International Driving Permit. What is needed to get a Thai driving license?

Hi, I have my country domestic driving license and an International Driving License.

What do I have to do so that the DLT gives me a Thai driving license without the hussle of doing practical

and theoretical exam?

I have seen the e-learning video and answered successfully the questions.

I made an appointment with the DLT with the DLT Smart Que App using my Thai Tax ID,

because passport ID doesn't work.

I understand that I need the following documents:

- passport and copies.

- IDL, Domestic license from Home country.

- Certificate of residence from Immigration office

- Medical certificate

- ?

Do I need more besides money?

I want to do car and bike in one time. Do I need 2 medical- and residence certificates or can I copy them?

Foto's?

TIA 

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Home DL & a accompanied IDP copies for Thai motorbike DL if you have it on your home DL & and separate copies for Thai car DL attend at the DLT office and do a eye colour test and few other tests. 

So how does a person with one eye, color blind , and subject to small seizures(Petite mal ? ) fare  if in possession of a current valid  foreign license and IDP ?

44 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

So how does a person with one eye, color blind , and subject to small seizures(Petite mal ? ) fare  if in possession of a current valid  foreign license and IDP ?

They won't get a Thai DL in most DLT's.

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

I am not in the slightest colour-blind, but i do have a job with that chart every time, he goes a bit quick

On 2/7/2022 at 2:32 AM, KannikaP said:

How many times does it need to be said. There is no such thing as an International Driving Licence><

Who said anything about an International Drivers License? 

Too many of you here are hot to make a remark without a thought process.

11 minutes ago, novacova said:

Who said anything about an International Drivers License? 

Too many of you here are hot to make a remark without a thought process.

I find it interesting but don't think it's a mistake by people more a mis-understanding saying international driving licence as I found over the years working in different countries my Full UK DL was regarded as an IDL because I didn't need a IDP in those countries, I have never been to a country that needed a IDP to drive with my UK DL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I acquired both motorcycle and car drivers license, having an international permit certainly made everything a lot easier, though I don’t have a motorcycle endorsement. My wife suggested getting certified at a CM driving school. 1000฿ for the motorcycle course that took a couple days, Q&A on the PC on day 1, and driving course day 2. And only 200฿ for the car course since I had both a drivers license and international permit, that entailed only a 40 minute video of car accidents. They put all/made sure all the documents were in order, doing it this way I was able to take care of both at the same time. The next morning, day 3, I went to the DLT in hangdong, took a number waited about 10 minutes gave them the documents, green yellow red lights Q&A, waited about another 5 minutes, photo and print both license and out the door. It was a breeze. Very efficient office. I  only needed one copy of certificate of residence and medical with this process. Do note that with my experiences that any documents you submit to the government such as certificate of residence and health will not be returned to you. 

Edited by novacova
  • Like 2

I used an international driving licence to get car and bike licences in Thailand although they also asked to see my Australian licence to make sure I did have them, still had to do all the BS tests though, the only licence they wouldnt give me is the heavy truck licence, the man at that counter wanted money, told him he could shove that where the sun dont shine. You also have to re do the tests every 5 years as well and watch the absolutely BS video that is a joke at best, no wonder thais are so bad on the road with a garbage instructional video like that being used but they all ignore it and play with their phones anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I find it interesting but don't think it's a mistake by people more a mis-understanding saying international driving license 

Partly my point, too many troll around the site looking to put others down and conflate their meaning and trashing the threads. For what? What contribution does it offer? 

Edited by novacova
Why succumb to weakness of mind

29 minutes ago, novacova said:

Partly my point, too many troll around the site looking to put others down and conflate their meaning and trashing the threads. For what? What contribution does it offer? 

Yeah I have noticed it happening more since the name change from TV to AN, not only that the silly questions which just need a bit of common sense to solve themselves.

Also some of the threads going on for much longer now and turning into peeing contests. ????