Transport Ministry Waives M-FLOW Fines until March 31

snoop1130

S__32505876-1024x576.jpg-1-768x432.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 24 (TNA) – The transport minister waives fines on the motorists who do not pay tolls after using the new toll collection system, M-Flow, until March 31.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said the M-Flow toll collection system started on Inter-City Motorway 9 on Feb 15 but many motorists did not know how to use it and were unaware of its 10-fold fine for failure to pay tolls.

Amid the heavy criticisms that the post-paid M-Flow system imposed huge fines, the minister said he ordered the Highways Department to suspend the fine from today (Feb 24) until March 31 for the motorists who did not subscribe to the M-Flow system but used its tollgates.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-890060

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright TNA 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said the M-Flow toll collection system started on Inter-City Motorway 9 on Feb 15 but many motorists did not know how to use it and were unaware of its 10-fold fine for failure to pay tolls

They used it, but didn't know how to use it, got a fine and didn't pay it?

Sounds very Thai.

Can someone explain exactly how this works?

My understanding is either you have M-Flow or you have Easy Pass (or the other one) - but no just pay as many do normally?

So you register and then what - pay online in some way afterwards?

Even with the best of intentions I just don't see this working here for many reasons not least forgetfulness........

2 minutes ago, topt said:

Can someone explain exactly how this works?

My understanding is either you have M-Flow or you have Easy Pass (or the other one) - but no just pay as many do normally?

So you register and then what - pay online in some way afterwards?

Even with the best of intentions I just don't see this working here for many reasons not least forgetfulness........

Yes, that's the idea. You pay afterwards, and I had said from the very first day that this won't work out well. The arrears will be up to the moon. It's like comparing a debit card to a credit card with no limit. 

• Like 1

Typical Thai.  Here is a law; if you break it we might prosecute you unless it's too onerous.  It works with speedsters; helmets on motor bikes; ten passengers in a pick-up; wild dogs; elections; crop burning ....

Edited by mikebell
missing words

On 2/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, JonnyF said:

So you can just use M Flow lanes without buying a card until the end of March?

That's good to know, I'd been paying cash at the tolls. I'll get in the M Flow lane next time.

Can you confirm please that they still have the normal pay cash toll booths as well, as I asked, but no-one confirmed either way?

7 minutes ago, topt said:

Can you confirm please that they still have the normal pay cash toll booths as well, as I asked, but no-one confirmed either way?

Yeah, they did on 20th February when I last went on Highway 9. My friend said there were massive queues to pay with cash at 7pm but I went through at 10pm and there was no queue at all, just pay 30 Baht at the cash booth toll same as before.

I can't see them removing the cash tolls any time soon. It would be chaos.

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah, they did on 20th February when I last went on Highway 9. My friend said there were massive queues to pay with cash at 7pm but I went through at 10pm and there was no queue at all, just pay 30 Baht at the cash booth toll same as before.

I can't see them removing the cash tolls any time soon. It would be chaos.

Yes that was my thinking but the article and the TV news I saw made it look like that wasn't an option. The gf spent ages trying to register as she will be using it soon but without final success.....

Thanks for the confirmation.