Zebra Lines

bikerlou47

Does the government want a driver to stop when there are ZEBRA LINES on the road.

I just saw a video of a red truck get rear ended due to the fact the the truck stopped on the ZEBRA LINES.

These ZEBRA LINES were directly under a traffic light that was clearly green.

This country is so screwed up!

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Getting rear ended is my main concern when stopping even at traffic lights, i check what's going on behind me first, zebra is high risk.

I think when green must be ok to drive through, zebra with no lights is a mystery, no one stops in Pattaya

I think there's a requirement written down in the Thai Road rules that it's best to stop at the black & white crosswalks or red & white crosswalks when people are walking into the road and are already on them.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think there's a requirement written down in the Thai Road rules that it's best to stop at the black & white crosswalks or red & white crosswalks when people are walking into the road and are already on them.

Makes sense but we end up doing what Thais do like at traffic lights accelerating away when red but about to turn green

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Make sense don't you think? no need a rule book book for it really, common sense and curtsy...

5 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

Does the government want a driver to stop when there are ZEBRA LINES on the road.

I just saw a video of a red truck get rear ended due to the fact the the truck stopped on the ZEBRA LINES.

These ZEBRA LINES were directly under a traffic light that was clearly green.

This country is so screwed up!

Here's the vdo tweeted by Barrow who has got his message wrong on this one. The only reason the Benz should stop is to avoid rear ending the red truck. The red truck should never have stopped without checking his rear mirror for the tailgating Benz. The pedestrian was trying to cross the pedestrian crossing when the lights were green for the cars. So the pedestrian was an idiot or the lights were not functioning from the pedestrians point of view. More likely the former I'd guess.

Truck in vid didn't get rear ended because HE stopped,  but because other person simply wasn't paying attention, crosswalk or not.  Curious how the pedestrian made it to the middle of the road, during a green light.

I actually did it again, did not stop at crosswalk, though this time I probably should have, legally.  Person was on opposite side, obviously waiting for me to pass, before actually stepping off curb.  I, out of habit, developed since not knowing the law, simply drove through, at my surfside 25 km tourist speed, then again, it clicked, 'damn, I did it again'.  Although, it still seems silly after the fact, for me to actually stop, since no other traffic, and the person crossing was waiting for me to pass.  As most intelligent pedestrians do.  Law or not.

On flip side of that, at Hua Hin the other day, and a couple standing in between the lanes on Phetkasem, waiting to cross (no crosswalk), and I being the lead vehicle from traffic light, now 50m behind me, checked mirror, realizing nobody planning on zipping past me, I put my flashers on, and straddled both lanes, slowing to a momentary stop and waving them across.  Knowing if I didn't, they'd be there for a long time.  Cars behind didn't need to stop, but definitely had to ease off the accelerator.

I actually do that often, when I can, as never in a hurry, usually  ????

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, Live Long and Prosper said:

What like putting U turns in on double and triple carriage way roads

Those are the most dangerous and absurd things ever, if someone is opposite direction doing the same thing, you cant see a damn thing ciming ! Vison is completely blocked to oncoming traffic.

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Those are the most dangerous and absurd things ever, if someone is opposite direction doing the same thing, you cant see a damn thing ciming ! Vison is completely blocked to oncoming traffic.

Ah, but so much cheaper to build than over/underpasses.   Think they do realize their error.  To be fair, most inter-province roads were designed way before the amount of vehicles now using them.

They are getting around to constructing them  (over/underpasses) and a slow work in progress.  Calling them inter-province highways is a stretch, considering they pass through towns with cross traffic and traffic signals.  

Remember 20 yrs ago, I could do Udon Thani to Bangkok in just over 6 hrs, a mere 560 kms.  Now it take about 9, and that's a good day. http://tiny.cc/dbqouz