Thailand vacation turns to three days in transit hell courtesy of Thai immigration.

JideeS

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

$16,000 (THB520,000+) for the two of you for one week's quarantine?   

With a claim like that, how much credibility do you think the rest of your "story" has?

Gee, perhaps he inadvertently put a '$' sign instead of baht?

I have no doubt that you are perfect and without sin, but to toss his entire post because of what is likely---to thinking people---a typo, is rather arrogant.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, JideeS said:

When we went through Abu Dabi, Etihad had no problem with the COVID report

As for the hotel it was to be 52000 baht minimum for a hotel but there were none under 85000 baht. Her math was off but still a ridiculous amount….. and that is each

the COVID report says…. test type: NAA

this means “nucleic acid analysis” it’s a DNA test to determine if you are positive for COVID

Not a PRC test then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I have no doubt that you are perfect and without sin, but to toss his entire post because of what is likely---to thinking people---a typo, is rather arrogant.

Not when the crux of his issue is INNACURATE details

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I followed the link - it's not a PRC test

from the cdc website...

"NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

from the cdc website...

"NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

can use many different

CAN..

A modal verb of POSSIBILITY

Not good enough

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

this topic came up last year when I was researching my current trip that started on 1 December.  according to certain respected members a PCR test is not the same as an RT-PCR test. the latter uses something called reverse transcription to convert RNA into DNA. SARS-CoV-2 doesn't contain DNA therefore the only possible PCR test that can be performed is an RT-PCR test. so for 'all intensive purposes' the terms are interchangeable viz Covid.

this was apparently why some labs, eg. at LHR, were advertising their tests as "PCR" instead of "RT-PCR". supposedly the whole world was supposed to know the above explanation and it was all the fault of check-in clerks and ignorant immigration officials that their "PCR" tests weren't being accepted.

OR they could just write "RT-PCR" in both their advertising and on the test results and save everybody a lot of grief.

thankfully I had time on my hands to research all that nonsense before I left and was able to pre-confirm with the Sydney lab I chose to use that their result would clearly state "RT-PCR" (they were too dumb to put a sample test result on their website but their price was significantly lower than the other labs).

the OP has been really poorly treated by the US lab and as noted above I reckon he should sue them for damages if he can prove that he told them the test was required for travel to Thailand.

When I came in October, I had a test that just said "PCR." No one blinked twice when I showed them on departure, transit, nor Thai immigration. Looking back at the past half a dozen+ PCR tests I have taken... some private labs and some government labs, not one had "RT" in it. 

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Because...

Which means it is NOT and never will be an RT-PCR test.

An NAAT can be an RT-PCR test, but it can also be any of a number of other test methods:

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

• Confused 1

Currently booking a trip to the states online with Emirates and this "Important Information" is on the 2nd (passenger info) page:

1.Transiting through Dubai: Transiting passengers are not required to present a COVID 19‑PCR test certificate unless it is mandated by their final destination...

2.COVID requirements for travel to USA: All air passengers above 2 years old, travelling on Emirates flights departing from Dubai, regardless of vaccination status, must show a negative PCR COVID‑19 test result for a test taken no more than 1 day before travel to the United States, or documentation of recovery if infected with COVID‑19 within the last 90 days...

3.COVID requirements for travel from USA: Customers must be at the airport 4 hours before the flight to complete all airport formalities and associated travel requirement checks...

4.COVID requirements for travel to Thailand: Thailand is now open for tourists...

-Nightmare scenario, easily corrected with an on-site test, wait a couple hours, then released (as happened to someone else in this string). 

-I also see the CDC website says "Because laboratory-based NAATs are considered the most sensitive tests for detecting SARS-CoV-2, ..." so it's the best test available, whichever method is used. But not having the magic "PCR" on the paper somewhere, and this being Thailand, can't be overcome (except for the first bullet).

-Strange, during those 14 hours, that the lab was not contacted to create something, on their letterhead, that would say the test method was a RT-PCR test (IF in fact it was). Offer to pay for it if such a bother to them.

-OP messed up on the fine print, although appears to have done everything else correctly (and likely the test was ok), so the outcome seems not proportionate to the mistake.

-At least a red flag for everyone to closely check their lab reports for the mythical RT-PCR or PCR wording.

-Between this, and especially testing positive here (if truly on holiday), a couple reasons to stay away, for now. However, OP had a better reason to travel than many.

7 hours ago, hioctane said:

When I came in October, I had a test that just said "PCR." No one blinked twice when I showed them on departure, transit, nor Thai immigration. Looking back at the past half a dozen+ PCR tests I have taken... some private labs and some government labs, not one had "RT" in it. 

well bully for you!

and in November I read at least one report of a person being rejected by a check-in clerk because of this issue. there were also a bunch of people posting on here in November asking about the difference between the two tests and whether the "PCR" test at Heathrow for example would be acceptable. 

again, why call it something that it's not and create confusion for the hoi polloi?

16 hours ago, SteveAZ said:

I have never seen a Covid-19 test result that doesn’t indicate the type of test it was. It’s invalid if it’s not stated to what method was used. Why would anyone with a Thai passport be stopped by immigration?! Story

No such thing as a PCR lab test result in that leaves off the methodology 

In you opinion?  Evidence ?

20 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

bring it to the mainstream press attention and see how it goes down. The Thai immigration will back down from that stance instantly. Trust me. There is no Thai immigration law that states "aliens who are subject to immigration control must be deprived from nutrition" or something alike.

Get the story to the press including the "we starved for 14 hours" part. This is going to backfire, not even a Thai judge would stand behind that stance.

The immigration officer is abusing his authority.

Exactly what you should do.

Get this in the press back in the USA.

Circulate your experience to anyone thinking of travelling to Thailand.

Sadly, I think yours may not be the only incident like this,

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Silencer said:

-Nightmare scenario, easily corrected with an on-site test, wait a couple hours, then released (as happened to someone else in this string). 

-Between this, and especially testing positive here (if truly on holiday), a couple reasons to stay away, for now. However, OP had a better reason to travel than many.

Sounds like the Hospital 10-day scam swung straight into action,

Must have been a quiet day for the hospital

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Or alternatively the OP could arrive with the correct documentation...

Yeah, but it is likely he had no idea the PCR test letter did not state it was a PCR. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but the test and go is a stressful ordeal. I just went through it. It is not a cakewalk. Who thinks to double check every single detail? Easy to blame, in hindsight. On the contrary, the officials should be bending over backwards, to accommodate incoming visitors. Something like this was likely easy to deal with, if he was dealing with reasonable and competent people, and not overly toxic and xenophobic Prayuth creeps. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Walker88 said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

$16,000 (THB520,000+) for the two of you for one week's quarantine?   

With a claim like that, how much credibility do you think the rest of your "story" has?

Gee, how is so easy to type "$" mistakenly instead of "B"?   Perhaps it wasn't a typo and he just wanted to embellish his already exaggerated story?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Well, he's been back here since the OP and, so far, he hasn't said it was a typo so your accusation that I am "perfect, without sin and arrogant" is rather...arrogant!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:
13 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

CDC website would suggest otherwise...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

I read it also.  It's very satisfying when a misinformed poster, in an attempt to prove his misinformation to be correct, conveniently links to something that completely debunks his own argument.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:
12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

from the cdc website...

That does not make an NAAT a PCR test!   

Did you not read the phrase "can use" (not "does use") or "including but not limited to"?  That lists methods that are options that can be used.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

"but via email we had the doctor write and acknowledge that this was indeed a PCR test"

check

Exactly: because of the ambiguity of the test certificate and the use of the word 'can' on the CDC website a doctor had to clarify it by email and even then did not confirm

(RT) PCR Test.

• Like 1