Thailand vacation turns to three days in transit hell courtesy of Thai immigration.

JideeS

"We were told our only options were to spend $8000 for each of us to quarantine a week in a government hotel or go back home. We weren’t about to spend $16000 for what equates to a week in prison."

Stupid question but...... Just to be clear, the amounts you stated are in Thai baht correct? 

My understanding is that the error should have been caught by the airline and you never been allowed to board. Was this also not flagged in your Thai Pass application?

This is the problem with government being dependent on airlines to do the governments job. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JideeS said:

So we have been rebooking this trip at great expense for 3 years and finally decide to go. My mom lives in Bangkok, is 80, has had a stroke, and is in a wheelchair. As of now I don’t know when or if I will ever see her again.
We jumped all the hoops, insurance, pre-booked hotel, pre paid COVID tests on arrival, and took a hospital administered  PCR-COVID test in advance. We were cleared for Thailand Pass and the Phuket sandbox. I have dual citizenship and was attempting to enter on my Thai passport. We left Monday from Washington DC to Phuket via Abu Dabi. We traveled 30 hours get to Phuket and they are checking off paperwork and say that the COVID test lab results from the hospital doesn’t say PCR. They absolutely will not let us enter due to not being able to comprehend that this was a lab report that can’t be altered to say PCR. We asked if we can get someone in the US to verify this, can we enter, and we were told yes. Mind you it’s 1 in the morning in Virginia USA but via email we had the doctor write and acknowledge that this was indeed a PCR test. Even after this hard fought run around they still wouldn’t except it, as it was hand written. We were told our only options were to spend $8000 for each of us to quarantine a week in a government hotel or go back home. We weren’t about to spend $16000 for what equates to a week in prison. So we wait in what I guess was formerly a smoking room turned into human meat storage locker…… for about 14 hours until our return flight. While we were forced into cold storage  they made us pay to be guarded and we were not offered or allowed to get anything to eat or drink other than bathroom water. I can’t even explain the mental and physical trauma we have been through. This was my girlfriends first time air traveling. Three days of being trapped without being able to wash yourself or change clothes is absolutely disgusting. Thank goodness for the bum guns in Abu Dabi airport. Three days of sitting or laying in uncomfortable positions has left me feeling physically broken. I am so completely heartbroken and blind angry that I was in Thailand and so close to mom….only to be turned away.

If the document administrators and officials in other countries in labs, airports, check in in the USA and ME had been as diligent and efficient as the Thai immigration officials this would not have happened. The Thai Immigration were doing their job better than other countries. I get a strong sense of self  pity and angry entitlement  from the OP and wonder if this caused additional friction. If he wants to see his mum it might be easier to fly out to see her by himself rather by bringing the whole circus along. For anybody reading this sad tale: check your documents!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If the document administrators and officials in other countries in labs, airports, check in in the USA and ME had been as diligent and efficient as the Thai immigration officials this would not have happened. The Thai Immigration were doing their job better than other countries. I get a strong sense of self  pity and angry entitlement  from the OP and wonder if this caused additional friction. If he wants to see his mum it might be easier to fly out to see her by himself rather by bringing the whole circus along. For anybody reading this sad tale: check your documents!

from my experience it's the opposite.

Check in personel are very careful in "ticking" all required documents on the computer. Many travellers are refused check in, almost happen to me once and had to argue, just because I got one document on my smartphone, not printed (delayed test result came during my journey to the airport).

Same with transit airport. Passengers refused entry, luggage offloaded, delayed departure - as explained by the captain on one of flights.

In thailand it's just a glance.

My Thailand Pass was with a wrong date (I had one for a month ahead). It was immidiately spotted at check in and transit, but not in thailand. QR code was valid on scanning, so they did not bother with a different month (january, instead of december).

I don't think anybody would be refused entry to thailand, unless forgery.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, internationalism said:

from my experience it's the opposite.

Check in personel are very careful in "ticking" all required documents on the computer. Many travellers are refused check in, almost happen to me once and had to argue.

Same with transit airport. Passengers refused entry, luggage offloaded, delayed departure - as explained by the captain on one of flights.

In thailand it's just a glance. My Thailand Pass was with a wrong date (I had one for a month ahead). It was immidiately spotted at check in and transit, but not in thailand. QR cod was valid on scanning, so they did not bother with a different month (january, instead of december).

I don't think anybody would be refused entry to thailand, unless forgery  

I don't disagree but if the document  was faulty how did it pass all the way to Thailand? Do you think it was a forgery?

• Like 2