Transporting Dog To Chiangmai

Basso53

I am looking at taking my 11 year old terrier(slowing down a lot now) to CM this year from Melbourne AU. Am in the situation where no family members will take him or anyone else for that matter so my committment is to remain with him until he dies or I do. Are there any people on this forum who have transported a dog (not on the young side) from Australia to CM. I have a health check set up for him on Tuesday where fitness to travel and vaccinations will be discussed. If the Vet considers he has a few years left he will be with me and my fiancee in ThaSala CM until more suitable accommodation can be found.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, eddiesdad said:

I've done this with 2 Boxers.

I'm guessing but a Terrier would probably have an average lifespan of 15 years so your dog is not "old" yet.

Here are some points -

Only certain airlines will take dogs.

You will need to apply for a dog import license. You can download all details online.

Dog must be chipped and have vaccinations plus paperwork to support this.

Dog has to travel in a crate with a water supply. The crate must be big enough for the dog to stand. The size of the dog/crate dictates whether it's possible to travel in the cabin with you or in the cargo hold. Usually only very small dogs get to travel in the cabin.

Check the size of your crate will pass through the airport scanner - yes, they do send the dogs through them . My dogs were big and the crate only just fitted through with a push.

My dogs came from a rabies free country so this made things easier. Check the status re your country.

Both times I did this I had an agent handle everything for me. It made it easier but expensive.

You could do it yourself but allow more time to get everything in place.

I had to get my dogs to the airport the night before the flight. They stayed at an animal compound in the airport. 

It's all possible but be prepared for a fair bit of work.

I don't think your dog is too old for this. As long as he/she is healthy it will be OK.

Just out of curiosity, if a small dog is allowed to travel in the cabin then you would pay for two seats, yes? I take it the dog would have to be sedated to stop it from barking and disturbing other passengers?

Edited by roo860

Wife flew from BKK to Singapore with chihuahua in carrier under her seat, then we flew from Singapore to Houston with dog in carrier under the seat. But small dog...Also the flight from SQ to IAH we did business class, wife is invalid in wheelchair. Dog was chipped and had a vaccine passport. Entering USA was no issue. Good luck as it can be done. 

As. Dazinoz  has suggested - I would strongly advise you to use a company like ‘Jetpets’. They should know all of the requirements and be able to advise you properly - but - they may be expensive!  Probably money well spent for peace of mind.

As a private practitioner veterinarian, I used to help arrange international transport of clients pets - but it became a minefield due to ever changing regulations from many countries. I eventually chose to ‘opt out’ and leave the work to the dedicated exporters!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

Just out of curiosity, if a small dog is allowed to travel in the cabin then you would pay for two seats, yes? I take it the dog would have to be sedated to stop it from barking and disturbing other passengers?

No. You pay per the weight of the dog plus cage at the rate of overweight. Same if it's in the cargo hold.

You could arrange all by yourself, but have to check with your airline. In Thailand some airlines demand you do it through animal transport agencies, other airlines allow the passenger or even travel agent take care of it. IDK how it's done in Australia.

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

So the dog needs to come from a rabies free country yet rabies is prevalent in thailand….

Rabies is not the only Canine disease of note in the world

A number of points here. Very few airlines allow dogs in cabin and must be able to fit in an underseat cage. Anything bigger than a Chihuahua forget it. In reality the dog will go to sleep in the climate controlled section of the hold. The dog must be vaccinated against rabies and microchipped at least 1 month before travel and have a medical certificate. Note that bull terriers other than English Staffordshire terriers are banned. It is generally far cheaper to take the dog as accompanied baggage. You can send by cargo but very expensive now that cargo rates generally have gone through the roof. In terms of age you do not need to worry about that. Although not required for travel ensure your dog is vaccinated against the usual canine diseases particularly distemper which is common here. The reason there is no requirement for vaccination against diseases other than rabies is because only rabies can be transmitted to humans.

My fiancee lives in a Thai village in CM; small house with only 1 aircon in a small bedroom......my Rough Coat JR X has recently been feeling the heat in my Melbourne home when we had a run of 30s so I want to have him live with us in CM with a similar level of comfort. My ideal is to live with us in her home until I can find a pet friendly rental with more space, garden and aircon.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, bbas3008 said:

My fiancee lives in a Thai village in CM; small house with only 1 aircon in a small bedroom......my Rough Coat JR X has recently been feeling the heat in my Melbourne home when we had a run of 30s so I want to have him live with us in CM with a similar level of comfort. My ideal is to live with us in her home until I can find a pet friendly rental with more space, garden and aircon.

But why not just put a floor fan on the dog, it will become acclimatised soon enough letting it have A/C it will never acclimatise. 

• Thanks 1

Get your doc to certify your dog as a 'emotional support' dog, and buy a seat for him.  

If he does ride / ship as excess bag or cargo, hope you have Thai fiancee, as if customs sees you, be prepared for a heavy duty or so I've read the horror stories of.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1