Sleep medicine

PAV123

On 2/22/2022 at 7:08 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

I'm glad Clonazepam is working out for another poster but, again, can stop being effective and produce cognitive decline long-term. Tinnitus loud enough to keep you awake sounds terrible!

Benzos are only to be used as a last resort. 

I'd rather not sleep than not remember anything I did, in later years.

Problem is finding something that doesn't leave you groggy in the morning. That's the problem w/ many of the meds suggested here, like Codiphen, Tramadol, Atarax, and Amitriptyline. Ami's not bad if a small quantity is taken an hour or so before. But then you may soon need a larger quantity. You know how it goes.

A couple of more natural solutions. 250mg tablet of magnesium + melatonin, or L-theanine (or glycine). Or 2g of glycine ++. Or, if you have muscle soreness other condition, Ultracet (has trazadone) ++. Works pretty well. And then--Sheryl's practice of popping 10mg quick-dissolving melatonin (under tongue variety?) if you wake up at night is also a good suggestion--thanks for mentioning that, @Sheryl. Seems to work.

Melatonin alone seemed never to do anything for me, but in combo it does.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Problem is finding something that doesn't leave you groggy in the morning. That's the problem w/ many of the meds suggested here, like Codiphen, Tramadol, Atarax, and Amitriptyline. Ami's not bad if a small quantity is taken an hour or so before. But then you may soon need a larger quantity. You know how it goes.

A couple of more .

If having unusual trouble I someitmes combned melatonin with L-tryptophan.natural solutions. 250mg tablet of magnesium + melatonin, or L-theanine (or glycine). Or 2g of glycine ++. Or, if you have muscle soreness other condition, Ultracet (has trazadone) ++. Works pretty well. And then--Sheryl's practice of popping 10mg quick-dissolving melatonin (under tongue variety?) if you wake up at night is also a good suggestion--thanks for mentioning that, @Sheryl. Seems to work.

Melatonin alone seemed never to do anything for me, but in combo it does.

I take 10mg regular variety Melatonon  before sleep. 5 mg sublingual type if I'm troubled by waking up middle of the night.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I take 10mg regular variety Melatonon  before sleep. 5 mg sublingual type if I'm troubled by waking up middle of the night.

Thanks for clarifying. I did a quick search for your original post but didn't see it.

The strategy I use is to locate and correct the cause of the insomnia rather than treating the symptoms with tablets.  Because the cause is still there.

In the past I have had trouble sleeping due to life stresses.  Such as before long haul traveling, final exams, court dates, job deadlines, relationship discourse, children goofing off, home purchase closing and anything that burdens the mind.

By locating the cause of inner turmoil you can minimize or eliminate it so sleep can return. The ability to control your mental state is important.  Don't let problems and life stresses agitate you too much.   Take the weight of the world off your shoulders and proceed with life.  Have some hobbies you enjoy to forget about life hassles.  Exercise is very helpful too.

I have been on urotherapy for years and sleep is fantastic.  Author's report substance S is contained in urine which greatly assists  sleep.  8 hours of deep, refreshing sleep waking up fresh and rejunevinated.  A game changer.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:00 PM, BigStar said:

Problem is finding something that doesn't leave you groggy in the morning.

Maybe that depends on the severity of your insomnia and your life. If you have to work for a living, it's better to feel groggy in the morning, take some strong coffee, than not get any sleep and do a bad day's work. 

I've tried many things, now melatonin works. In the past, Trazadone did, but not more than once a week. 

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you have to work for a living, it's better to feel groggy in the morning, take some strong coffee, than not get any sleep and do a bad day's work. 

The point is that it's better to get sufficient sleep, working or not, w/o waking up feeling groggy if possible.

• Like 1