Anyone know a cheap / free app for making international calls to a landline?

Kenny202

Looks like Skype will be the way to go. Your credit is ongoing? Like you deposit a certain amount and it deducts as you use it, doesn't reset / finish at the end of the month and you need to pay again?

Some of the other ones sound ok, and cheap...like $35 a year but really would make 4 or 5 calls a year if that, and usually only when I have a problem and need it fast, like when I had my Paypal account hacked or issues with the bank. I checked Line out as I use LINE but looks like you can only make calls up to 5 minutes. I would usually be on hold waiting for someone longer than that,

Thanks all for the advice

• Thanks 1

https://www.voipdiscount.com/country_subscriptions/info

Desktop & mobile apps

Topup 10 euro for 90 days of free landline calls to all countries in their list. [note: the original 10 euro's here is not spent during those 90 days and remains as a usable balance afterward]

Or pay 2 or 3 euros for 30 days of unlimited landline & cell calls to your choice of UK, USA, or Thailand.

Edited by OishiRefill
add info
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I also recommend Skype. I use it to call my elderly mother's landline and as others have mentioned, US$10 goes far with it. Being able to call US or Canadian 1-800 toll free numbers at no cost is an added bonus. I've done that many times when calling an airline, hotel or other organization. 

I would agree. If I ever need to call my UK bank or credit card I always use Skype, calls are usually free and very clear.

Only downside is they cannot call you back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WEBBYB808 said:

That would be a good joke, if you used the proper spelling of you're, and not your... two different  words, and two different  meanings.

What 'your' talking about 'pacifically' are your on the Specific Ocean?

It's my pet hate the word specifically that has morphed into pacifically. And the incorrect use of to too and two. 

15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I would agree. If I ever need to call my UK bank or credit card I always use Skype, calls are usually free and very clear.

That is the advantage of getting the Skype number. Call and receive on you cell phone. When you call they see the number you have in your home country and they can call you back to the same. The calls are clearer than the local calls here in Thailand. 35 USD. Since I have never tried, I don't know if it works over data.

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Skype is either a monthly plan or a pay for minutes plan.

Around $10 for 400 minutes to the UK.

Another $22/3 months if you want a UK phone number.

Works well for banks/tax office/pensions office.

I have a London phone number so nobody can see I'm not in the UK.

They can phone me back 'in London' for no charge to me.

You are the thriftiest man I know, with all the great Expat money saving tips so will definitely follow your advice 5555

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

That's the limit on a FREE call.

Paid calls are not limited in duration, other than the usual fair-use terms.

I don't mind paying something. Would be great to get free but hey. I just don't want to pay $XXX a month and lose it all and have to renew again as I make very few calls

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Most companies / banks I find will call you back at their expense wherever you are these days.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the OP is referencing the US however, I have a Skype UK landline number @ £35/year and top up at £10 possibly twice per year. Calls are approx 1.5p per minute to any landline or mobile. Calls to my UK landline are at local rate and the call is routed to me at no extra cost.

I feel sure there would be something similar in the US as Skype is a Microsoft company.

8 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

That is the advantage of getting the Skype number. Call and receive on you cell phone. When you call they see the number you have in your home country and they can call you back to the same. The calls are clearer than the local calls here in Thailand. 35 USD. Since I have never tried, I don't know if it works over data.

Do You know if you can receive sms's on a skype number?

7 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

That is the advantage of getting the Skype number.

The OP was asking about cheap methods, I don't see the Skype number as being very cheap,   particularly if usage is low.

When I make a call if they want to call back I just give them my Thai number.

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Most companies / banks I find will call you back at their expense wherever you are these days.

What I meant was that it is my understanding that free and cheap calls on Skype are generated from a pool of random numbers, so calls cannot be returned to the same number.

If you wish to receive a return call you need to advise another number.

You are quite right, I have never had a problem with entities making return calls to my Thai number at their expense.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The OP was asking about cheap methods, I don't see the Skype number as being very cheap,   particularly if usage is low.

My friends can call me for free since its a local number for them. Also many banks (in the US) won't take international numbers in their online security setup. And yes it does depend on how much you use it.

2 hours ago, willr said:

Go to settings on your phone and see if your supports wi fi calling.

If yes turn it on,

Then you may call any number you like whether mobile or landline.

What would be the international call charges? 

Will the call pass through 100% via WiFi? 

(My WiFi calling is enabled,  but I am charged normal rates even for local calls)

Edited by ravip
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Also many banks (in the US) won't take international numbers in their online security setup.

I have never been on the end of a call I have made using Skype  so I have no idea what number shows up, international or domestic.

All I do know is I have never had a problem getting through to the companies that I want to contact using Skype.

18 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Surely $5 AUD a month is cheap?

2 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

That is why I buy the number. I have had the same number for years.

At what cost?

I have had the same number for years, it was a freebie AIS PAYG sim in 2008, I just don't use it to make outgoing international calls, only incoming.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have never been on the end of a call I have made using Skype  so I have no idea what number shows up, international or domestic.

All I do know is I have never had a problem getting through to the companies that I want to contact using Skype.

OK we agree that Skype is the way to go. But I have the option to have them call back back instead of sitting on call waiting. I am only stating the advantage of having static number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That would be a personal perspective, it is always a matter of return for outlay.

I think most people would consider $5 per month cheap.

Value for money is a different matter.

I sometimes go months without needing to call, but I have peace of mind I can when I want to.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

My BIL won't use FaceBook because he believes they are commies. So I'm stuck trying to call him with a voice phone.

Tell him to call you ... ????

FB - commies, that's funny.  FB = the worst kind of capitalist.

And I'm all for capitalism, but they're scum.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1