Thinking of going for Apple for the first time..

brewsterbudgen

You have asked and answered your own questions.

The two systems are as opposite as Apples and (enter your own word)

I can understand wanting to change manufacturers but not Operating systems and all that goes with it.

What kind of smartphone do you have?  If iPhone then maybe but if Android why change systems?

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 1

It should not be too difficult to switch to Mac from Windows. Just check to see that any programs you use, especially any that you have paid for, have a version that is compatible with Mac OS and whether you would have to pay again to get a Mac OS version. 

The main area for the average user where Window has an advantage over the Mac is the number of games written for Windows. If you're not a gamer, this shouldn't be an issue. We have both Macs and Windows machines in our household due to the need to run certain games on Windows.

11 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I would say the Mac is not worth the money still with another brand.

Absolute nonsense. I used to work with a official partner of Lenovo and Dell laptops, specifically the business series. 

I changed to Apple around 6 years ago, I paid just around 30,000 baht for the Macbook Air back then and that one is still working fine today, even the battery is still lasting over 3 hours by now. I replaced mine for a newer one as its business and the old one is used for my (ex)wife.

With the Dell laptops you have to consider replacing the battery after just 1-2 years already, that alone cost 10-15K additional over 4-6 years. Not to mention Apple just always works without a problem, no more blue screens, long booting times, virus scanners and other nonsense. It just works.

When you only try it for 30 minutes you will hate the interface and how it works at first, it kind of gives you the false impression that it is only for wannabees and hipsters or video editors. But when you change to an actual Mac, and use it a few days or a week, you never wanna go back. It is like you start to use windows 95 again (while having 10) when switching back from mac to windows.

However for some use cases you do need Windows, in that case I would opt in for a Lenovo Thinkpad but you can also install Windows on your Apple laptop and choose one when starting up.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Will I regret it?  What are the main differences or problems I can expect with switching from Windows?

I was given a Mac  from my Daughter who  trades one in every 2 years---(oh to be in the medical profession) I just installed Windows with the option of switching back and forth at the touch of a button----so far stayed on Win 10 most of the time.

• Like 1

To the OP, what you can expect:
- Hassle free sustainable use without needing to do any technical things. You only update the new MacOS once in a while which happens flawless. 

- Not needing tons of additional applications anymore, Apple by default has stuff like Excel etc too (it is called Numbers). No virus scanners etc.
- Seldom chance of getting malware or spyware or annoying browser bars in your laptop.

- Expect that it depends on the person, but takes a while to get used to using it. But you can ask the exact question you have in Google and usually the top answer already explains you how to do it. Learning to know the basic short keys and the like really makes using MacOS even 10x better.
- Going on the Internet by using Google Chrome or using other applications is exactly the same, so little changes there.

• Like 2

The issue with getting any advice about an apple product is that the products themselves are divisive. 

People either seem to like Apple products, or they hate Apple products. 

Those who like apple products are often called ‘fan boys’ by those who seems to prefer the individuality of a Windows based system... and of course then we have Linux etc. 

All I can offer is: I use a Mac for my personal ’stuff’ and have done for years. 

I’m now using a MacBook Air, its not as powerful as I’d like (for video editing etc), I perhaps should have gone with a MacBook Pro.

IMO: IF we spend the same amount of money on a PC (Laptop) as we do on an Apple we’d get a very good product. Thus, in a direct price comparison I think we are getting like for like. 

At work I use a decently spec Leveno ThinkPad hooked up to two large monitors...  it does the job but is sometimes a little glitchy when I have too much open at the same time. 

I’ve always used Windows operating systems at work - I can say that in the last 3 years or so windows has become more reliable before that, I’d always recommend to stay away from a windows Machine when buying. 

Last year I bought my son (8 yrs) an Acer Spin (it was about 13,000 baht) its been ok for his online school learning (during covid-19) - it runs all the Teams stuff and various applications and sites he is directed to through school. He also plays Roblox on it while simultaneously talking with Teams on friends, it seems fairly stable most of the time but has crashed at important times while signing in in the mornings etc... It needs to be re-started every day, whereas I can’t remember the last time I needed to restart my Mac. 

My advice: If you want hassle free computing, Macs are better but you pay more. 

I went Mac, and no, I haven’t considered going back (as the saying goes). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Absolute nonsense. I used to work with a official partner of Lenovo and Dell laptops, specifically the business series. 

I changed to Apple around 6 years ago, I paid just around 30,000 baht for the Macbook Air back then and that one is still working fine today, even the battery is still lasting over 3 hours by now. I replaced mine for a newer one as its business and the old one is used for my (ex)wife.

With the Dell laptops you have to consider replacing the battery after just 1-2 years already, that alone cost 10-15K additional over 4-6 years. Not to mention Apple just always works without a problem, no more blue screens, long booting times, virus scanners and other nonsense. It just works.

When you only try it for 30 minutes you will hate the interface and how it works at first, it kind of gives you the false impression that it is only for wannabees and hipsters or video editors. But when you change to an actual Mac, and use it a few days or a week, you never wanna go back. It is like you start to use windows 95 again (while having 10) when switching back from mac to windows.

However for some use cases you do need Windows, in that case I would opt in for a Lenovo Thinkpad but you can also install Windows on your Apple laptop and choose one when starting up.

Blue screens are a thing of the past

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kekalot said:

Some people use computers for browsing internet, youtube and Facebook only. if that's all you do then you would be fine

What are you trying to say here? Most professionals, programmers, etc all use Apple since many years. Except for a few specific applications that only are available for Windows, Apple isn't limited at all, in fact they will perform better.

• Like 1

Apple laptops are just way more efficient in every aspect compared to windows laptops, albeit in some instances windows computers can be more powerful. 

Problems will be individual to what you do with your computer, apple hasn't completely integrated their new processors to work with all devices/apps. If you play games or use unpopular software/plugins/devices, windows might be better to be honest. 

I have already switched to the new MacBook M1 Max last year, blows away my Dell Alienware laptop which was top of the line just a year back. Makes it look like a computer from the last decade. 

Main differences is better battery life, better performance, faster data transfers/hard drive, better display, better speakers. In terms of the MacBook operating system it's not too different than an iPhone/iPad now. 

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

No they are not, and it is a generic word to obviously point out: windows is hell, it is just messy and complicates things for nothing, requires manual multi step actions from users to maintain or fix it when issues arise etc.

With apple there is nothing that you do aside of clicking 'OK' once with periodic MacOS updates, which just never cause an issue. This is way better for the average consumer, also better for older people.

Saves a lot of time too which is money, or the annoyance of having to help your parents or grandparents all the time when they once again messed up their computer. I never had to help any family member again once they switched to it (and they did way before me).

"This is way better for the average consumer, also better for older people."

I'm sold!

Really interesting and thought-provoking comments.  Thanks everyone.  Looks like I'll be going for  a Macbook.

I don't like the company, and have stopped using an iPhone and an iPad. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy phone and a Huawei tablet. Love them both. 

However, an Apple laptop and desktop is a dramatically elevated experience from a windows based system. The difference is huge. I would never consider switching that. 

Switched to Mac when I had some spare cash eight years ago, at age sixty-five. Would never go back to Windows in a million years; Macs are relatively expensive but they are beautifully designed, run faultlessly, are reliable, have intuitive UIs and keep going at least double the time from when a Windows-based machine becomes exasperating, clogged up with mis-assigned or redundant code, slow and panting to be put out of its misery..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

"This is way better for the average consumer, also better for older people."

I'm sold!

Really interesting and thought-provoking comments.  Thanks everyone.  Looks like I'll be going for  a Macbook.

Do you need a notebook? I have had an apple laptop since Powerbook G4 in the 90s, and after, MacBook pros. I am currently a lot more settled in my accommodation, and finding using dual 27" monitors connected to a M1 Mac mini really refreshing, as opposed to hunched over a laptop, although, of course you can attach monitors to a MacBook. I think the mini (with 16GB RAM) offers good value, but then, I already had the monitors and peripherals.

You seem to have made a decision, with apple, everything just works. You don't need to search for a setting, these days you will be guided to settings when installing new apps and you spend more time using the computer than learning how to use the computer.

On 2/20/2022 at 5:07 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

What are you trying to say here? Most professionals, programmers, etc all use Apple since many years. Except for a few specific applications that only are available for Windows, Apple isn't limited at all, in fact they will perform better.

ahh now I understand why all those very positive drivel, this is the Apple forum and not the IT/Computers one, I haven't come on this thread manually, it was on the right side.

OPs question here is a bit like going to a concert and asking them if they like the band.

sorry to disrupt your echo chamber here, go on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I bought my first MacBook Pro in 2014 after using an iPhone for a while and liking it a lot. Since then I have bought another Macbook Pro, the latest 16-inch model, just a couple of months back. I also have an iPad. The way all the devices work together and the way the whole Apple system work is just seamless.

I have never had a problem with any of my Apple devices - and my MacBook runs pretty much all day, every day.

I have two MacBook Pros (the 2014 model has been relegated to the cupboard as a backup) and to be frank, there was no reason to buy the new 16-inch model - but boy, am I glad I did. It's wonderful in every way from being super fast, having the most gorgeous screen and is just a joy to use.

As a note, my 2014 i7 MacBook Pro still works perfectly. Battery is good for 3.5 hours. Screen still looks good, and it's still more than fast enough for any task. I bought a 2021 model simply because I wanted to treat myself.

Since getting my first MacBook Pro and later an iPad, I have become a big Apple fan. The devices are just so nice to use. They're not cheap - but they're very well made and they last. And remember, in certain industries like photography and graphic artists, Apple has a big majority share of the market.

If you have the budget for it, the new MacBook Pros are just brilliant! Honestly, they're such a joy to use. The speed, the screen, the battery life, I could go on. I paid the equivalent of about 90,000 baht (I am not in Thailand at present) for the new 16-inch MacBook Pro and I am delighted with it. If you've got the money, treat yourself!

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, kekalot said:

ahh now I understand why all those very positive drivel, this is the Apple forum and not the IT/Computers one, I haven't come on this thread manually, it was on the right side.

OPs question here is a bit like going to a concert and asking them if they like the band.

sorry to disrupt your echo chamber here, go on.

Good point.  Maybe I should post the same question in the IT forum and see if I get very different answers!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good point.  Maybe I should post the same question in the IT forum and see if I get very different answers!

how inconvenient or convenient the switch will be depends completely of how you use the computer.

if you are a mainstream user, or a professional user, doing mostly internet surfing, video watching, emailing, maybe some word processing, presentations, photo processing, etc. and if you like things to be simple, then you will be more comfortable with Apple doing the job for you... at a cost.

if you are an advanced PC user, a gamer, value-driven, then an Apple laptop is not the right choice.

beyond the cost of the product, another major drawback of Apple products is repairability, cost of repair and delay.

whatever you decide to buy, see that the system disk is raid 1 mirrored

• Like 1

Not sure how available they are here in Thailand but one could consider buying a used MacBook Pro. In particular I would suggest a Mid 2015 Retina MacBook Pro and install a new battery. Installing a new battery is not so bad if you know what you are doing. However, it should be pretty easy here to find a shop that can do it for you. In the US you can get one for around $500 with decent CPU, RAM and SSD. These are pretty powerful laptops for being 6 years old plus they run the latest version of macOS. Also they don't have the silly touch bar or a butterfly keyboard.

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe just go to the shop and ask for a demo, i'm guessing any of the guys in the apple shop in BKK (not istudio) have enough experience to blow you away.