Building a new house in Isaan

Encid

20 hours ago, GarryP said:

I have one that looks almost identical in my house in Bangkok. It came with the house when I bought the house from its previous owner nearly 6 years ago so at least 6 years old and still going strong.   

My sister in law has that model, about 15 years old now. Just before pandemic, the tank sprung a leak, corrosion, had a ss tank fitted for around 2000 baht, good forever now.

Requirements can change from day to day, just have a look at the visa forum.

I still wonder how @ubonjoe keeps up with all the requirements to give accurate info

So Property/land ownership regulation is IMHO not that far off.

And again because we are in TiT regulations vary from office to office.

When we first into our local Tessabaan (on advice from the local Phoo Yai) it was really a tense situation.

Tense because the person in charge was really coming down hard, with this requirement / that requirement etc etc he even wanted to know which size steel we were going to use for our ........ wall!

And after 1-2 weeks I gave him this and they were ...... silent and after that everything was easy (and even more easier after ensuring the services of the local Tessabaan architect :whistling:)

wall.JPG.3e0dda75804cfb104143b833f84a6719.JPG

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

If you want to use plants to use for obscuring view use these. There are cheap and low maintenance! (Only cutting down from time to time) easily bought from a local garden center

(Phonetic:  Sai Gaulea (last one translated as Korea)

(These are less then 1 year old and see how big they got and they can grow very tall)

a.jpg

Edited by MJCM
Changed Big to Tall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You can actually build closer if there are no windows facing the neighbour. there is an absolute ban on water from your property going next door,

If no windows, doors or ventilation outlets facing the neighbour then it is only 50cm. 

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If no windows, doors or ventilation outlets facing the neighbour then it is only 50cm. 

I guess you are talking building a house in the city with direct neighbors????

Same regulations for as OP right in the Sticks??

20 minutes ago, MJCM said:

If you want to use plants to use for obscuring view use these. There are cheap and low maintenance! (Only cutting down from time to time) easily bought from a local garden center

(These are less then 1 year old and see how big they got and they can grow very tall)

a.jpg

They are great as long as they get sunshine on both sides like the above, but if they do not get sunshine on one side, you end up with a very one sided hedge. As such, I would suggest you do not plant them too close to your house or a pre-existing fence/wall, otherwise you will get something like my hedge (same plant) which looks dead on one side. 

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

They are great as long as they get sunshine on both sides like the above, but if they do not get sunshine on one side, you end up with a very one sided hedge. As such, I would suggest you do not plant them too close to your house or a pre-existing fence/wall, otherwise you will get something like my hedge (same plant) which looks dead on one side. 

We have them on our Water Storage Shed and they get sun from only one side and they are TALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Have a look from both sides!! (inside and from the side)

YMMV

Outside view

outside.jpg.5ef8b29cc90173891eef841a9ac8ca77.jpg

Side view

inside.jpg.fd0b5a94c74f5b586af5caabbbc8f34f.jpg

Edit: Approx 1,5 years old these

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

No. Neither a city nor out in the sticks. I am building in Kham Muang on the main road but I will have a direct neighbour. I believe that the same regulations apply regardless.  

14 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Again,  there are "experts'  here that will tell us "what the facts are" .   When i disagree with them based on my experience(S)  having dealings in 8 different locations in Thailand , they tell me i am wrong.     When the LOCAL authority tells me that it can be  :   one meter .    half a meter IF .   Two meters .    I have found that saying "well,  in  so and so where i lived they told me "   can possibly help. Also,  it can hurt (ego thing).     It is really not much different than the discrepencies from one immigration office to another.   

The more I have dealt with the "authorities" ..... the more i decide on how the best way is to proceed to try to get what i need/want.     MY EXPERiENCE  is never to take the I am right attitude .  I do try to go right to the horses mouth ( hua nah at the office/ department) .   Once they tell me something close to what i want to hear I smile and say GREAT (well, khap khun krap) .  

Note:   never once did i get in a big fight .   Sometimes i just had to bite the bullet and figure out how to adapt.  i also got my way quite a few times.   

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GarryP said:

No. Neither a city nor out in the sticks. I am building in Kham Muang on the main road but I will have a direct neighbour. I believe that the same regulations apply regardless.  

Don't count on it 555

Edited by MJCM
Decreased 555

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

a.jpg

What is the root structure like?

Do you think they could be used on the sloping walls of our filled land to help prevent erosion and provide a good privacy hedge?

Thanks to everyone for their input on what is and isn't legal wrt how far you can build a domicile from the boundary of your property, however this does not concern me at all as neither my main house nor my guest house will be built less than 5 metres from our legal boundary (as defined by a red chanote).

I am more concerned about the comments about obtaining your neighbours' permission to build on our own rural (not village residential) land.

And it would seem that the local Tessabaan or Orportor requirements may override government requirements... TIT!

I plan to find out next week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Encid said:

I am more concerned about the comments about obtaining your neighbours' permission to build on our own rural (not village residential) land.

That is a requirement that I have never come across. I don’t believe that it exists.

There may be a village where everyone agrees that it must be followed, but even so it won’t be a legal requirement just a culture one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MJCM said:

If you want to use plants to use for obscuring view use these.

Sai Gaulea?

I have a problem finding the botanical name.

Is that how the Thais tend to pronounce it?

How far apart did you plant them?

Edited by unheard

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There may be a village where everyone agrees that it must be followed, but even so it won’t be a legal requirement just a culture one.

But isn't it a "common practice" in about every village to at least to notify the village head of the pending construction?

It might not be a "legal" requirement but the refusal to do so might cost you dearly in the long run.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, unheard said:

But isn't it a "common practice" in about every village to at least to notify the village head of the pending construction?

It might not be a "legal" requirement but the refusal to do so might cost you dearly in the long run.

But our land is not in the village!

We are 800 metres beyond the last PEA pole in the village, and are the only ones building out there (except for the occasional minor shack for farm workers).

10 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

The name given is correct, I had these planted from around 30cm

Looks great!

Is that 30cm apart or 30cm high?

How long ago did you plant them?

Planted from seedlings?

Can I assume that the root structure is about as extensive as the branch/foliage structure?

15 minutes ago, Encid said:

But our land is not in the village!

We are 800 metres beyond the last PEA pole in the village, and are the only ones building out there (except for the occasional minor shack for farm workers).

My house is also over 800 metres from the village last post and 10 years ago, when it was built, our builder said we were lucky to start when we did because building permission from the local gov. office would be required in six months time. We also had building inspectors visit the site from time to time to make sure the workmanship was up to scratch and the house built to design.

45 minutes ago, Encid said:

Looks great!

Is that 30cm apart or 30cm high?

How long ago did you plant them?

Planted from seedlings?

Can I assume that the root structure is about as extensive as the branch/foliage structure?

We planted them in our old house 3 per meter but that in our current house 2 per meter. (3 per meter is a real good privacy fence)

Root structure is what I have been told by a Farang Garden expert is that the roots don't wander and are very compact.

Another thing is that they are very easy to keep. In our old house (because we seldom visit) they get water only maybe once every 4-6 weeks.

But when they are young (we bought them when they were approx 80-90cm tall for a price then of approx 100 thb each) we put them in good soil and watered them daily!

These are now approx 1 year old

a.jpg.784360319ae798a5848afa93850731fe.jpg

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Root structure is what I have been told by a Farang Garden expert is that the roots don't wander and are very compact.

So probably a good plant for a privacy hedge, but not as an erosion preventive plant on a slope?

I need something to plant on a slope as well as the first metre of flat land at the top of the slope.

Erosion prevention is priority one, having a privacy screen is secondary.

3 minutes ago, Encid said:

So probably a good plant for a privacy hedge, but not as an erosion preventive plant on a slope?

I need something to plant on a slope as well as the first metre of flat land at the top of the slope.

I mentioned some grass which is used for precisely this purpose a little while back but didn't have a name for it.

My wife tells me it's called "Ya Fak" (transliteration)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unheard said:

Informing the phu yai baan of the fact that you are going to be building is very different from obtaining your neighbours' permission to build. The first is usually done, the second, which I was addressing is never done

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Encid said:

Vetiver grass prevents slopes from erosion it is promoted by the government and may even be free from the correct ministry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Vetiver grass prevents slopes from erosion it is promoted by the government and may even be free from the correct ministry.

Thank you.

I just found some very useful information about it from the Land Development Department.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

The name given is correct, I had these planted from around 30cm

I can not find a single instance of that name anywhere on the internet.

Can you please point in the right direction?

Thanks.

52 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Informing the phu yai baan of the fact that you are going to be building is very different from obtaining your neighbours' permission to build. The first is usually done, the second, which I was addressing is never done

You can't say that it's never done, we were informed by our Local Tessabaan that it was a requirement and fortunately our Phoo Yai got the signatures.

Maybe it's NOT common, but we had to do it!! Have a Thai person READ the following (especially in RED) this is a piece of paper given by the HEAD Honcho in our Local Tessabaan!!!!!!

doca.JPG.80a9c90c8b469c6ba6528eff5bb3388d.JPG

Edit: @sometimewoodworker I found another one were it's stated and this was an official paper from the Tessabaan!

(Again look at the section in RED)

doc4.JPG.f140550d944bcf4bd75d5a46f1ea506f.JPG

Edit 2: If I find more prove that we had to do it, I will upload it!!!

Edited by MJCM