Which Step Thru Scooter For 6 Foot Tall Farang

beginner

SH150i was avalable around 2016-17 and do come up for sale from time to time

The PCX160 and ADV150 is sold in Europe and North America so it should be more international sized 

If you want big front wheel like the SH, Piaggio Medley 150 has 16" front wheel, I saw at as recently as 2020, maybe still available

I’m 6ft - Rented the Honda ADV150cc when Sandboxing - a great little bike. 

The ADV 350 is coming in March...   I’m going to sell my BMW G310GS and get an ADV 350 on the back of what a good little machine the ADV150 is. 

Size wise - the ADV150 was absolutely fine, no handle-bars hitting my knees etc.

Power wise, I felt it needed just a little more. 

Edited by richard_smith237

I have an SH-150. They were made in Vietnam but did not sell well here because the seat was too high for the average Thai. One of the best selling scooters in Italy. When I get rid of mine and buy a new scooter, I really don't know what to go for. I want something as high as the SH-150 but there doesn't seem to be anything available on the Thai market. 

I just noted that the seat height of the ADV150 is quite close to the SH150. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

I have driven many bikes trying to find the proper bike for me.

Being 6 foot is not really enough information.

What is your experience level.

What are you looking for in comfort (suspension)?

This is my experience in 2021:

• Honda PCX (Nice bike, but lacks quickness)
  • Yamaha Aero (horrible bike, don't bother)
  • Yamaha NMax (Nice bike, but lacks suspension)
  • Honda ADV (Very good bike with combination of suspension, quickness and speed)
  • Honda Forza (The best by far at double the cost)

13 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I have an SH-150. They were made in Vietnam but did not sell well here because the seat was too high for the average Thai. One of the best selling scooters in Italy. When I get rid of mine and buy a new scooter, I really don't know what to go for. I want something as high as the SH-150 but there doesn't seem to be anything available on the Thai market. 

Best scooter Honda ever made. Until they market a new one in Thailand, I'll keep mine and rebuild it when necessary. I went over it at 48,000k with new belt, rollers, clutch, brakes, radiator flush, valve check, spark plug, injector, oil, air filter, battery & Michelin City Pros.

52,000k on the clock and it runs beautiful. So smooth.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you can afford it, I think the new Forza 350 is the best bike for the money, in Thailand right now.

Otherwise, the Honda ADV150 is very nice. Both are a huge step up from the Click, which feels like an unstable toy by comparison. 

Interesting but you haven't answered the question about stepthroughs

• Like 2

Agree with other posters about the Adv 150 - good for taller riders.  May be an Adv 160 soon, so may be good deals on the 150.

Avoid the Aerox - your knees will hit the fairing.

The Wave and Supercub semi-autos are also good for taller riders, and they are indestructable.

Thank you to all the people who have taken the time and trouble to reply to me.

I have learned a lot and will definitely explore the 2nd hand market as suggested by VocalNeil.  

My preference for a flat platform step through is because of my old  age which means I can't get my leg over the underbone on those really desirable ADV and PCX  type models.   Also as I live in Pattaya where traffic can be heavy and convenient parking difficult to find; something light and easy to maneuver will be most practical.   

Scubascuba3 mentioned the Honda Lead which is sold elsewhere in SE Asia.     I saw one in Honda Big bike showroom on Sukhumvit Road. 

It did appear to have a bigger foot platform but the bike itself was small with 12'' and 10'' wheels.

I look forward to a Click 160 but I doubt if it will be a bigger chassis but just a bigger engine.   Yamaha Filano (Air cooled but ABS optional) seems a bit more spacious but as whatever I buy will eventually end up in the village being used by the family, Hondas are loved and Yamahas not so much.  Every Isaan mechanic can fix a Wave or PCX but not a Piaggio or Scomadi (Built locally).  

Yamaha  Force is sold in Indonesia which is the 155cc Nmax re-configured as a step through (I think...not sure). That would be do the job.   A PCX version would be even better.  

5 hours ago, beginner said:

Thank you to all the people who have taken the time and trouble to reply to me.

I have learned a lot and will definitely explore the 2nd hand market as suggested by VocalNeil.  

My preference for a flat platform step through is because of my old  age which means I can't get my leg over the underbone on those really desirable ADV and PCX  type models.   Also as I live in Pattaya where traffic can be heavy and convenient parking difficult to find; something light and easy to maneuver will be most practical.   

Scubascuba3 mentioned the Honda Lead which is sold elsewhere in SE Asia.     I saw one in Honda Big bike showroom on Sukhumvit Road. 

It did appear to have a bigger foot platform but the bike itself was small with 12'' and 10'' wheels.

I look forward to a Click 160 but I doubt if it will be a bigger chassis but just a bigger engine.   Yamaha Filano (Air cooled but ABS optional) seems a bit more spacious but as whatever I buy will eventually end up in the village being used by the family, Hondas are loved and Yamahas not so much.  Every Isaan mechanic can fix a Wave or PCX but not a Piaggio or Scomadi (Built locally).  

Yamaha  Force is sold in Indonesia which is the 155cc Nmax re-configured as a step through (I think...not sure). That would be do the job.   A PCX version would be even better.  

Let us know what you end up getting, also check Grand Filano

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let us know what you end up getting, also check Grand Filano

Wife has a grand Filano, i occasionaly borrow it and although it seems a little bit more relaxed in the engine dept it is certainly comfortable, for reference i am 190 cm, 6'3" and of generous porportions.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn’t have to have a ‘flat floor’ to be a step through...    we could get into discussion regarding ‘step through’ purity and the semantics of the words ‘step-though’... But that would be daft...   We all know what the Op means, he means a ‘scooter’... but then some ‘Friendly Farang’ would come along telling us all they are not scooters !!! 

Correct, I guess with step-through he meant underbone bikes which technically all scooters are

9 hours ago, moose7117 said:

Wife has a grand Filano, i occasionaly borrow it and although it seems a little bit more relaxed in the engine dept it is certainly comfortable, for reference i am 190 cm, 6'3" and of generous porportions.

Snap - a mirror image of our Filano and I  ????

Agree a great reliable bike with a nice big comfy seat + can get serviced anywhere