Years after calling Bitcoin ‘rat poison,’ Warren Buffett just invested $1 billion in a crypto-friendly bank

Buffett is a value investor. He looks at the business fundamentals, and whether the business management is competent and honest. He may disdain bitcoin and crypto, but he has also invested in airlines, which I would not touch with a barge pole. Especially now.

• Like 2

Sounds like BH is still believing in the BRICS hype of 20 years ago.  I always saw it as a joke.

Buffett has always touted the long-term strategy, but this looks like a timed investment: my guess is they see some kind of economic healing on the horizon, which means a growth spurt.  As always, it's going to be a matter of when to get out.  From things heard in recent years I don't know if Buffett is as involved in the fund as he was in days or yore.

Argentina?  I wouldn't dare.  They borrow billions, those is power steal it, the people get pushed deeper into to poverty and those running the gov't plead for the loans to be forgiven.  When there is no foreign entity to bilk they'll steal from one pocket and stash it in the other.  I was last there around ten years ago when the exchange rate with USD was 4 pesos to $1.  Just checked the rates, today it's 104:1.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 12:12 AM, Lacessit said:

Buffett is a value investor. He looks at the business fundamentals, and whether the business management is competent and honest. He may disdain bitcoin and crypto, but he has also invested in airlines, which I would not touch with a barge pole. Especially now.

Investors like Buffet do not go with the flow . That is the secret of there success 

Airlines is a good example as you mentioned . 

Warren Buffett... This is what he said about airlines:

The worst sort of business is one that grows rapidly, requires significant capital to engender the growth, and then earns little or no money. Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down.
-- Warren Buffett, in the 2007 Berkshire Hathaway shareholder letter 

He should have really listened to himself sometimes: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/warren-buffett-should-have-listened-to-himself-on-airlines.html

We might just see a similar article about his Bitcoin investments one day, perhaps not too far away.

• Like 1

He and his fellow dinosaur buddy know the future of cryptocurrency adoption but their egos are two big to admit they were wrong and missed the boat. Due to their lack of integrity, they are, they try to hide what they are doing by investing indirectly in the space, and pulling $3 billion out of tradition finance.

Munger ever said he was proud not to have invested in Bitcoin :cheesy:

image.png.4c9c2408c05d28605bc18da9f66cf2b9.png

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I take no position yea or nay on Bitcoin but when I read topic headings like
Siam Commercial Bank moving into Crypto, why aren't you? the phrase Pump & Dump comes into mind.

Many here seem to think you have to be either 'for' or 'against' crypto, which you don't. 

Why do you think pump and dump? Do you think SCB are pumping and dumping? That thread was a fair question to put to investors; when large banks and billionaires are investing in crypto, why are you not. Sadly, some seem to hate crypto so much , they take this kinda question personally. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

You were the one who posted that topic with the Why-Aren't-You? Are you doing this a community service?

So you think "I" did a pump and dump? 

Do you really think I am that influential? 

Absurd. 

If it had been "Warren Buffet buying gold, why aren't you?" would that also be a pump and dump in your mind, or is it only crypto you are sensitive about?

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So you think "I" did a pump and dump? 

Do you really think I am that influential? 

Absurd. 

If it had been "Warren Buffet buying gold, why aren't you?" would that also be a pump and dump in your mind, or is it only crypto you are sensitive about?

At least as far as this AN/TV goes, you certainly are on the Pump.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

At least as far as this AN/TV goes, you certainly are on the Pump.

Are you really suggesting that I am taking advantage of this forum to cheat the members out of money by pumping and dumping cryptocurrency?  

Frankly, I find that insulting, and absurd. The only reason I posted that thread about SCB is to point out to everyone what is going on in Thailand regarding the future of the financial world. I have absolutely no interest in gaining anything myself. 

Edited by Neeranam

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you really suggesting that I am taking advantage of this forum to cheat the members out of money by pumping and dumping cryptocurrency? 

I am suggesting you are taking a very one-sided approach such as your Why aren't you? and your asking on another post of a contrarian position Can I ask your motive for posting this?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I am suggesting you are taking a very one-sided approach such as your Why aren't you? and your asking on another post of a contrarian position Can I ask your motive for posting this?

You are NOT suggesting such a thing, you were accusing me of pumping and dumping.

The purpose of this forum to discuss ideas. I want discussion, certainly not flames, which is against forum rules. 

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You are NOT suggesting such a thing, you were accusing me of pumping and dumping.

The purpose of this forum to discuss ideas. I want discussion, certainly not flames, which is against forum rules. 

This is what I said:

"I take no position yea or nay on Bitcoin but when I read topic headings like  Siam Commercial Bank moving into Crypto, why aren't you? the phrase Pump & Dump comes into mind."

My gmail account spam filter almost every has "Why aren't you in Bitcoin?" spam.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1