Thailand vacation turns to three days in transit hell courtesy of Thai immigration.

JideeS

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one starves in 14 hours.   Don't forget this is the poster who claims he and his partner would have had to pay well over half a million baht for one week of quarantine!

Then something doesn't add up, hence why I deliberately chose not to comment on the rest of the post as I have no ways to attest of its authenticity.

However on the severed access to food and water part, I can chime in as it is essentially in line with my line of work in real life and have experience in that field.

As far as I'm concerned. /thread

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Haha 2

A truly disappointing and stressful situation.

"I have dual citizenship and was attempting to enter on my Thai passport."

"We were told our only options were to spend $8000 for each of us to quarantine a week in a government hotel or go back home."

Is your GF a Thai citizen? If so, then you both would have qualified for free care. Your statement leads one to believe she is not, thus I am confused on how she would qualify for stay at a government facility. Perhaps you meant at a government approved hotel. 

How does a ThaiPass get approved when the applicant provides a test that doesn't meet the requirements? Rhetorical question. How does one board an airplane when the required test doesn't meet the requirements? Again, rhetorical.

It becomes very scary to believe the most competent person in the process is the immigration officer or whomever is checking the documentation at the Phuket airport. And exactly how competent is this person when the only option they provide is a 16,000.00 US dollar option?

Which quarantine hotel did they plan to send you that charges 2,285.00 US per night? I suspect the price also included anywhere from 2 to 14 PCR tests and food.

Again, disappointing and stressful situation.

It's these types of things that make Thailand such great place. Just ask the numerous people within the AseanNow crowd that will stand by this wonderful country up till the moment they take their last breathe. 

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

For the ThaiPass you don't have to show the PCR test. 

Thank you.

I was under the impression it needed uploaded. I suppose I should have done a mock application. I have been seriously stumped over the thought of needing to upload said test that is taken 72 hrs prior to departure but an application process/approval that may take much longer. 

You have freed me from a bit of stress and worry. I will start the GF's application tomorrow and stop procrastinating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

The person has relayed THEIR experience, yet somehow how you see it fit to victim blame, and call it Thai bashing.

Do you KNOW his story is incorrect? Doubt it very much.

We don't know it's true either so on the balance of things we assess the credibility of his report.

• Like 2

Although I am sympathetic to your sitùation, you cant go around blaming others for yout own failings. The requirements clearly say a lab report result via the RT PCR method 72 hours (48 hours with Etihad) before you flight. I cannot understand why you did not ensure that you had this in place. Its a schoolboy error.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The person has relayed THEIR experience, yet somehow how you see it fit to victim blame, and call it Thai bashing.

And he's bloody half thai. So he bashing half of himself.  Feel sorry for his mum. Hope it works out OK with her. I know how you feel my old girl is 80 and has begging of alzhiemers

I cannot express in words the damage this does to Thailand. It will put loads of people off coming to Thailand both those who have friends/family there as well as Farang tourists seeking sunshine and holiday breaks this year. I cannot understand how a tourist country that has been hit so financially hard by the pandemic can be so tough. Moreover in the west we have had 3 jabs of Pfizer etc especially those wanting to come. I hope Thailand can develop new procedures soon. 

Edited by peter48

2 minutes ago, peter48 said:

I cannot express in words the damage this does to Thailand. It will put loads of people off coming to Thailand both those who have friends/family there as well as Farang tourists seeking sunshine and holiday breaks this year. I cannot understand how a tourist country that has been hit so hard by the pandemic can be so hard. Moreover in the west we have had 3 jabs of Pfizer etc especially those wanting to come. I hope Thailand can develop new procedures soon. 

Its not procedures Thailand needs. God knows, there are enough of those already.

What Thailand needs is a change of Mindset.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, peter48 said:

I cannot express in words the damage this does to Thailand. It will put loads of people off coming to Thailand both those who have friends/family there as well as Farang tourists seeking sunshine and holiday breaks this year. I cannot understand how a tourist country that has been hit so financially hard by the pandemic can be so tough. Moreover in the west we have had 3 jabs of Pfizer etc especially those wanting to come. I hope Thailand can develop new procedures soon. 

Whatever procedure they develop there will be rules that have to be followed even for the OP.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Are you sure his story is true? It's kinda he said/they said type of story.

I don't know if conditions have changed for sandbox/test & go, but when I last entered Thailand with full quarantine Thai people were not required to show a PCR test at all.

OP being Thai he should know there's no such thing as government hotels. And $8000/person/week sounds a bit overboard to me.

• Like 2

How simple it would be that, in such cases that Thailand doubts about the correct test being taken, people can get a new PCR test done at the airport and just wait until the result comes in. It would cost max 100USD and a lot less frustration and anger. Under these conditions and with more of these stories people will NOT visit the "Land of Smiles" which they just claimed to be a top place for retirement? I don't understand why everything has to be so troublesome when traveling to Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Are you sure his story is true? It's kinda he said/they said type of story.

I don't know if conditions have changed for sandbox/test & go, but when I last entered Thailand with full quarantine Thai people were not required to show a PCR test at all.

OP being Thai he should know there's no such thing as government hotels. And $8000/person/week sounds a bit overboard to me.

No I have no idea as to the veracity of his story, however, there are flaws in it, but I am not going to accuse him of Thai bashing, or being untruthful,  Just asking if the poster has  proof of his post?

• Like 1