US Passport Renewal - When can you renew?

connda

53 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

I just renewed my passport because I only had a few pages left in my old one. It was 1 year before expiration.

I understand that, but that wasn't the question.  The question is rephrased, 'How soon before the expiration date on a US passport can you apply for a renewal?' 

But thanks for the additional information but I've loads of pages in my passport.  There is nothing in my passport but annual Thai renewal stamps..  :thumbsup:

Some google sez 5 years, some sez 2 years, some sez you should provide a reason.

How soon before expiration are you wanting to renew?

Why do you want to renew extra early?

Here it might take a few weeks, in the U.S. (normal speed) it might take 10 - 20 weeks, better now than last year.

I don't think there is an "early" limit.   The usa.gov website just recommends around 9 months early but that's just a "tip"...not a limit.  See weblink/quote at bottom.

However, the U.S. Embassy - Thailand website states below and all it says is U.S. citizens are encouraged to apply early with no definition what "early" means like in 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, etc.    See weblink/quote at bottom.

IMO since a passport usually needs to have 6 months validity to enter some countries, if a person doesn't want to loss to much time off their current 10 year passport, and include a little padding for mailing/processing time, then renewing around 9 months early might be a good idea.   But if other reasons make around 9 months early not good for a person then go with 10 or more months.   I don't think there is a "early" limit due to various factors which can vary from individual to individual.  If you are willing to pay for a new passport even years before expiration of your current passport then go for it....I'm sure it will be approved.

Partial Quote from usa.gov website...they recommend around 9 months early---but that just a "Tip"; not a limit.

https://www.usa.gov/passport

image.png.bd5c5907fd02040db022594445b7da45.png

Partial Quote from U.S. Embassy - Thailand website

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

U.S. citizens residing or traveling abroad who require a U.S. passport are issued the latest state-of-the-art passports that incorporate photo-digitized images and other enhanced security features. These passports are produced at a domestic U.S. passport facility. U.S. citizens are encouraged to apply early for renewal of expiring passports.