Lasagna in Pattaya

moogradod

That's a bit a more easy one than "Pizza" I hope. In fact you could make a nice Lasagna at home - whereas you cannot make an even acceptable Pizza without a real wood fired Pizza oven (=you need to have a house and build an oven in the garden).

I am looking for the most original Lasagna possible around here - emphasisis on quality not price (=self made noodle sheets, self made minced meat tomato sauce cooked for hours, imported aged parmesan if they use it - and I am even impudent enough to ask that the restaurant has enough car parking space nearby. Location in and even around Pattaya.

Recommendations from anybody who has ever had the real thing would be appreciated very much.

• Like 1

Try Rinapp Ristorante on Soi 13/1 (Yamato). It is at the Beach Road end of the soi.

The owner is Italian and I went a couple of times pre-Covid, one occasion I had lasagne. It is not as traditionally served, more of a reconstructed version. The pasta was silky smooth and light and the sauce was delicious. It tasted home made but I didn't have the foresight to have it confirmed.

A google search confirms they are still open; noon till 11pm; and there are plenty of reviews. I actually reviewed the place in the restaurant review thread on here but the site's search function isn't functioning.

There is plenty of parking space during the day on the soi or on Beach Rd but after dark the patrons of the soi's more famous attractions descend on it.

Bon appetit.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, champers said:

........Try Rinapp Ristorante on Soi 13/1 (Yamato). It is at the Beach Road end of the soi.

Bon appetit........

Merci

I will try it. Have found several reviews on tripadvisor. Not the place to make a marriage proposal to your girlfriend, but looks tasty enough to risk a hearty bite. Unfortunately none of the pictures showed a lasagna, but we will see. Now with the new street layout there might even be a chance to get a parking space nearby.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I'm not the great Lasagna connaisseur, but the one I had lately in Fussilos (Naklua Rd, Soi18) was 'aroi"

"Aroi" is good enough for a start. The pictures on Tripadvisor did not give much hint for a Béchamel Sauce. Have to try although in this area parking lots are rare. But at least I know where it is without having much to think, not far away from my favourite Japanese Ronin.

Edited by moogradod

52 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Now I am hungry for Lasagna,  Thanks a lot !

OK: here is the SOS-Solution: In Foodland Central Road they sell small portions of some sort of "home made" Lasagna at about THB 60.--. But they are not so bad as you might think for a ready made product. Try it before you starve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moogradod said:

"Aroi" is good enough for a start. The pictures on Tripadvisor did not give much hint for a Béchamel Sauce. Have to try although in this area parking lots are rare. But at least I know where it is without having much too think, not far away from my favourite Japanese Ronin.

Parking is not problem there right now. If you can't park right in front you turn left to the other Soi. It's a corner unit. Nice garden.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP should just visit any of the hundreds of Italian restaurants here in Pattaya and make up his own mind...

No need if others have already sorted the wheat from the chaff. I bet the OP ends up with half a dozen good options; plenty enough to be going on with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moogradod said:

That is exactly the problem. There are hundreds. I have been in dozens of them but so far it was not really exiting. If there were only 3 to choose from then I would have to live with that but since there is a wide choice I'd rather ask. Don't you think this is a sensible approach ?

Only if a load of strangers have the same taste as you

Frankies
Marcos
Acquapazza

33 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Sign of the times. Soon we will have war in Ukraine and Taiwan and all the rest. And soon the "Original Lasagna fight" will break loose. Like for Pizza with pineapple and ketchup against what I regard as a real pizza.

Ricotta and spinach. Wait....you're kidding do you ? ???? Did you realize we were talking about Lasagna ? This comes with minced meat and OF COURSE with Béchamel. Of course you did know perfectly. Provocations, provocations ???? Where will this world end ?

Like I said ricotta (plus other cheeses), no bechamel, and sometimes spinach is the standard Italian American style.

Its how my Mother made it.

I think its much better to get the creamy element from ricotta but of course food tastes are subjective.

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Only if a load of strangers have the same taste as you

Frankies
Marcos
Acquapazza

Yes subjective.

I've had it at the first two.

Both OK but wouldn't repeat.

Bechamel or not I also think really great lasagna is very hard to find here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

No Italian style restaurants near me.   Had a craving for Lasagne recently - so bought a frozen 'heat at home' job from Tops Supermarket.  When 'cooked' it was vaguely reminiscent of calf diarrhoea - and its flavour was not far off either!   If you do find a decent venue for a classic lasagna - please let us know where to go to quell my cravings! 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes subjective.

I've had it at the first two.

Both OK but wouldn't repeat.

Bechamel or not I also think really great lasagna is very hard to find here.

It's not the be all and end of all of Italian food. It's kids food. I use Carlucci's recipe. Like Pizza lasagne is border line spoon food- AKA Slob food.

I very rarely order a lasagna as virtually every one I have ever had around here has been a disappointment. The one option that works  and is very sensibly priced, is the frozen lasagna in Siamburys, though I wouldn't follow their microwave heating instructions. Defrost it naturally and heat it in a 160 degrees oven for 20-25 minutes rather than microwaving. Moist, well seasoned, nice cheesy sauce and mozzarella on top.

I had hoped following this thread to find someone raving about a really good one, but I suspect that is not the case due to there not really being a REALLY good one anywhere.

• Thanks 1

Too often here I've had it served burnt on the edges and still cold in the middle - so I just don't try anymore ... too finicky to make at home, I just make do with cooking my own spagetti bolongese - which is good enough (for me).

Yes, in a restaurant you can send cold or under-cooked food back to the kitchen ... but it should never have been served that way - same thing with "steaks" of chicken or pork being served raw in the middle (and even bigger shrimp).

There should be a verb to describe the act of "half doing your job in the expectation that the customer will then clearly tell you what's wrong with it, so you can then tell the cook exactly what to do". End of rant.

Edited by law ling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2022 at 4:12 PM, Jingthing said:

The topic HERE is lasagna.

Then why are YOU confusing people with spinach and ricotta, which both have no business in lasagna? Americans.. mess up every original recipe and then claim that it still is the same... People who want to eat lasagna don't want to eat a spinach cake.

On 2/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, darksidedog said:

I very rarely order a lasagna as virtually every one I have ever had around here has been a disappointment. The one option that works  and is very sensibly priced, is the frozen lasagna in Siamburys, though I wouldn't follow their microwave heating instructions. Defrost it naturally and heat it in a 160 degrees oven for 20-25 minutes rather than microwaving. Moist, well seasoned, nice cheesy sauce and mozzarella on top.

I had hoped following this thread to find someone raving about a really good one, but I suspect that is not the case due to there not really being a REALLY good one anywhere.

If you don't want to do it yourself (I do, takes about 1.5 hours and always ends up deliciously), try the Vespresso restaurant on the dark side. I had their lasagna and it was very good, you won't be disappointed

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Then why are YOU confusing people with spinach and ricotta, which both have no business in lasagna? Americans.. mess up every original recipe and then claim that it still is the same... People who want to eat lasagna don't want to eat a spinach cake.

You sound passionate about pasta. I can respect that.

However, I want to clarify something.

Italian American style lasagna almost always uses ricotta (or tragically cottage cheese) instead of bechamel. There is a long history to that.

The spinach addition is much less common, generally seen as a more fancy version, but there is still the ricotta.

You can certainly get traditional lasagna in the U.S. There are many styles of Italian restaurants there. 

I have never claimed the ricotta version is the same. I have explicitly said it's the standard Italian American style so NOT the same.

I will add that it's very common to use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in Italian American lasagna especially for home cooking. Cottage cheese is cheaper so it's probably even more common than ricotta but I personally hate it in lasagna. 

The U.S. is not the only country that varies recipes. Have you ever had Argentinian pizza? Thai style American fried rice? 

Edited by Jingthing

On 2/28/2022 at 2:37 AM, Swiss1960 said:

If you don't want to do it yourself (I do, takes about 1.5 hours and always ends up deliciously), try the Vespresso restaurant on the dark side. I had their lasagna and it was very good, you won't be disappointed

Will try the Vespresso. Thank you. In the meantime: I just did it myself for the first time in my life and my message is here to the asean members: It's easy ! Try it. Minced meat 70/30 (next time I will be doing 50/50) and self made Béchamel (pasteurized Grass Fed Milk). It was not 100% yet (but very good already and certainly better than many you can buy), but now I know the secrets of doing it and my next try will be using a receipe of a 3 Michelin star cook. This should then definitely yield the full desired result. As always while cooking, a lot depends on the ingredients. I used Barilla pasta sheets and 18 months riped original Parmesan from Italy. Next time the sauce will get more attention using fresh spices.

Lasagna_1_DxO.jpg

Lasagna_2_DxO.jpg

• Like 2