Thai wife has cancer & wants to get home to family. Thai passport expired, can't get covid insurance to use US passport. Help?

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Use Google translate on it.

Yes, and it's just like you said;

"If you have an urgent need to travel Please see information on how to apply for emergency travel documents under section. 'Emergency Passport/Emergency Travel Document' "

1 hour ago, ding said:

So your wife got covid insurance with cancer? Which company? AXA requires disclosure but doesn't say if it disqualifies her.

I just asked her, she says she had to disclose that she had cancer it was accepted this was with a Thai company

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bohemianfish said:

We are in the Seattle area also. Anyway, your wife can get emergency passport:

Emergency Passport - Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles
https://thaiconsulatela.org/services-for-thais-th/thai-passport_th/emergency-passport/

My wife said if your wife needs assistance regarding this, she can help, I can relay to her.

Yep, she's inching her way through that, it's in Thai and I can't do it for her.

We're going to get lots of passport photos tonight to mail in and bring with, my printer is awful. ????

Thanks for your offer, and your wife, very kind. Hope my wife can do it to Thai Consulate standards, but if not...

2 hours ago, ding said:

She has 9 years on her US passport.

AXA insurance requires disclosure of cancer but doesn't say if that disqualifies her. I haven't completed that, want to wait for experienced people here to advise us first.

I don't think Thais are required to have the $50k health insurance to cover covid as they are covered under the Thai National health care system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Use Google translate on it. For forms in Thai that is different problem and only the Google translate app is possible by using the camera and it is not that good.

If you change the website to English you cannot find the same info on the website that is available in Thai only.

Here is screen grab of the info in English (translated forms Thai) from the embassy website.

image.png.89520150526ad0943cc2b9173a73f755.png

The Google Lens app is better.  Open the app, press Translate, point camera at the text you wish to translate.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I don't think Thais are required to have the $50k health insurance to cover covid as they are covered under the Thai National health care system.

That might depend on how long she has been out of Thailand 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

That might depend on how long she has been out of Thailand 

I have no personal experience with the issue, but what I can find online seems to indicate that all Thais are exempt from having the entry health insurance:

Thais and foreign expatriates under Thailand’s national healthcare coverage are exempt from this requirement.

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/02/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/

• Like 1

I know that when I applied for health insurance previously, I had to sign a document saying I would make no claim whatsoever for a pre-existing condition (skin cancer) so they still insured me.

I guess it depends on the insurance company.

I wish you good luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

I have no personal experience with the issue, but what I can find online seems to indicate that all Thais are exempt from having the entry health insurance:

•  

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/02/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/

Thanks. Yes, I've read that if she enters with a valid Thai passport she doesn't need covid insurance. Her Thai passport will be expired, however, and I'm not sure how that works in this case. Her US passport is valid but she has cancer and must disclose that when applying for AXA Insurance to enter under the Thailand Pass Test&Go scheme.

It looks like an Emergency Passport and Emergency Travel Document are the same thing, from the various postings at the DC Embassy and LA Consulate.

1 minute ago, ding said:

Thanks. Yes, I've read that if she enters with a valid Thai passport she doesn't need covid insurance. Her Thai passport will be expired, however, and I'm not sure how that works in this case. Her US passport is valid but she has cancer and must disclose that when applying for AXA Insurance to enter under the Thailand Pass Test&Go scheme.

It looks like an Emergency Passport and Emergency Travel Document are the same thing, from the various postings at the DC Embassy and LA Consulate.

I think I would pursue getting the Emergency Travel Document (sounds like it can be done by mail).  Get the Thailand Pass using the ETD as there should be no health insurance requirement doing it that way.  After arriving in Thailand she can go renew her Thai Passport.  I've been told that you can get a 10-year Thai passport for a little extra money over the commonly issued 5-year passport.  Seems like it would be worth the extra money to me.  Best wishes for her travel and treatment.  

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My question is would they let her board with an expired passport? 

Yes they always want 6 months on your passport. You know she would get better treated for cancer in the USA. So what's your hurry? My friends and family lived with cancer for many years Theses times are not good for travel. Maybe you should  rethink about coming to Thailand now, latter I'm sure will be easier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

image.png.89520150526ad0943cc2b9173a73f755.png

Very decent of you to take a screen shot for us.

The requirements on that are significantly different than on the LA Consulate's requirements in English (NOTE- no Legal Petition form or $8 Money Order);

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/services-for-thais/thai-passport/emergency-passport/

"5. Document required for emergency passport are (Download all forms????

• Three (3) copies of Emergency passport application form  (For your convenience, you may complete the form and make two copies of it. If applying by mail, your signature in the application form must be notarized)
    • Inquiry report and its three (3) copies  (For your convenience, you may complete the form and make two copies of it.)
    • Current passport (original) and three (3) copies of first page
    • Three (3) copies of Thai ID card or Thai House Registration book
    • Three (3) copies of airline ticket
    • Three (3) copies of signed letter explaining reasons for emergency travel. 
    • For lost and stolen passports, U.S. police report and its three (3) copies
    • Four (4) 2 inch by 2 inch identical color photos with white background. Face must be looking straight at the camera with no tilt. Dressing must be in an appropriate manner. All shirts or tops must be long sleeved. Avoid tanks tops, hats, sunglasses or reflective eyewear. Slight smile without showing teeth is acceptable. The photos should not be more than six (6) months old and those taken at photo-booths are not accepted. The back of the photos must include applicant’s name and last name. (Three (3) photos will be used as part of completing application form and one (1) photo will be used as photo on emergency passport)"
Edited by ding

9 hours ago, ding said:

The Thai embassies' phone systems are broken in the US -  full voicemail box and 'bad number' tone for "Thais in distress line" when clicking on that option.

So by Thailand standards...fully functional and normal. All systems GO!

But seriously, sorry about her health issues and being totally disregarded by the Thai embassy. Hopefully you can get this sorted and solved quickly. All the best to both of you. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this will be any help for you or not?  But since you are having trouble getting through to the Thai Embassy. The closet Thai Consulate to you is in Portland, Oregon. Maybe they can help you?  Here's their information:  

ROYAL THAI HONORARY CONSULATE-GENERAL

1136 NW Hoyt St, Suite 210, Portland, OR 97209
Tel :  (503) 221-0440 | Fax : (503) 221-0550
E-mail : [email protected]
www.thai-or.com

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Yes they always want 6 months on your passport. You know she would get better treated for cancer in the USA. So what's your hurry? My friends and family lived with cancer for many years Theses times are not good for travel. Maybe you should  rethink about coming to Thailand now, latter I'm sure will be easier.

Like the OP said she wants to be with her family and he hasn't said anything about her cancer where she has it and what stage,  when my wife was diagnosed we got removed as soon as we could and I have no complaints about the treatment or the hospital, How much would the treatment be in America, 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry for you and your wife. Hope her treatment works out for you both.

Covid insurance: I thought returning Thai nationals didn't need this insurance. BUT if they do some  insurers online applications, AXA for example,  ask for disclosure of existing and pre existing conditions and medication  and likely an instant refusal but Tune ( Luma) asks no such question in their online application and on payment an instant acceptance and emailed certificate etc.. Hope that helps

6 hours ago, ding said:

I hadn't heard of the "certificate of identity". She has a valid Thai ID card if that's what they said in 2020 to you.

My wife finally talked to the LA Consulate and he only said she needed an Emergency Passport. Nothing about a "Certificate of Identity" or Thai ID card.

She needs the Thailand Pass with covid insurance to use her US passport. Not sure what to disclose on the covid insurance form online - we don't want them to pay for anything just for her to get in with a Thailand Pass Test&Go.

You are using the correct procedure. As you said , for her to come with her American passport will require covid insurance and once she is here, if she wants to stay longer that 90 days, will have to get visas, and visa extensions . 

A few months ago we  had the same issue with the expired passport and we got the emergency travel document,  . And we are glad we did,

A friend of my wife's came here with her American passport once , and had to pay an overstay fine when she departed because she had come here visa exempt, and had stayed longer than the allowed time. She thought that because she was Thai it did not apply to her, but because she came with her US passport it did.

Your wife should certainly not come here with her US passport unless it is tottaky nessacery.  

The emergency travel passport  will be issued to her in a few days and she will be good to go. 

Once she is here it is very easy to renew her passport, and now they issue 10 year passports. So she will be good for a while. 

Good luck , and a quick recovery for your wife, I hope she has a good trip????

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

I believe that the Certificate of Identity is the title on the document and it is used when the traveller cannot get a Passport before traveling.  It is only good for a singe trip and is valid for only a short time.

I'll see if we still have it around here somewhere.  My packrat ways paid off this time.  I think the name "Emergency Passport" is a better one.  I do see that the form to apply for it does show "Certificate of Identity" in English.

CoI.jpg

When i lost my PP in thailand some years ago the embassy gave me a travel dokument.I used the same document in immigration in BKK so they could verify my touristvisa and they issued a new arrivalcard as well.

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Thats what I was going to say entering on a American passport causes more problem I know someone it happened too thought she was being clever arriving on a UK passport and it backfired,

I also know some one who came here with her US Passport she stayed longer than the allowed time and when she left she had to pay an overstay fine, and almost missed her flight home. The fact that she was Thai made no difference. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I also know some one who came here with her US Passport she stayed longer than the allowed time and when she left she had to pay an overstay fine, and almost missed her flight home. The fact that she was Thai made no difference. 

Ur rigth.My kids arrived with PP from my country.When they left BKK they oversayed 8-9 months but because the mother is thai and their age that time was under 15 we didnt have any problems leaving thailand.

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The woman I knew it was the same, apparently started kicking off at the airport "im Thai" refusing to pay nearly got herself arrested 

• Like 2

Just now, ChipButty said:

The woman I knew it was the same, apparently started kicking off at the airport "im Thai" refusing to pay nearly got herself arrested 

Perhaps we know the same woman LOL

was her name Nataly? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Noobie said:

The closet Thai Consulate to you is in Portland, Oregon. Maybe they can help you?  Here's their information: 

They cannot do anything to help Thais since it only a honorary consulate. About all they can do is issue visas and at this time they cannot do that due to covid 19 restrictions.