I just bought $200,000 of Bitcoin

20 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Pretty good for those who bought at 5k or less.

And did you buy it at 5k or when you were advocating it so strongly advocating it  February when it was at about 38,000. 

Cronus the marijuana company is still good if you bought at its opening price of $1.69 since it is now $3.52.  Those that bought it thinking its meteoric rise would never stop at $29.15 are a little under water.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

It depends how u trade. 1 day, 1 year, 5 years

Based on the evasive answer would suggest you didn't buy at $5,000.  The fed is taking an aggressive posture to wring the speculation out of bitcoin.  

One thing I learned many years ago is you don't fight the tape, nor the fed. 

10 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Based on the evasive answer would suggest you didn't buy at $5,000.  The fed is taking an aggressive posture to wring the speculation out of bitcoin.  

One thing I learned many years ago is you don't fight the tape, nor the fed. 

I bought at 5k, 23k. Did some trades at other prices.

More interested in shares.

Big chances to buy good shares soon.

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

And did you buy it at 5k or when you were advocating it so strongly advocating it  February when it was at about 38,000. 

Cronus the marijuana company is still good if you bought at its opening price of $1.69 since it is now $3.52.  Those that bought it thinking its meteoric rise would never stop at $29.15 are a little under water.  

I like shares that pay divs. Hold a share for 10 years at a high yield you get a free carry.

Bhp $14 in 2016. 250k worth 800k, 86k pa div.

180,000 baht a month.

Buy quality in a bad year, hold forever.

You get growth and divs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:
2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Expand  

I like shares that pay divs. Hold a share for 10 years at a high yield you get a free carry

Now that is a philosophy that I can agree with.  It is like a taxi.  When the taxi is stuck in traffic the meter keeps running.  When the taxi is at highway speeds the meter spins faster. With dividends its like the meter that even stuck in traffic keeps turning and when the market goes up the meter spins faster. 

Be cautious.  There is an old adage about catching a falling knife.  I like companies that generate profits and have a cash flow to pay dividends. 
image.png.c9a723e5fe6bd769684c1b9dd8b4ca83.png
Now you can speculate on companies like Amazon, or Tesla that at one time did not make a profit and now are very valuable concerns.  However I view those differently than crypto currencies which generate nothing.  Crypto is a commodity.  Some commodities have utilitarian value such as oil, wheat, soybeans.  Crypto is pure speculation.  Its value is based soley on its "perceived" value.  It doesn't make anything, it does not generate a profit, and the only way someone investing in crypto makes money is if another person is willing to pay more.  

That is a investment philosophy I just don't care for.  I know Bill Gates is not a fan either.  
image.png.6f540f08a119387e3abe7405b9b98956.png

11 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Now that is a philosophy that I can agree with.  It is like a taxi.  When the taxi is stuck in traffic the meter keeps running.  When the taxi is at highway speeds the meter spins faster. With dividends its like the meter that even stuck in traffic keeps turning and when the market goes up the meter spins faster. 

Be cautious.  There is an old adage about catching a falling knife.  I like companies that generate profits and have a cash flow to pay dividends. 
image.png.c9a723e5fe6bd769684c1b9dd8b4ca83.png
Now you can speculate on companies like Amazon, or Tesla that at one time did not make a profit and now are very valuable concerns.  However I view those differently than crypto currencies which generate nothing.  Crypto is a commodity.  Some commodities have utilitarian value such as oil, wheat, soybeans.  Crypto is pure speculation.  Its value is based soley on its "perceived" value.  It doesn't make anything, it does not generate a profit, and the only way someone investing in crypto makes money is if another person is willing to pay more.  

That is a investment philosophy I just don't care for.  I know Bill Gates is not a fan either.  

Yes income while wheels stopped.

Add up cba dividends since 1998.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I'm not Bill Gates but could say the same about NFTs (and all pieces of art too)

However crypto is a good technology and I fully support it.

This thread is almost certainly a wind up but I'll bite.  Instead of putting all your eggs in one basket why not buy some tech stocks as well?  They are more or less correlated anyways.

GOOG, AAPL, and AMZN are down something like 30% right now and they actually do real stuff that makes real money.  It's a much surer bet than bitcoin, which has no intrinsic value.

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

This thread is almost certainly a wind up but I'll bite.  Instead of putting all your eggs in one basket why not buy some tech stocks as well?  They are more or less correlated anyways.

GOOG, AAPL, and AMZN are down something like 30% right now and they actually do real stuff that makes real money.  It's a much surer bet than bitcoin, which has no intrinsic value.

Sure we can, but why choose the same overinflated bubbles as the cryptocurrencies? I'd better buy shares of some real companies rather than these three.

49 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Good luck out there. ????

Screenshot_2022-06-17-07-12-48-43_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

I bought my first 10 BTC back in 2015 for 1200 baht ea.

Looking forward to buying some more BTC when the price comes down.

IMG_20220617_080316.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, fdsa said:

Sure we can, but why choose the same overinflated bubbles as the cryptocurrencies? I'd better buy shares of some real companies rather than these three.

I agree and that is what I am doing.  There are starting to be some bargains out there for good value stocks.  I think there is more pain ahead though, so I am only dipping my toes in right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I bought my first 10 BTC back in 2015 for 1200 baht ea.

Looking forward to buying some more BTC when the price comes down.

IMG_20220617_080316.jpg

Oops, typo. 

Should read 12000 baht each. 

Total 120,000 baht for 10 BTC 

14 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You are correct "collectibles" fall right in with Crypto in terms of relying on the next greater fool to purchase them.  At least they have utilititarian value in that the owner can look at them while they own them versus Crypto that exists only in someones minds.  

Perhaps I am wrong but history shows when people invest strictly because something is "going up" and the underlying investment does not generate a profit, eventually when the last fool is in, the bottom drops out. 

Well I'm sure the last fool haven't invested yet, so another peak or so before government backed coins being rolled out, we might see early crypto start to fall and crashing one by one.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:00 AM, Yellowtail said:

Anyone that bought Bitcoin in 2020 is still up over 100%.

You mean 2019? ???? BTC is now at 18,160 USD, so if you bought in December of 2020 then you would be in the red.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:00 AM, Yellowtail said:

In any event, what in you portfolio has done well in the last six months? 

My portfolio definitely down YTD, but I invest in productive assets, so I mainly care about how profitable the companies I invest in are (expected to be) relative to their price, and YTD I have received around $60,000 in dividends, because even though some of the companies are down 20% YTD, they are still profitable and paying dividends to the stockholders.

That is the big difference between crypto (non-productive assets) and stocks (productive assets). And yes, commodities are also non-productive assets and many are up YTD, but those assets have end users, e.g. you don’t but oil, wheat, or soy beans to just hold it for all of eternity.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The moment mining is not profitable,  Bitcoin will have zero value.

When people stop mining it, it becomes more exclusive. There are no new ones available as they haven't been mined? The price multiplies. ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lkn said:

You mean 2019? ???? BTC is now at 18,160 USD, so if you bought in December of 2020 then you would be in the red.

Anyone that bought Amazon in December of 2020 would be in the red as well.

To be clear, I am not advocating anyone buy or hold crypto, and I think anyone left holding should get out.

• 4 months later...

Is anyone here watching the crypto space these days? It started with Luna, continued with Celsius, yesterday FTX went bust but was supposedly being rescued by binance (but now it looks like they don't wanna touch it) and finally a huge Solana unstaking is supposed to happen in about 12 hours.

It's truly the end of days.

What happened to that guy holding polkadot and crypto.com credit card.

He was supposedly staking too.

Also, wasn't a bunch of TEFLERS putting money into crypto with their every paycheck? No wonder Thai kids got no chance getting ahead with English ????

That clown Michael Saylor is next

Edited by Celsius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Celsius said:

That clown Michael Saylor is next

I'm sure he will be buying all the way down, plenty of money where that came from.

Fortune favours the patient.

We've been here before and will be here again, I bought my first Bitcoin when it was about $12 - been quite a rough ride since then and 'it's died' many times ....????

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I'm sure he will be buying all the way down, plenty of money where that came from.

Fortune favours the patient.

We've been here before and will be here again, I bought my first Bitcoin when it was about $12 - been quite a rough ride since then and 'it's died' many times ....????

He was advising people to mortgage their house at 60k and buy Bitcoin.

It's irrelevant at what price someone bought something. The bad actors are being flushed out and he will be one of them.

Oopps while I was typing this Bitcoin went down another thousand bucks. That margin call will be knocking....

Edited by Celsius