Building a new house in Isaan

Encid

8 hours ago, MJCM said:

I will ask our builder to put these in (if still possible)!  Thx for the tip!

Gable vents are super common in Thailand.

Yet there're hardly any vented ridges. The local builders have never heard of those.

At least not on the residential roofs.

2 minutes ago, unheard said:

Gable vents are super common in Thailand.

Yet there're hardly any vented ridges. The local builders have never heard of those.

At least not on the residential roofs.

Is that due to the risk of rain getting in I wonder???

Edited by Will B Good

5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Thats  stuffs  expensive. an alternative is the same  roof  with6-10mm  foam, spray glued  on though have seen the stuff  delaminating in some places

PU Expensive? As relative to the thermal properties it provides?

I'd say it's a bargain in reference to reduction of the cooling costs.

PU doesn't de-laminate, the other "thin" stuff does and is mostly worthless in comparison.

Edited by unheard

5 minutes ago, unheard said:

PU Expensive? As relative to the thermal properties it provides?

I'd say it's a bargain in reference to reduction of the cooling costs.

PU doesn't de-laminate, the other "thin" stuff does and is mostly worthless in comparison.

I  got a price for  both and the  panels  shown with it  applied at the factory was  way  more  expensive, the  thin stuff  is  fine and concentrate on thick fibreglass  over the ceilings

14 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Is that due to the risk of rain getting in I wonder???

That's right since the ridge vents need to be designed and installed in a certain way as to prevent the wind driven rain water from getting blown into the ridge opening.

There are numerous companies in Australia and the U.S. that sell properly designed ridge vent systems.

There are none in Thailand that I'm aware of (not sure about the commercial buildings applications since it's a completely different market segment).

If you decide to go with such an option here then it would definitely be some kind of a custom fabrication.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  got a price for  both and the  panels  shown with it  applied at the factory was  way  more  expensive, the  thin stuff  is  fine and concentrate on thick fibreglass  over the ceilings

At the factory?

There are multiple roof metal forming shops spread all over the country.

Many of those offer PU insulation.

And just about every Bluescope affiliated shop offers PU insulation as an option.

4 minutes ago, unheard said:

That's right since the ridge vents need to be designed and installed in a certain way as to prevent the wind driver rain water from getting blown into the ridge opening.

There are numerous companies in Australia and the U.S. that sell properly designed ridge vent systems.

There are none in Thailand that I'm aware of (not sure about the commercial buildings applications since it's a completely different market segment).

If you decide to go with such an option here then it would definitely be some kind of a custom fabrication.

We have no insulation in our roof space. The roof concrete tiles with soffits under the eves.

I am assuming (hoping) we will get some ventilation as hot air leaks through the overlapping roof tiles........correct?

Edited by Will B Good

On 3/28/2022 at 6:42 PM, Muhendis said:

My house has a regular four sided pitched roof rather like a pyramid. There is plenty of headroom for me being vertically indisposed as you might say. There are plenty of horizontal RC beams to walk along  which allows easy access to the ceiling below without stepping on the panelling. I'm sure the ceiling would fall apart if I were to stand on it.

I  ran 2 x 4"  steel beams   welded  togethr  across  all my  wall  tops  so I cna traverse  the roof  space when  building, can only do it  during  construction as they were 6 metres  long

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, unheard said:

At the factory?

There are multiple roof metal forming shops spread all over the country.

Many of those offer PU insulation.

And just about every Bluescope affiliated shop offers PU insulation as an option.

I  think were  talking different things, this is the metal sheets with a  very level layer of  about 4  inch thick hard foam stuck to them

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

We have no insulation in our roof space. The roof concrete tiles with soffits under the eves.

I am assuming (hoping) we will get some ventilation as hot air leaks through the overlapping roof tiles........correct?

Well, not really.

There will be close to zero air circulation in that situation.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Thats  stuffs  expensive. an alternative is the same  roof  with6-10mm  foam, spray glued  on though have seen the stuff  delaminating in some places

I don't think it was that expensive our Roof was with all kinds of bits and pieces approx 53k THB.

That stuff (the spray glued one) is rubbish IMHO. We have it in our old house for the shed for the water filtration and it all let go and looks really like rubbish after just a year or so!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, unheard said:

I think so:

sheet.PNG.3cf7c11bc15d9c2b15bbb5ad6a3b9cf8.PNG

VS

pu.PNG.a75e93989f434b814d3086e46c665b86.PNG

I maen your second  photo, wasnt available by  me had to be made  elsewhere even though they had the steel forming machines they could  only  add  the thin foam and was expensive, maybe just my location I dont know, did  my roof in January on one  of my  houses

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

That stuff (the spray glued one) is rubbish IMHO. We have it in our old house for the shed for the water filtration and it all let go and looks really like rubbish after just a year or so!

Agreed.

The spray glued one is worthless.

5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I maen your second  photo, wasnt available by  me had to be made  elsewhere even though they had the steel forming machines they could  only  add  the thin foam and was expensive, maybe just my location I dont know, did  my roof in January on one  of my  houses

Same one as ours and we got ours from the local BK Roofing (ordered 8 April 2020)

Edit: Even Lazada has it ????  but doubt they got the 17m lengths we used :whistling:

Wrong, that is the plastic cover only!!

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Same one as ours and we got ours from the local BK Roofing (ordered 8 April 2020)

Nearest Bluescope to me 100km away and on another house ordered from them arrived  battered and dented............oh but they did  replace it and charge us re  delivery,  always that good  ole  customer service.

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

Nearest Bluescope to me 100km away and on another house ordered from them arrived  battered and dented............oh but they did  replace it and charge us re  delivery,  always that good  ole  customer service.

We have 3 different companies who can do it in a radius of lets say 10kms! But most of them will not do small jobs (so 1 panel only)

6 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Same here. the nearest Bluescope store is close to a hundred kilometers away.

The delivery charge wasn't cheap (even with a discount).

They did sent their rep to check the site, to verify all dimensions, just prior to the order going into production.

At least one of the local non-Bluescope metal forming shops also offer PU insulation but only sells Chinese (or Korean, not sure) roof metal, which is significantly cheaper in comparison.

39 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  havent found it worthless its quietens  rain noise better than none and does  offer  some protection form heat, I  rely  mostly  on the ceiling insulation not the roof, out of interest I  just went into the loft space of  one of  my houses to see  how  it was  holding up after 3.5  years, looks  fine to me

20220331_143654.jpg

Well, yes, it's better than nothing, that's for sure.

I have two different roofs, with both types of insulation installed.

Their thermal properties differ, a lot (I think - don't have any scientific evidence).

The picture shows that yours is still in very good condition and probably will not de-laminate any time soon.

But there are many visible cases of de-lamination out there.

Don't know if it's related to the quality of the materials or environmental exposure, maybe both.

Edited by unheard

The poles are buried 1.5m deep and today they are filling the holes for the poles with concrete, letting it cure overnight, then they will start running the cable tomorrow.

Our builder has assured that we will not have any leaning poles even 6 months from now!

Time will tell!

277420454_1126057711582383_332553598105427768_n.thumb.jpg.a03a8ec88a4c1f14f0149f97357efe31.jpg

Edited by Encid

And the land fill is complete to our new required level.

275796463_2076450335849010_1311509625327232732_n.thumb.jpg.c79bb4fab8eac3dff9c34da9aefbdc69.jpg

276048824_285565823741178_4687214752331645449_n.thumb.jpg.ce498dfb358e215810717019219dd06a.jpg

276188880_3270540673167610_586693089563804591_n.thumb.jpg.ade7acb8f500021040e5119cddc95fd1.jpg

277030848_1197278144440875_4494801391742434905_n.thumb.jpg.b05d9b3a2514e2b805810caebd157eb3.jpg

277405650_662023444910291_8824770080879822961_n.thumb.jpg.ca32179f13f92fbd424053d4c15d7b60.jpg

277613089_2149474881885407_8695530573971256545_n.thumb.jpg.5a9f4214140fab3deacaa9a63c0ebdac.jpg

Don't ask me why the photos are all different sizes... 555

• Like 1

BIL and SIL are most impressed.

Passers-by were asking if we plan to build a resort or a factory... :laugh:

Both the land fill team and the electric poles team have been sleeping on-site overnight, in a small shelter on the family owned farm next door.

My wife has been sending her brother cash amounts to ply them all with cold beer at the end of the day.

No shower facilities - only washing in the pond, but they are all happy.

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Had my suspicions that would be the case!!!

We have no gable ends so......whirlybirds???

Whirlybirds would be better than nothing.

They come in different sizes. I'd assume the bigger ones might make a difference, depending on the install and general roof design.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, unheard said:

Whirlybirds would be better than nothing.

They come in different sizes. I'd assume the bigger ones might make a difference, depending on the install and general roof design.

Any other options you would consider in similar circumstances?

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Any other options you would consider in similar circumstances?

Tiled roof without gable vents?

I think the only good option is to insulate your ceilings as to prevent heat transmission from the attic. Or the spray-on insulation, sprayed on the tiles from the underneath.

As in addition to every other measure taken to keep your building as cool as possible.

A perfectly insulated roof would still make no difference if the rest of the house is thermally leaky.

e.g. walls, windows, doors and even floors could be all big sources of thermal energy entering the house.