Are you happy living alone ?

georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I don't think about it as I am not sick and I get my hugs when I want them.

Maybe when I am older and feeble I will feel differently.  I do have friends mostly golf buddies and some female friends.  But, the question was living alone currently at this time which I am very happy to be doing.

Those female friends - I want photos.

37 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

No need to live alone. There are plenty of lovely looking, middle age, Thai ladies out there looking for an old farang to look after. Just sign the marriage papers so they get your possessions when you pass on. You can't take it with you. ????????

It's not necessary to sign marriage papers to make a Thai will.

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

No need to live alone. There are plenty of lovely looking, middle age, Thai ladies out there looking for an old farang to look after. Just sign the marriage papers so they get your possessions when you pass on. You can't take it with you. ????????

They might take it sooner best hide half

• Haha 2

I could live alone, but not in Thailand. So if I had to, I'd go back to France where I could have mates to share the joys of mountaineering, hiking, skiing and paragliding. I'd come to Thailand once or twice a year to enjoy the Scuba diving and the ladies. But the latter I did once, and met the lovely lady with whom I am raising now the two girls I am so proud of.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 2

I'm coming to the end of two months apart from my wife. We talk everyday for a little bit, but mostly I live as if she doesn't exist. I drift through the day, I'm pretty OK. I'd be happy to fill several thousand days just like the one I just had.

If there were no her, I would miss the joy she brings, but it's very her-specific. It would take a lot for me to re-engage into another romantic relationship. I am more gun-shy then the 4 marriage guy even tho I am one shy. 

I have often thought about living in Thailand as a widower or single guy as a place where I would be super-happy NOT to be tempted into a relationship, but have plenty of cheerful female energy around me to dip in and out of.

The idea of a financially dependent spouse, a possibly manipulative spouse, or a cultural mismatch spouse seems too exhausting to even think about. A way younger spouse also sounds like way too much work to me. 

I'd get an advanced degree in Asian Studies to fill my time and enjoy politely turning away the massive female interest that this forum assures me is my unwanted due.

I admit I'd be a little bummed if said female angsty lust didn't materialize as advertised, but not as bummed as if I were stuck in a bad fit, intractable situation.

For me, one way or another, these are my chill years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Then its your own choice being alone as you don't really want to do anything about it only if it suits you.

I prefer being being alone, but with friends I can visit occasionally. 

I'd be happier if I had friends that I could live with, but separately, as I used to do back in the 80s. Best of both worlds, when I lived in a sleep out on friend's property.

16 hours ago, elena edwards said:

I've lived alone in Chiang Mai's Sansai district since my husband died six years ago from complications of alcoholism. Lived in the same small Sannameng moo baan since arriving in 2006 - but now its general ambience has changed totally as the new arrivals are all relatively wealthy and don't want to know about a resident who's living on far less than are they. Additionally, a former next-door neighbour who I believed was a genuine supportive friend is now mostly unapproachable. I can't remember the last time I had a meaningful conversation or even a brief 'hello, goodbye'.

Several years ago I tried to get back to the CM Expat Club - have been a member since I arrived in CM, but found it a depressing experience as I was simply ignored. Don't know what to do next - the only answer seems to be to sell my property and relocate to Chiang Rai or maybe leave Thailand altogether. Sad, so much wasted time at this late period in my life.

It saddened me to read how your life has turned since the death of your husband while living in Sannameng . 

After reading your post a few times I am not sure how you know that your neighbours are ignoring you because of a wealth divide . I think that is more in your imagination than reality .

Your immediate neighbour now ignoring you is not easy to contend with . Why not make an extra effort to say hello . Nothing much to loose out of that .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I prefer being being alone, but with friends I can visit occasionally. 

I'd be happier if I had friends that I could live with, but separately, as I used to do back in the 80s. Best of both worlds, when I lived in a sleep out on friend's property.

I could never do that would drive me mad not enough privacy. But then again we are all different.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, elena edwards said:

I've lived alone in Chiang Mai's Sansai district since my husband died six years ago from complications of alcoholism. Lived in the same small Sannameng moo baan since arriving in 2006 - but now its general ambience has changed totally as the new arrivals are all relatively wealthy and don't want to know about a resident who's living on far less than are they. Additionally, a former next-door neighbour who I believed was a genuine supportive friend is now mostly unapproachable. I can't remember the last time I had a meaningful conversation or even a brief 'hello, goodbye'.

Several years ago I tried to get back to the CM Expat Club - have been a member since I arrived in CM, but found it a depressing experience as I was simply ignored. Don't know what to do next - the only answer seems to be to sell my property and relocate to Chiang Rai or maybe leave Thailand altogether. Sad, so much wasted time at this late period in my life.

Hi elena. I lived in Choeng Mon village on Koh Samui and there were many other single, friendly women there. If I was not happy where I am I’d up and move back home or elsewhere. That’s just me though. Life is too short to not like your homebase.????

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Women are never free,

Even the pool boy has to bang much older women, then when he reaches 40 is too poor to attract a woman. The most 'free' any of us can hope for is the occasional 'drunk club slut bang', but if you meet her again it'll cost you. This is true for women anywhere in the world ....... essentially they're all looking for a free house/food/labour, in exchange for limited sex.

Sadly, I never learned that lesson till too late.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sadly, I never learned that lesson till too late.

When you understand Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Paul McCartney, Robin Williams, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos have also been paying big time for sex, you begin to understand it's all stacked against us 'normal guys'.

• Thanks 2

Young men who choose to live alone and not have families tend to do it for selfish reasons, [free to play golf whenever] which is fine, but the unseen price is that many can get lonely to the point of social awkwardness and become weird... they become grumpy and spoiled to their own ways... 

living w/others requires some degree of compromise which can become more difficult the longer you have lived alone... 

I lived as a married man as well as a single man for years at the time. So I know "both worlds".

While living in Pattaya, I foud the ideal solution for me: Every day "my particular lady" visited me between 2 and 3 PM. Daily, I showed her my stamp-collection (what else)? During the other 22 hours, I could do (or not do) whatever I wanted. Perfect for me.

Another advantage: While basically "living alone", those daily visits would prevent rotting me away undiscovered in a hotel room should a "sudden-death" have been my destiny.

Wait, there is more: Of course it's a "rental-situation". But the ladies usually are not that busy in the early afternoons. By offering a specific lady a "regular-2 hour job" every day is a good way to go. It works in both ways: The "long term financial discount" is truly remarkable, while at the same time, a "ground-floor-early-afternoon" ironclad income is welcome on the other side.

Warning: Such a constellation may lead to too much routine over time, possibly disrupting the 2/22 hour cycle. The lady aiming to lenghten her daily stay, for example.

At such a point a decision will have to be made: Let the relationship grow or look for another lady that is interested to look at your "early afternoon stamp collection" daily.

All this as an alternative to hectic daily "mongering" or signing some papers that may not be to the advantage of a Farang.
As said , this as an alternative live style while in Thailand. As this concept will not work in Europe, perhaps a good reason for some Farangs to delay their "Exit-Plans" from Thailand.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Fancy moving to a land of abundant, gorgeous, friendly ladies... just to be stuck with one of them  ????‍♂️  Amazing.

I remember 20+ years ago there was a girl at a body massage shop I liked. I always turned up at 18:00 and waited for her to arrive so I was her first customer. One time I couldn't show up early and went in a few hours later. I asked for her and the guy-in-charge said she already had a customer and then pointed to a white board where there were 3 Thai names already on her waiting list.

Now there were plenty of other perfectly nice girls sitting there on their perfectly nice rear-ends waiting for a trick while this girl went up and down the stairs multiple times.

So abundant, maybe. But don't tell me they are all the same. 

9 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I remember 20+ years ago there was a girl at a body massage shop I liked. I always turned up at 18:00 and waited for her to arrive so I was her first customer. One time I couldn't show up early and went in a few hours later. I asked for her and the guy-in-charge said she already had a customer and then pointed to a white board where there were 3 Thai names already on her waiting list.

Now there were plenty of other perfectly nice girls sitting there on their perfectly nice rear-ends waiting for a trick while this girl went up and down the stairs multiple times.

So abundant, maybe. But don't tell me they are all the same. 

Indeed. I've seen 2 girls almost identical in every aspect sitting side by side, but one exuded something the other didn't that made her more appealing. I've always believed that real beauty starts from the inside.