Thinking of going for Apple for the first time..

brewsterbudgen

I have used both Windows computers and Apple.  I also have an Iphone but in the past used Android.  

Personally I prefer Windows and Android.  The windows have a lot more software and in my opinion less restrictive to use.  Try to link an Apple product to anything other than an Apple and it is a royal pain.  

If you are using graphics Apple products are unquestionably the best.  If you are using data particularly the Word/Excel/ Powerpoint etc programs stick with Windows.  

Though I have a Mac I never really got use to the change in commands to get things done.  It was like learning over again from DOS

• Confused 1

On 2/20/2022 at 4:47 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

"This is way better for the average consumer, also better for older people."

I'm sold!

Really interesting and thought-provoking comments.  Thanks everyone.  Looks like I'll be going for  a Macbook.

I use a Apple Mac for a desktop.

I've installed windows 10 on it. Apples make a special feature to install windows, you can partition the harddrive to be certain percentages of windows/apple

I can boot up through an installed apple program called bootcamp. It lets you choose to operate on Safari or on Windows.

I can use the computer as an Apple or as a Windows computer, best of both worlds IMHO.

There will be some new terms to get use to thanx to the pissing match between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates when they were both writing the native software for both platforms.

Microsoft copy-righted and trade-marked a lot of the simple command protocols you are used to.

In the Apple sphere you don't have short-cuts, you have aliases, you don't copy, you duplicate, etc, seems silly but you'll get use to it.

Apple products do have great form factors and are generally very high quality, thus you'll pay for that.

Also, you can partition the drive and still run Windows along side Apple OS as others have mentioned. 

You'll want to install the "Parallels" software which will allow to conveniently run both systems at the same time on your MacBook.

Another thing to consider is Macs come pre-loaded with all the software apps you'll probably need. So there's very little else you'll need to purchase.  

Edited by cobra
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 3:51 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I've never owned an Apple product in my life, but as my Dell laptop is getting on, I'm think of going over to a MacBook - most likely a MacBook Pro 14/16.  Is being 60+ to old to change?  Will I regret it?  What are the main differences or problems I can expect with switching from Windows?

Maybe you will like it, maybe not.

I know from some people who struggled with PCs, bought a mac, an were happy ever after.

I know one rich guy who always had the newest ThinkPad (Windows), he was at some Apple show and after that he was convinced Apple is the best. He bought one, the best available, and he told everybody that from now on he will use Apple and it's so much better. About half a year later he got rid of that Apple and used PCs again.

Personally I only used Windows and I like Windows. But I know lots of people who are happy with Apple. Fine with me. It seems the biggest problem is getting used to the other system. That's were some people struggle, because things don't work the same as they are used to.

I think the answer is: Try, if you can afford it and after you see some possible advantages for you.

I bought my first MacBook in 2013 and it is still going strong! However, about 6 months ago, it started slowing a little, and I was near an Apple store (in Illinois) so I looked at a new one and bought it, although I have only migrated my bookmarks over to it and am still using my 2013 model. Everything pairs seamlessly between iPhone and MacBook, and I am never leaving Apple products. Most users are not going back to Windows ever again.    

• Like 2

19 hours ago, recom273 said:

Maybe just go to the shop and ask for a demo, i'm guessing any of the guys in the apple shop in BKK (not istudio) have enough experience to blow you away.

Yes, I just did that.  The staff at the main Apple shop at Centralworld were (unsurprisingly!) very knowledgeable and helpful!  Man, it was busy in there too!  

90% sure I'm going to go for the Macbook Pro 14"

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 5:04 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

No they are not, and it is a generic word to obviously point out: windows is hell, it is just messy and complicates things for nothing, requires manual multi step actions from users to maintain or fix it when issues arise etc.

With apple there is nothing that you do aside of clicking 'OK' once with periodic MacOS updates, which just never cause an issue. This is way better for the average consumer, also better for older people.

Saves a lot of time too which is money, or the annoyance of having to help your parents or grandparents all the time when they once again messed up their computer. I never had to help any family member again once they switched to it (and they did way before me).

Unless you are using Windows 95 they are

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, Woof999 said:

Never too old to change (although I wouldn't personally).

If all you use a computer for is internet browsing, email and maybe the odd movie then a computer is a computer. If you don't mind paying more for the Apple brand that you would for the same "power" in a PC then by all means go Apple. Their newer processors are killing Intel / AMD at the moment.

Personally I can't stand Apple because of their ecosystem. They tell you what you can and cannot do with your computer. Others love them for the exact same reason.

Yeah that seems to be a pretty common complaint abut Apple.

Have   you ever tried bootcamp or whatever that division of the Mac is called where half of it becomes a 

window machine?

For the OP all I can say is I've heard of many Window's users switching to Apple happily and swearing by it but I've never heard of an Apple user switching to a Window machine and loving it.

To each his own.    I personally have zero interest in others migrating to Apple.    If too many become Window's users become  Apple users, I suspect the malware creators will begin to target Apple Devices.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The only users that this could be true for are those who only use web browsers and email.

Well, yeah, lol ????

I occasionally use Word and PowerPoint too

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2022 at 4:39 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Absolute nonsense. I used to work with a official partner of Lenovo and Dell laptops, specifically the business series. 

I changed to Apple around 6 years ago, I paid just around 30,000 baht for the Macbook Air back then and that one is still working fine today, even the battery is still lasting over 3 hours by now. I replaced mine for a newer one as its business and the old one is used for my (ex)wife.

With the Dell laptops you have to consider replacing the battery after just 1-2 years already, that alone cost 10-15K additional over 4-6 years. Not to mention Apple just always works without a problem, no more blue screens, long booting times, virus scanners and other nonsense. It just works.

When you only try it for 30 minutes you will hate the interface and how it works at first, it kind of gives you the false impression that it is only for wannabees and hipsters or video editors. But when you change to an actual Mac, and use it a few days or a week, you never wanna go back. It is like you start to use windows 95 again (while having 10) when switching back from mac to windows.

However for some use cases you do need Windows, in that case I would opt in for a Lenovo Thinkpad but you can also install Windows on your Apple laptop and choose one when starting up.

That is your opinion but you are biased. Apple overcharge and highly restrict what you as the owner can and cannot do.

On 2/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, daveAustin said:

Do yourself a favour a go for it op. Yes you can’t customise but the things just work and are safer out of the box. Shifting things over from pc is simple with the Mac wizard and Word docs can be opened and edited with Apple Pages etc. 

Exactly - Easier safer simpler less headache etc.

The transition learning period should last a couple of hours...

I would only use Windows when needed for software.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 4:10 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, I just did that.  The staff at the main Apple shop at Centralworld were (unsurprisingly!) very knowledgeable and helpful!  Man, it was busy in there too!  

90% sure I'm going to go for the Macbook Pro 14"

So how do you like it so far? 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So how do you like it so far? 

The sound and picture quality are great.

The touch pad is far more intuitive than on my Dell.

Finder is so easy to use and infinitely superior to the Windows equivalent.

The updates are quicker and more manageable.

The keyboard is dreamily smooth.

The system comes to life instantly, unlike my clunky Dell.

No fan noise.

So, all good.  I'm a convert.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:06 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

The sound and picture quality are great.

The touch pad is far more intuitive than on my Dell.

Finder is so easy to use and infinitely superior to the Windows equivalent.

The updates are quicker and more manageable.

The keyboard is dreamily smooth.

The system comes to life instantly, unlike my clunky Dell.

No fan noise.

So, all good.  I'm a convert.

Yeah I mean, I was a business line seller for Dell and Lenovo for years, and then I met my MacBook Air... Quit my job too.

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, grin said:

Not sure how available they are here in Thailand but one could consider buying a used MacBook Pro.

There is a shop in The Walk (shopping mall on Ratchapreuk Road) that sells second hand Macs (both laptops and iMacs).  The owner also repairs Apple anything.

I recently bought an old laptop (2008) so the wife can watch movies on the UDTV.  I just kept running into problems on an Windows machine particularly playing sub-titles. I couldn't solve the problem.  I was in The Walk for lunch one day and going to the loo I noticed his shop.  He had recently replaced the battery so that was good.  I ordered a 1TB sata internal SSD and bumped the memory from 4 GB to 16 GB.  I did the installation myself and took about 20 minutes.  Plenty of YT videos on the subject.  What a change to the original.  Total cost was about 10k baht.  It works perfectly for watching movies, I didn't need anything fancier.

He gives a three month guarantee on the entire machine.  He loads all sorts of software on it (most of which won't be used) including Windows 10.  Nothing over 20k baht.  He has quite a few 27" iMacs as well as laptops of varying vintage.  Speaks English badly so it helps if you have a Thai with you.

I have a 27" iMac (2012) and when he was doing a repair on it I had him install a 1TB 2.5" sata SSD which I sourced separately.

The only problem is that with older Macs Apple doesn't provide security and OS updates after about 5 years.  There is software available to get around that.  Search Mr. Macintosh on YT.  The latest version allows you to install Ventura on a unsupported Mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOqHMo5WSQ&ab_channel=Mr.Macintosh

If you are unsure about to get a Mac due to the price of new models this might appeal to you.

Edited by lujanit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lujanit said:

The only problem is that with older Macs Apple doesn't provide security and OS updates after about 5 years. 

Virtually everything you posted was spot on apart from that statement, most Macs get OS updates for about 7 years or in the region of 7~8 versions and apple has provided security updates for older versions of the OS with reasonable regularity when serious vulnerabilities have been identified.

FWIW Your iMac had 8 years of updates spanning 7 OS versions

On 2/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, Woof999 said:

Personally I can't stand Apple because of their ecosystem. They tell you what you can and cannot do with your computer. Others love them for the exact same reason.

I used to agree with you, but I tried a Mac after learning how to convert a home built computer to run Apple's Mac OS.  I'm not a typical user.  I was a software engineer in a previous life so lots of experience with many different computer systems.  Switching to MacOS was not at all difficult for me.

Apple has never prevented me from doing what I needed to get done on my computer nor have they made it require jumping through hoops.  Apple's integration of their apps is superb.  To match Apple's  scripting capabilities would require a 3rd party app on Windows.  MacOS includes so many features that I find useful that were lacking in the last Windows version I used (Win7).

However, Apple's security for downloaded programs is more restrictive than what I remember from Windows.  If you download a program from an unknown source, you simple have to acknowledge and accept there may be some risk involved.  After you do that, you can run it with no further interruption.

I'm not a gamer (only chess and backgammon) so I don't miss the greater selection available on Windows.

The integration between iPhone and MacOS was really convenient for my last working stint.  During each day, the notes and results I spoke into my phone were converted to text and synchronized with my desktop via iCloud.  No extra software needed to be purchased or installed.

For a very large majority of users, it doesn't matter much whether you choose Windows or MacOS.  Everyday tasks will work well and smoothly on either platform.

I do feel that I have far fewer problems on MacOS..... on Windows 7 and earlier, I would have to reboot quite frequently to recover from some problem.  Now, I reboot almost never.... mostly only for software updates that require it.

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Dells are rubbish.

I have bought several used Dell desktops that came off lease.  I've been very impressed with their quality and performance.  The price made them excellent value.  I never buy laptops...too many compromises are involved in their design.

Edited by gamb00ler

14 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Phones are computers.

Yeah

And phones are phones too.

I don't get your point.

I am saying people pay more just because Apple is a luxury brand, not because their iPhone can do anything an Android can't.

46 minutes ago, 2009 said:

am saying people pay more just because Apple is a luxury brand, not because their iPhone can do anything an Android can't.

That is your theory. However that is not true, apart from the point that Apple does not make low quality cheap phones.

iPhones can certainly do a lot of things that that Android phones can not. The software under

iOS,

Photos, 
FaceTime, 
Contacts, 
Home, 
Reminders, 
Find My, 
Shortcuts, 
GarageBand, 
iMovie, 
Keynote, 
Numbers, 
Pages.

iCloud

7 years of system updates

can not run on Android to mention just a few, all of those are either unique to Apple or sync with other Apple devices.

Certainly Android has some of these and some of the Android versions maybe quite capable however the integration of the ecosystem with other devices does not exist and seamlessly integration with different Apple products doesn’t exist.

if you only look at an Android phone and an Apple phone in isolation the Apple advantage is less clear, but it is still there if you only use a small subset of the available software and have no other tech again the advantages becomes less obvious.

So on a ROI basis Apple is the winner

gamb00ler - "However, Apple's security for downloaded programs is more restrictive than what I remember from Windows.  If you download a program from an unknown source, you simple have to acknowledge and accept there may be some risk involved.  After you do that, you can run it with no further interruption."

I was going to ask if Apple computers allow apps which are not thru the Apple Store, but you have answered that already - that anything can be downloaded.

It's always been my understanding that Apple phones do not allow any apps other than thru the Apple version of Play Store.

Is that correct?