Are you happy living alone ?

georgegeorgia

just wondering who lives alone here in Asia wherever you are.

I was looking at my retirement thinking to buy a 1 bedroom rather than a studio if i decide to retire to pattaya or the phillipines just in case  I want someone to live with me .

So my questions to expats especially in places like Pattaya ,phuket ,cambodia ,phillipines who live in studios by themselves are you comfortable being alone.

I never forget meeting a guy many years ago at the canterbury tales cafe in pattaya who told me he lived in serviced apartments just in case he died so they could find him and he had company everyday talking to the housemaids and reception staff

so my question is , to mainly retired expats who live alone is ,are you never lonely that you need someone to live in with you ?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I usually have company for an hour or 2 two several times a week.  Other then that, I am much happier living alone.   Being married for many years previously, I sure enjoy the freedom to do what I want, when I want.  Eat, watch TV and sleep without any disturbance.

But, it does depend I also know people who always need someone around.  

Who is there for you though to really care if you get sick or need hugs?

6 minutes ago, elena edwards said:

I've lived alone in Chiang Mai's Sansai district since my husband died six years ago from complications of alcoholism. Lived in the same small Sannameng moo baan since arriving in 2006 - but now its general ambience has changed totally as the new arrivals are all relatively wealthy and don't want to know about a resident who's living on far less than are they. Additionally, a former next-door neighbour who I believed was a genuine supportive friend is now mostly unapproachable. I can't remember the last time I had a meaningful conversation or even a brief 'hello, goodbye'.

Several years ago I tried to get back to the CM Expat Club - have been a member since I arrived in CM, but found it a depressing experience as I was simply ignored. Don't know what to do next - the only answer seems to be to sell my property and relocate to Chiang Rai or maybe leave Thailand altogether. Sad, so much wasted time at this late period in my life.

maybe you need to have a flatmate or find a new companion ,find friends etc instead of being alone , just someone there to talk to occasionaly etc.

thats why i started this topic because many farang retire to places like pattaya etc living in a studio room and eventually after the party has wore off they get "lonely" by themselves ,hiring working girls is not the same 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

maybe you need to have a flatmate or find a new companion ,find friends etc instead of being alone , just someone there to talk to occasionaly etc.

thats why i started this topic because many farang retire to places like pattaya etc living in a studio room and eventually after the party has wore off they get "lonely" by themselves ,hiring working girls is not the same 

Women visitors are great til money runs out.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

When it gets to the point, or just before, that I literally can't take care of myself, then I'll move myself on to the next dimension.  Have no plans of being a burden to myself, or anyone else.

I did just that I moved back to OZ where I can ask for help from the government and I have a good friend ( ex wife) living nearby who helped me when I had a broken ankle and could not walk for a few months. It would be very hard if you are alone in Thailand, remember the story of the Swiss lady who is in trouble now and can't pay for here upkeep and helper.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived in an hotel, and but for the staff I might never have spoken to anyone except restaurant and check out staff. I had no problem living alone.

In NZ it's now possible to never speak to another human being at all. Machines do everything humans used to- self check out in supermarkets, cash machines in banks and internet banking, rent by auto payment, and of course my pension direct deposited to my bank account. I only need see the Dr every 180 days, and that's only 10 minutes to take my BP and write a prescription.

IMO it's going to end badly for humanity to remove so much human contact from our lives.

Solution is easy make friends if you need human contact. Join a club whatever. Being alone is a choice.

4 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I did just that I moved back to OZ where I can ask for help from the government and I have a good friend ( ex wife) living nearby who helped me when I had a broken ankle and could not walk for a few months. It would be very hard if you are alone in Thailand, remember the story of the Swiss lady who is in trouble now and can't pay for here upkeep and helper.

Only if you have good friends willing to help. If have money easier to pay for help in LOS than in a western country where home help costs large.

In NZ they don't even have enough hospital staff, so how could they provide help in one's home?

6 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Oz is boring though. Plus massages are expensive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Being alone is a choice and nothing wrong with that choice. I can live alone, i can live with a GF or wife. All those things have advantages and disadvantages. Not sure why you ask this question as the answer is different for everyone. 

Some people can't live alone others thrive alone. Its pointless to ask as the only one you should ask this question is yourself. 

I hate it. Liked it in my 20s for 6 months. Most expensive. More chores. Of course some people hard to live with.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

so my question is , to mainly retired expats who live alone is ,are you never lonely that you need someone to live in with you ?

Though I am married , I'd be more than OK to live on my own if it came to it. I think growing up as an only child you get used to your own company. I struggle more being married with family than being on my own !