Building a new house in Isaan

Encid

2 minutes ago, unheard said:

I can not find a single instance of that name anywhere on the internet.

Can you please point in the right direction?

Thanks.

ต้นไทรเกาหลี Google!!!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Encid said:

So probably a good plant for a privacy hedge, but not as an erosion preventive plant on a slope?

I need something to plant on a slope as well as the first metre of flat land at the top of the slope.

Erosion prevention is priority one, having a privacy screen is secondary.

Yep could be we only use it for privacy! (and they are great at it)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Encid said:

Thank you.

I just found some very useful information about it from the Land Development Department.

It does require management & is not very shade tolerant, but this is some that hasn’t been managed much for 10+ years AF88A904-2AAE-471E-8F25-AAF36C17C41A.thumb.jpeg.fcb1b821161d00379128bd8901f742dd.jpeg3FA255AF-270D-4949-AB95-1EBF535B7B60.thumb.jpeg.65a14b538d28f79e9ecd3b3372a28e4d.jpeg

then this was 8 years ago75836565-8871-48D3-8798-651D0C768B1D.thumb.png.87b9ea93f8a9ee88d3c655ca80388966.png

0B5130F3-3F77-4D47-8865-07CFF52A07D8.thumb.png.9940a8c338a2fd173497fa850e20486b.png

it is also very good at treating dirty or contaminated water so plant it over your leach field.

https://www.vetiver.org/AUS_stabilization.htm

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, unheard said:

Thanks.

Sorry not sure whare to find on the net, just print a picture from this thread and go to a garden center. Perhaps some one here can post the name in Thai for you to give to the shop.

Edited by Isan Farang
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Isan Farang said:

Sorry not sure whare to find on the net, just print a picure from this thread and go to a garden center. Perhaps some one here can post the name in Thai for you to give to the shop.

Already done

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

3FA255AF-270D-4949-AB95-1EBF535B7B60.thumb.jpeg.65a14b538d28f79e9ecd3b3372a28e4d.jpeg

What a beautiful leelawadee... :wub:

I might have to sneak by your place and alibaba a cutting... :cool:

On 3/31/2022 at 4:08 PM, Encid said:

The gate I want to have (and I have admittedly never seen one here in Thailand) is a lockable rut-runner gate that is wide enough to allow tractors and other farming equipment to pass through.

The gate would look something like this:

312892914_rut-runnergate_1.jpeg.48a0118e85c6c9f9c7abd495c9e88ad2.jpeg

1296682601_rut-runnergate_2.jpeg.2f650811acce81769ac449cdbc4d9efa.jpeg

In the future we will look at automating it by adding a motor with remote control, but for the short term it will suffice to keep unwanted animals (cows, dogs, people etc) off the property.

As the wall will be 3m high, the gate should probably be at least 2m high,

More on this subject...

My dear wife has informed me that we cannot have this kind of gate... it must not be able to be "see-through", as it has to keep all our money inside and a "see-through" gate will allow the money to escape.

:blink:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Encid said:

More on this subject...

My dear wife has informed me that we cannot have this kind of gate... it must not be able to be "see-through", as it has to keep all our money inside and a "see-through" gate will allow the money to escape.

:blink:

That picture shows what looks like rail tracks so you want them too to move your money about ? ????

Edited by Excel
  • Haha 1

I have also revised the roof outline and the location for the water storage tank for the Guest House. (Thanks for those suggestions!)

Having larger eaves will help keep the weather out of the open kitchen/rest area, and also provide cover to park motocycs and other vehicles, as well as possible future water storage tanks

The expanded roof area will also assist in the collection of rain water which can be added to the water storage tank.

The rain water will help to dilute and soften the well water.

Changing the orientation also means that we must change the orientation of our bed... your head must never point towards the direction of the setting sun (west) when sleeping. Another Thai tradition/cultural thing...

Capture.JPG.69d98e532f56b37157487d23f5ab3357.JPG

1 hour ago, Encid said:

What a beautiful leelawadee... :wub:

I might have to sneak by your place and alibaba a cutting... :cool:

SWMBO is the one who does all the garden.

As to sneaking by, you haven’t completed your profile so I don’t know if that’s on the cards, but they propagate from a branch easily so it would be likely that SWMBO might be agreeable.

• Like 1

@MJCM

Thanks for the compliment!

I am using AutoCAD to produce the drawings (to scale) in 2D.

But I am by no means an expert using the software... self-taught!

I too am using Sweet Home 3D to produce 3D images of the main house, but I find that although the results are very good conceptually, they are not accurate and the libraries available don't have everything I want.

For example, steps and stairs are just not intuitive... neither are ramps and slopes.

I will post some of my preliminary designs for the main house later.

6 minutes ago, Encid said:

@MJCM

I too am using Sweet Home 3D to produce 3D images of the main house, but I find that although the results are very good conceptually, they are not accurate and the libraries available don't have everything I want.

For example, steps and stairs are just not intuitive... neither are ramps and slopes.

Do you realise that going from AutoCAD to SketchUp is really easy for walls and floors? Also they are by nature exact as to measurements, if your AutoCAD is accurate of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Do you realise that going from AutoCAD to SketchUp is really easy for walls and floors? Also they are by nature exact as to measurements, if your AutoCAD is accurate of course.

Yeah.

I use Sketchup for all my work too. It's good for showing where shadows will be all year round and at any time of day.

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Thanks for the tip... I might have to give it a go.

Here is a layout showing the raised area and the locations of both the main house and the guest house relative to the government road and the pond.

Area (including the pond) is approx 3700 m2  or 2.3 rai, with a perimeter of 264m.

Area (excluding the pond) is approx 2600 m2 or 1.6 rai, with a perimeter of 210m.

Capture.JPG.febcca85de47cd7dfcbaa83562f6fad4.JPG

53 minutes ago, Encid said:

@MJCM

This was the roof design (of the build we were originally planning to do for our current house) but because we wanted to leave urgently our old house we decided on a very basic build!!

U-Shaped house raised approx 1,5-2m above ground level

Did this with sweethome 3d!!

Still thinking of doing this to our current house but would be a MAJOR operation!!

u-house.JPG.d76825e144a88f647bde670131716adf.JPG

Edited by MJCM

5 hours ago, unheard said:

Thanks.

It's called Korean boxwood I think (Buxus sinica insularis)

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Encid said:

I have also revised the roof outline

The roof overhangs can not be just enlarged at will without being given any consideration to the extensions' structural support which can lead to wind damage.

Do you plan on adding the necessary (judging by your roof dimensions) supporting columns?

The extra supporting columns are not a trivial add-on, money-wise.

Edited by unheard

18 minutes ago, unheard said:

The roof overhangs can not be just enlarged at will without being given any consideration to the extensions' structural support which can lead to wind damage.

Do you plan on adding the necessary (judging by your roof dimensions) supporting columns?

A 2m or 3m roof overhang is not excessive if you use correctly sized structural members.

See this for example:

20220201_142512.thumb.jpg.6df8be05651617514e19ed5a5fa2832c.jpg

50 minutes ago, unheard said:

From the house plans it look as if the roof overhangs are quite modest at a short one at the back 2 metres on 2 sides and 3 metres at the front. The 2 metre roofing certainly doesn’t need anything in the way of supports, the 3 metre might possibly need something though probably not as long as the structure is properly designed.

I am sure of my information since we have 2.5 metres on 3 sides, one of them has decorative supports that probably add little to the strength. 

this is a current security camera shot63082C3B-B4C0-488F-AB20-7ADCF5172441.thumb.png.11e96cf71edb63b18695249b90993901.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Encid said:

A 2m or 3m roof overhang is not excessive if you use correctly sized structural members.

See this for example:

20220201_142512.thumb.jpg.6df8be05651617514e19ed5a5fa2832c.jpg

The example shows the un-permitted car port - no one really cares about the structural integrity of those.

If you plan to build a permitted house then there's no way a structural engineer will undersign such a design for a dwelling.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

From the house plans it look as if the roof overhangs are quite modest at a short one at the back 2 metres on 2 sides and 3 metres at the front.

2 meters are fine (maybe), yet 3 meters - is really pushing it.

I think the OP has 3 meters or more on his mind.

Was your house design permitted?

Edited by unheard

26 minutes ago, unheard said:

2 meters are fine (maybe), yet 3 meters - is really pushing it.

I think the OP has 3 meters or more on his mind.

Was your house design permitted?

Had a permit been required it would have been with no problems. Our architect and structural engineer had absolutely no suggestion that it wasn’t either permitted or sound.

longer than 2.5 ~ 3 metres may have required a different roof structure.

As we went to our old house today some pictures I promised to post

1st- Tie Wrap Internet cable fixed to the electric cable

tiewrap_internet.JPG.bc1cb7890cafc49e941ae3a78664012f.JPG

2- That Insulation foil sprayed on with glue, how it looks

roof_2.JPG.80fc711927b61a670b85de6aa5ace98f.JPG

And it really looks bad!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MJCM said:

As we went to our old house today some pictures I promised to post

1st- Tie Wrap Internet cable fixed to the electric cable

tiewrap_internet.JPG.bc1cb7890cafc49e941ae3a78664012f.JPG

2- That Insulation foil sprayed on with glue, how it looks