Pick-up driver "graaps" feet of father: "I didn't mean to kill your daughter" - one dead one injured in cycle smash

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A dramatic picture published by top Thai media Thai Rath highlighted the sheer tragedy that occurs on the Thai roads on a daily basis.

The picture shows 38 year old Nonwat from Sakon Nakhon putting his head to the feet of 82 year old Jan Thothong on the Udon Thani to Sakon Nakhon Road in Nong Nakham sub-district.

Nonwat had just killed the deaf old man's daughter Suphan Thothong, 54, as she rode a bicycle with her grandson Woraphan, 3, on the back. The little boy was rushed to hospital in a grievous state. 

Suphan had a broken neck and was dead at the scene. 

Unbelievably the driver of the Vigo pick-up was on his way to sort out a speeding offence in his hometown after having stayed with his wife in Loei.

As he "graaped" the feet of the old man he said: "It was an accident - I didn't mean to do it".

It had been raining and the roads were slippery, reported Thai Rath.

Muang Udon Thani police took the pick-up driver away and charged him with negligent driving causing death. They were giving him drugs and alcohol tests. 

screenshot_16734.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A relative of the deceased, Nuan, 70, said that Suphan was very poor and hawked sweets and cakes in the village to get money to look after her aged parents and mentally handicapped daughter as well as her grandson that another child had left with her. 

Police said she had just been to the ATM to get money to buy her wares and was on the way home when tragedy struck and grandmother and grandson were hit from behind. 

The media carried further pictures of a pick-up with dents and a mangled bicycle in the undergrowth. 

Another tragic reminder of the perils of Thailand's roads. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 21
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

If they make grass legal things will change but not for the better. More Thai's should learn to drive at driving schools as some are very good. But they need to take what they learn to the roads after they get their license.

Maybe the young ones will learn at driving schools.

However, how many are on the roads even who bought their license? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I always read that peple did not want to kill, but they did.. Maybe if they think first before they do they won't kill. It easy to say it was not my intention.... so why did they do than??

i agree.. in the end, i think barring something extraordinary, no one will say “yes, i meant to kill XYZ” …. but to me, that’s neither here, nor there.

I think the state, as the public prosecutor, has the obligation to prosecute, convict and seek remand (incarceration) for those charged with these types of crimes…   in my eyes, these folks have now DEMONSTRATED their inability or unwillingness to act in a manner that doesn’t place an undue risk to the safety of the public…

therefore i expect the state to seek a punishment that both fairly punished the convicted for their crimes and the injury to their victims, but also seeks to insure the convicted can’t repeat their criminal actions again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Another delinquent at the wheel. 

Bloody reckless lunatic. 

No one ever means to kill on our roads. 

I can appreciate the sentiment of your last statement but, alas, I'm dubious.

Personal observation makes me wonder how different things would be if these people truly were trying to kill.

Would they prove as incompetent at that as well? The truth is probably that they just don't care one way or the other.

Government polls show that over 50% see traffic deaths as Buddha's will.

He didn't mean and that is true, he has been doing this his whole life the way he learn and without any proper education in driving " road is to be share " " adjust your driving to the condition "  in this case raining slow down. Data has shown just a simple sentence in a driver handbook, a simple question on the written test that requires critical thinking instead of memorization could have save the lives!

R.I.P. to the family SAD, but as noted it will continue and continue until the government realize what is needed to reduce these types of accidents.????

• Like 2