30 day exempt to Non-Imm 'O' retirement?

9 hours ago, mrfaroukh said:

1- You must have 800 000 in the bank for at least 2 months which in your case it may be difficult if you don't have longer visa. But you may open an account and put the fund in it and wait. You may have to exit the country one time and re enter again and get another 30 days visa. At this time you had the money in the bank for more than 2 months.

For the non-o visa application the funds only need to be in the bank on the day of application.

Then it has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day of application for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

2- If you are on pension and your pay is more than 65000 Bhat a month. You can get a letter from your Embassy and can immediately apply for Non O if hopefully they will still do it. That is how I am going to try.

That depends upon the country he is from  Some embassies do non do a proof of income document.

The US, Uk and Australia and a few others do not do them.

You probably should show your fund at the airport and get a receipt that you had this fund with you when you enter the country. You can tell them it is for your visa or condo etc.

That will not work. People have tried bringing in the case, declared it and then saved receipt for the change to baht and immigration has refused it.

27 minutes ago, neytil said:

Has anyone successfully done this in Chonburi recently? Just saw another thread where a guy said he could not do in Sri Racha, so wondering if any possible issues in Chonburi?

No problem to do it in Jomtien where Chonburi immigration is headquartered.

Do immigration accept half and half for retirement extension for income.

my scenario

800k in bank on day 1 for convert to O - no problems.

I can deposit 35,000b every month into account from abroad - and maintain 400k in a savings account for 2-3 months to get the extension.

Is this acceptable?

On 2/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

For a visa exempt entry you will use a TM87 form to apply for non-o visa.

The TM86 is to change of visa status when the entry was done with a tourist visa.

The is the requirments for a non-o visa application for retirment. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

Thank you very much for the requirements link.  Does anyone know the required format on the bank letter?  Is there a standard template and can it be from the day before in Chonburi, or does it have to be the same day?

Thank you for advice.

59 minutes ago, neytil said:

Thank you very much for the requirements link.  Does anyone know the required format on the bank letter?  Is there a standard template and can it be from the day before in Chonburi, or does it have to be the same day?

Thank you for advice.

The bank letter is standard. 

You can obtain one the day before application. 

Update bankbook on day of application. 

bangkokbankletter2016.jpg.cf295c3a8db1a758407027f84f095dea.jpg

19 minutes ago, neytil said:

It is just a short letter confirming you account. An example is here. bank letter.pdf

You also need proof the 800k baht came from abroad unless you have had it in the bank for some time (more than 2 months).

Thank you both for the 2 helpful responses.  Can any branch of a bank, such as Bangkok bank near immigration issue this on the spot, or do you have to visit your home branch?  Does Chonburi Immigration require the withdrawal and deposit from same day of visit as I do not think bank book update would  show the updated current day balance unless a  transaction is made.  I think some do 100 baht in/out transaction at CW, otherwise, the bank letter and book could be slightly off.  Could this be done through online banking before visiting immigration?

Do they want copies of all pages of bank book or a 6 month/12 month statement? Can it be printed from the internet?

Thank you for advice.

6 minutes ago, neytil said:

Do they want copies of all pages of bank book or a 6 month/12 month statement? Can it be printed from the internet?

Very interested in this too. I just got a new bank book so wondering if I just need to copy that one page as it will have the 800k in it (hate to think I'd have to fully copy a closed bank book)

On 2/12/2022 at 9:46 AM, neytil said:

Has anyone successfully done this in Chonburi recently? Just saw another thread where a guy said he could not do in Sri Racha, so wondering if any possible issues in Chonburi?

Sriracha is a branch office of the main Jomtien office, and best avoided if possible. 

I lived close by to that office for a while and after numerous problems, would literally drive past it to go to the Jomtien office.

20 minutes ago, neytil said:

For the non-o visa application they will only want the page showing the 800k is in the bank for a couple of months.

And for the extension since it will be a new extension only the pages showing it has been in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For the non-o visa application they will only want the page showing the 800k is in the bank for a couple of months.

And for the extension since it will be a new extension only the pages showing it has been in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Thank you, that is helpful. Some banks now aggregate bankbook updates if inactive for a few months (such as when out of country).  In such a case of inactivity, would immigration also request some sort of statement in addition to the bank letter?  

Thank you for advice,.

13 minutes ago, neytil said:

Thank you, that is helpful. Some banks now aggregate bankbook updates if inactive for a few months (such as when out of country).  In such a case of inactivity, would immigration also request some sort of statement in addition to the bank letter?  

Thank you for advice,.

Never happened with my bank account. I don't even touch it for the year.

Some folks suggest that you need to make a deposit every month or whatever. I've never had an issue.

The banks sometimes consolidate transactions, however seems this occurs when there is a large number in a given month.

If statements have potential of being required then always good to apply for extension couple of weeks early.

Note: best advice if using money in bank method is to have a dedicated bank account apart from an account for day to day banking. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, neytil said:

They may want a statement if your bank book does not show any updates for 2 months or so. A 6 month bank statement would be more than enough.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about visa exempt to retirement extension is the exchange rate.

I arrived on 14 Jan and planned to do non-imm O two weeks later as I already have a bank account for the 800k baht. Unfortunately, between arrival and 1st business day to transfer baht the A$ tanked, so I got the 30 day extension.

A$ was 23.95 on 14 Jan, today its 22.77 (so about 40,000 baht difference on the A$35k I planned to send)

I now have a 2 week wait to see if it goes back up, however luckily the 60 day covid extension is there which allows me more time to get a better exchange rate 

Edited by aussiexpat

On 2/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

For a visa exempt entry you will use a TM87 form to apply for non-o visa.

The TM86 is to change of visa status when the entry was done with a tourist visa.

The is the requirments for a non-o visa application for retirment. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

On the TM87 form, at the bottom, it states "Reason for application".  Is it acceptable to fill this out with "Retirement" as the reason.