Which Step Thru Scooter For 6 Foot Tall Farang

beginner

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

some people are really slow, step through generally means flat base\platform otherwise you might as well just refer to scooters and not mention step through

Not sure why you are so concerned about semantics, but you seem a bit confused.  The term 'step through' originally referred to small motorcycles without a fuel tank between your legs.  Moving the fuel to below the seat allowed the rider to step though the space where the tank normally goes, making the bikes more convenient for women and delivery riders who don't want to swing a leg over the seat every time they get on the bike.

The Honda Supercub was one early example of this design.  All scooters are also step through by design, but the 'flat floor' scooters are a special sub-type of the genre.

The Click, Fino etc are examples of flat floor scooters.

I'm not keen on flat floor scooters myself, as the bump in the middle of other scooters such as the PCX or Vespas helps with structural rigidity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2022 at 6:24 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Male or female?

Goodness, all these years I have been riding and I never knew there were 'male and female' bikes. It's true, you do learn something new every day.

4 minutes ago, papa al said:

If you're not part of the solution, then you are the problem ????"

///////

What is the problem?

The beauty of that ... it can be applied to any problem ????

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Wagga said:

Goodness, all these years I have been riding and I never knew there were 'male and female' bikes. It's true, you do learn something new every day.

Depends if OP where's a dress.

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:51 AM, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn’t have to have a ‘flat floor’ to be a step through...    we could get into discussion regarding ‘step through’ purity and the semantics of the words ‘step-though’... But that would be daft...   We all know what the Op means, he means a ‘scooter’... but then some ‘Friendly Farang’ would come along telling us all they are not scooters !!! 

Yes , every now and then they get called Mopeds for gosh sakes.  This is a Moped and I hasten to add not mine.

IMGP0003 (2).JPG

14 minutes ago, papa al said:

mo-ped

mo-tor

ped-al

Not seeing it,

pedal.

My UK generation called bikes like Waves mo-peds many called them non-peds. 

When bikes looking similar to that first came out they had pedals.

Scooters are scooters Thais call em motorsy.

Yamaha FS1 E changed the image of mopeds in the UK in the 70's. In those days a bike under 50cc, with pedals (moped) could be used legally at 16 years old, but all the mopeds looked uncool.

Then this came along ...

1976 YAMAHA FS1-E DX

UK law has changed, and a moped doesn't need pedals now - just under 50cc and restricted power output IIRC.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wagga said:

Actually I was trying to ascertain the sex of the OP not the bike. But bikes, push bikes and bicycles have different designs for men and women. One has a cross bar the other doesn't.

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Actually I was trying to ascertain the sex of the OP not the bike. But bikes, push bikes and bicycles have different designs for men and women. One has a cross bar the other doesn't.

All good. I know what you were trying to 'ascertain', I was being facetious.  And the post was not about 'pushbikes'. It was about 'motorized' bikes.

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends if OP where's a dress.

Personally I prefer not to identify, but an interesting topic none the less as once things open up I'm looking forward to getting back into my ball gown on a weekend.

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2022 at 9:35 AM, Wagga said:

All good. I know what you were trying to 'ascertain', I was being facetious.  And the post was not about 'pushbikes'. It was about 'motorized' bikes.

The question remains: is the OP male or female? It's a valid question. Thank you for explaining you were being facetious.  But why?

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The question remains: is the OP male or female? It's a valid question. Thank you for explaining you were being facetious.  But why?

Yes, correct, valid question sure enough. As to 'why'?.....Nature of the beast!.    ????

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I just noted you haven't given your location yet you need to know the gender of others. 

1 hour ago, Wagga said:

As to 'why'?.....Nature of the beast!.    ????

???? At 6 feet I'd guess male but...

Edited by VocalNeal

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 12:56 AM, beginner said:

Thank you to all the people who have taken the time and trouble to reply to me.

I have learned a lot and will definitely explore the 2nd hand market as suggested by VocalNeil.  

My preference for a flat platform step through is because of my old  age which means I can't get my leg over the underbone on those really desirable ADV and PCX  type models.   Also as I live in Pattaya where traffic can be heavy and convenient parking difficult to find; something light and easy to maneuver will be most practical.   

Scubascuba3 mentioned the Honda Lead which is sold elsewhere in SE Asia.     I saw one in Honda Big bike showroom on Sukhumvit Road. 

It did appear to have a bigger foot platform but the bike itself was small with 12'' and 10'' wheels.

I look forward to a Click 160 but I doubt if it will be a bigger chassis but just a bigger engine.   Yamaha Filano (Air cooled but ABS optional) seems a bit more spacious but as whatever I buy will eventually end up in the village being used by the family, Hondas are loved and Yamahas not so much.  Every Isaan mechanic can fix a Wave or PCX but not a Piaggio or Scomadi (Built locally).  

Yamaha  Force is sold in Indonesia which is the 155cc Nmax re-configured as a step through (I think...not sure). That would be do the job.   A PCX version would be even better.  

Do not buy secondhand in Thailand. Nothing gets serviced! ("It new car!!!").

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

Do not buy secondhand in Thailand. Nothing gets serviced! ("It new car!!!").

Both my bikes, sat in the shed, were purchased second hand. One from a Dutch guy and one from a local pawn shop ( well OK a motorbike dealer next to a pawn shop!). Both are fine.

Tip????

Larger bike's factory dealership/workshop has a database. No need for stamps in the service book. 

Who knows maybe  Johnny Honda has the same I have never asked.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

I am an old creaky male rider.

The Click 160 has been launched but Mityon on Pattaya Tai say they will have no stock for one month.

I have looked at many Click 160 ABS videos made in Philippines and Indonesia but there are subtle differences in spec to suit the local markets.

It is now not long to wait now before I can actually sit on one and see whether the new frame gives a more relaxed and spacious riding position.

The new PCX 160 is also very attractive and gets acclaimed in road tests all over the world, but I am unable to lift my legs over the fuel tank area. If I was more nimble and stronger, a  PCX 160 ABS would be my choice.