of Science and Technology Pathom Yamkate (ปฐม แหยมเกตุ) hosted a seminar on increasing public awareness of the benefits of nuclear power through the media. Mr. Pathom said that the Office of the Atoms for Peace will be the main agency responsible for creating public awareness and understanding concerning nuclear technology. France, which currently derives more than 80 percent of its electricity from nuclear power plants, will also be aiding Thai officials in providing information about nuclear power.

The Deputy Permament Secretary of Science and Technology revealed that public relations officials will be asked to cooperate in the nuclear power campaign in order to allow Thailand to successfully establish a nuclear power plant in the near future.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 July 2007

Nuclear plants must wait for changes to law

2004 law restricts atomic energy usage

ARANEE JAIIMSIN The government needs to amend a law regarding nuclear energy development to cover power production or Thailand cannot build any nuclear power plants in the future. Only small-scale activities without military applications, such as medical treatment and food preservation, are allowed to use nuclear energy under the country's Atomic Energy for Peace Act 2004, according to Kamol Takabut, director of the mechanical engineering division at the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat).

''Therefore, the scope of activities must be revised to cover nuclear power plants, too,'' said Dr Kamol, who is one of 10 experts in nuclear technology in Thailand.

Story Here

Soundman.

Nuclear race is on in Asia

» 07/10/2007 13:22

Ever more Asian states are building nuclear plants to have low cost, clean energy. But critics object to the risk of accidents, the danger that many may also have military technology and the possibility that plants may be targeted by terrorist groups.

snip

Thailand is conducting research for nuclear power with the aim of having a plant operational by 2020.

asianews.it

Malaysia To Build First Nuclear Monitoring Facility In Asean

July 14, 2007 19:11 PM

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced that Malaysia will build a Nuclear Monitoring Facility, the first of its kind in Asean, at a location in Bukit Ibam near here.

The RM100-million facility will be the 16th of its kind in the world.

snip

"Countries in South-East Asia have plans to build nuclear reactors to generate electricity. Indonesia will commence its nuclear energy programme in 2016, Vietnam in 2018 and Thailand in 2021.

"As such, this facility in Malaysia will help ensure there is no nuclear proliferation in the region," he added.

-- BERNAMA