Pick-up driver "graaps" feet of father: "I didn't mean to kill your daughter" - one dead one injured in cycle smash

webfact

Such a tragedy.   Safe driving is Such a major problem in Thailand that fixing it will cost so much and will send 75% of the population back to handcarts if done properly. 

Helmets, driving tests, no license no drive, to many tickets no drive, fines that hurt and are related to individual wealth and ability to pay, no riders in truck beds, all riders need seat belts and under 5 need child car seats and then booster seats until a certain height.  Max 2 on a scooter with helmets.   Yearly Inspections for proper lighting, good tires, brakes, etc.  Slow vehicles not allowed on hyways.  Farm vehicles can only be driven short distances in daylight hours with proper lights and signage.  Personal injury lawsuits work wonders too.  Double fines and penalties for all government employees.  Currently they feel they can get out of any ticket.  

In reality, it's just one more road death to the authorities. If they cared at all, changes would have been made already, but it's been decades of record breaking deaths and it's all business as usual, tomorrow is another day. I'm incredibly thankful not to be born into this mess and have to deal with these tragedies on a personal level. It's a blessing to be able to shake my head in wonder of amazing Thailand while in 'civilized' Florida, I'm really not looking forward to the day when Thailand reopens and I no longer have an excuse not to be there.????

On 11/23/2021 at 11:34 AM, cocoonclub said:
11 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I always read that peple did not want to kill, but they did.. Maybe if they think first before they do they won't kill. It easy to say it was not my intention.... so why did they do than??

I had an accident few years ago with 3 stupid teenagers on a <deleted>ty scooter going wrong way, at night, without headlight. I didn't kill them but they were sent to hospital. Mostly, head injuries (no helmets). I'm glad they were ok after few days but if I had killed them that day, it would have been an accident, it would not have been my intention and would result from their stupidity only.

Btw, Police and family of the kids asked me to pay for hospital treatments and the destroyed scooter. I told them they were in the wrong, called my insurance (first class) and I didn't spend <deleted>.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Thailand will neuer change. Thailand was, is and will always be the top road death for these reasons:

1. The traffic laws are not strictly enforced.

2. People can easy bribe to go away.

3. The government does not revoke or suspend Drilling licenses.

4. The tickets are a joke.

5. If they would copy The German or Swiss style, the fatality rate would drop.

6. Strictly enforce the speed Limits, safety belt, helmet regulations, and Start to suspend licenses.

Since the Thai government is unable/unwillig to do the above, nothing will change forever.

The only country I have been to where the police don't patrol the roads. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Inala said:

Tragic, this really made me emotional. This poor lady was looking after her elderly mum & dad, a mentally handicapped daughter and her grandson, who is now lying in hospital in a grievous condition. So many lives torn apart by this one incident, but what makes it worse is that this is an already poor family. Who will take care of mum & dad? Who will take care of the disabled daughter? Who will look after the little boy in hospital? Everyone here is vulnerable. I just hope that help is available on the ground for these guys. 

I agree. THIS is the sort of thing I would donate to crowd-funding, not Tom from Harlow who fell off his uninsured hire bike and broke his back without taking out any travel/medical insurance...

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 9:52 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Another delinquent at the wheel. 

Bloody reckless lunatic. 

No one ever means to kill on our roads. 

At least he is remorseful.

Better than the usual "Can't you hear my horn?" when they hit a pedestrian on a crossing, or "you walk without watching out for vehicles" after a motorbike hits a person on the footpath, or "it's his fault he died because he didn't give me his iPhone".

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Maybe the young ones will learn at driving schools.

However, how many are on the roads even who bought their license? 

Driving schools will not teach common sense. Anyone with an average IQ driving a vehicle on a side road approaching a main road for the first time, would know that they have to stop and make sure the road is clear before they pull out.

Thailand does not have a below average IQ for nothing. That and being near the top of the world ranking for road fatalities tells you everything.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:24 AM, webfact said:

It had been raining and the roads were slippery,

Drive/Ride to the conditions, then! ????

Where it's safe to drive at 80kmh on a dry road with no traffic (or bicycles) in daylight, it's NOT safe to drive at anywhere near that speed on wet roads, in snow or ice, or in low visibility or with traffic.

If only they had and had to pass proper driving tests, and had proper repercussions, these accidents would be far fewer.

" It had been raining and the roads were slippery, reported Thai Rath."

Thais cannot drive in the rain, they only know one speed and never drive to suit road or weather conditions. 

Pick-ups are goods vehicles they are not designed for speed.They are very light on the rear end and difficult to control on wet roads.  

• Like 1

People   'do not'    need reminding of the perils on Thailands roads..

But the Authorities  DO need reminding   that people are being killed daily, by senseless  so called drivers  and something should be done about it...... quick..      .Hire  outside help,  because  Thailand doesnt know how...

22 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

his comment :didn't mean to do it """ what pathetic reason =  IQ  1/10 

It's sad and ironic that Road Warrior's critique of the driver's IQ describes it as "1/10".   First time I've heard of anyone referring to something as well known as an IQ rating being a score out of ten.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Piece of detritus is more sad for his coming few years than the life of the innocent person he just killed. 

20 years prison, half of any property he owns and agreement to pay half his wages to the family to take care of the children 

It was reported somewhere that the cyclist carried no blame for this?   I didn't see it.   

15 hours ago, eastlight said:
21 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Thailand will neuer change. Thailand was, is and will always be the top road death for these reasons:

1. The traffic laws are not strictly enforced.

2. People can easy bribe to go away.

3. The government does not revoke or suspend Drilling licenses.

4. The tickets are a joke.

5. If they would copy The German or

Expand  

The only country I have been to where the police don't patrol the roads. 

That's because the police stations are not provided with sufficient budget by the government to buy enough basic equipment such as patrol cars or bikes.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I don't see how anyone can teach common sense, some people have a lot of it, some have some of it, and some have very little or none.

Seems to me in your opinion there can't be any improvement in the world.

I see it more optimistic. The more we are connected to each other by Media or traveling I don't give up hope for a change.

However, we have to keep in mind that not even half of the world follow democratic govts, what makes it more difficult to follow essential objektives than filling dictator's pockets.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 1:40 PM, mr_lob said:

Nothing will happen. We had our driver and 2 customers killed by a speeding truck driver 5 years ago. Clear to see his wreckless driving on the dashcam before he lost control and smashed over the central reservation. 2 year suspended sentence and a 5000 baht fine for killing 3 people!!

Oh, and he was driving his truck again 3 days later.

there is no deterrent..it will never stop..