Thai wife has cancer & wants to get home to family. Thai passport expired, can't get covid insurance to use US passport. Help?

Is there a way my Thai wife with US passport to get into Thailand to be with family & friends after being diagnose with cancer?

Problem 1: Her Thai passport is expired (covid prevented us returning to get it renewed)

Problem 2: She was diagnosed with cancer recently and probably can't get covid insurance to use her US passport with Test-n-go.

Problem 3: With cancer it's too risky to fly to LA and renew her Thai passport.

Any help?

The Thai embassies' phone systems are broken in the US -  full voicemail box and 'bad number' tone for "Thais in distress line" when clicking on that option.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I dont see the problem with flying cancer is not contagious 

Agreed. She does have a current Thai ID card that doesn't expire for another year.

I just worry about a Thailand Pass agent or customs official at Suvarnabhumi.  

Edited by ding

10 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Simple question, have you tried the Thai consulate in your area? i'm sure they will help in such situation... if all fail just come to Thailand and deal with the situation when you arrive, your wife health is more important than any bureaucracy...

Seems 100% reasonable BUT! The nearest US one is in LA and we're in Seattle, 1,200 Miles away.

There's no way to even leave a message (full inbox), let alone get a person to help her.

There's one in Canada but the border crossing requires a rapid antigen test from a hospital - but that may be possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

My question is would they let her board with an expired passport? 

She has a US passport with 9 years left. I think the Thai Emergency Passport is the way to go and she would use that. It's free but expires in 30 days and takes 7-10 days to process.

Also, it's not expensive to try to get her Test&Go covid insurance and see if they reject her for cancer. They wouldn't have to pay anything on the cancer, so who knows... They don't say online, just require disclosure.

Edited by ding

5 minutes ago, ding said:

So it's not all online according to the man at the LA Embassy just now.

I know it has to be done by mail. I read the page on the embassy website I posted a link to.

It is a official Thai consulate in LA the only embassy is in Washington DC.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ding said:

Problem 2: She was diagnosed with cancer recently and probably can't get covid insurance to use her US passport with Test-n-go.

"Probably"?

I haven't stepped through the Insurance purchase, does it ask about existing or pre-conditions? Do some mean insurance cannot be purchased?

Assume she is healthy enough for travel, I would just use the U.S. passport, and Thaipass/Test&Go.

Her U.S. passport hopefully has not also expired.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ding said:

She has a US passport with 9 years left. I think the Thai Emergency Passport is the way to go and she would use that. It's free but expires in 30 days and takes 7-10 days to process.

Also, it's not expensive to try to get her Test&Go covid insurance and see if they reject her for cancer. They wouldn't have to pay anything on the cancer, so who knows... They don't say online, just require disclosure.

If it's any help my wife has covid insurance no problem

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If it's any help my wife has covid insurance no problem

So your wife got covid insurance with cancer? Which company? AXA requires disclosure but doesn't say if it disqualifies her.

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

"Probably"?

I haven't stepped through the Insurance purchase, does it ask about existing or pre-conditions? Do some mean insurance cannot be purchased?

Assume she is healthy enough for travel, I would just use the U.S. passport, and Thaipass/Test&Go.

Her U.S. passport hopefully has not also expired.

She has 9 years on her US passport.

AXA insurance requires disclosure of cancer but doesn't say if that disqualifies her. I haven't completed that, want to wait for experienced people here to advise us first.

Edited by ding

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I suggest you read my posts.

Entering on her US passport will only create more problems than it is worth. She would get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then to stay longer she would have to apply for a one year extension as a returning Thai national. When Thai's enter with foreign passport they have to meet all the immigration requirements.

I think his problem is resolved since she can get a emergency travel document by mail that will allow her to enter as a Thai.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

LA Consulate said she needed to get a Certificate of Identity that would allow her to enter Thailand.

I hadn't heard of the "certificate of identity". She has a valid Thai ID card if that's what they said in 2020 to you.

My wife finally talked to the LA Consulate and he only said she needed an Emergency Passport. Nothing about a "Certificate of Identity" or Thai ID card.

She needs the Thailand Pass with covid insurance to use her US passport. Not sure what to disclose on the covid insurance form online - we don't want them to pay for anything just for her to get in with a Thailand Pass Test&Go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She would get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then to stay longer she would have to apply for a one year extension as a returning Thai national. When Thai's enter with foreign passport they have to meet all the immigration requirements.

Thanks so much ubonjoe. I didn't know all that about her using a US pasport.

Your link is in Thai and she's slowly chipping away but I can't help.

The Emergency Passport application is a fillable PDF in Thai, and she's slowly chipping away at that too, between her cancer protocol she does.

13 minutes ago, ding said:

Your link is in Thai and she's slowly chipping away but I can't help.

Use Google translate on it. For forms in Thai that is different problem and only the Google translate app is possible by using the camera and it is not that good.

If you change the website to English you cannot find the same info on the website that is available in Thai only.

Here is screen grab of the info in English (translated forms Thai) from the embassy website.

image.png.89520150526ad0943cc2b9173a73f755.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1