Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

59 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Sorry my mistake, 4,5 billion people represented by their 35 countries who had a silent vote + 5 countries who voted no!. Stand corrected.

Ok, although that's also not correct, a silent vote is a specific form of voting and that is not what happened at all.

The votes cast were:

141 for the Resolution

5 including Russia against the resolution

35 abstained (did not vote either way ie neutral)

26 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Syria were not backward in coming forward with their response.  .

Yes but you were talking about Turkey.....lol

Syria and North Korea were not backward in their response, I agree.....

• Like 1

Weather report is not in favor of Ukraine.

Cold front moving in from Siberia could mean the various landscapes freeze over, so Russia can progress faster on land if they choose to deploy more material.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Virt said:

Cold front moving in from Siberia could mean the various landscapes freeze over, so Russia can progress faster on land if they choose to deploy more material.

I thought the Russians were using the road system and not travelling cross country?

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Please enlighten me as to Vlad's reason for bombing civilian targets then? ????

Please enlighten me as to Ukraine military's reason for bombing the 30% of Russian speaking civilian Ukrainians living in Donetsk and other towns as reported by Anne-Laure Bonnel then.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, JetsetBkk said:

Please enlighten me as to Ukraine military's reason for bombing the 30% of Russian speaking civilian Ukrainians living in Donetsk and other towns as reported by Anne-Laure Bonnel then.  

Defense against artillery fire from Russian backed separatists. We know they were backed by Russia because they shot down a civilian airliner with Russian missiles which were trucked across the border.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Defense against artillery fire from Russian backed separatists. We know they were backed by Russia because they shot down a civilian airliner with Russian missiles which were trucked across the border.

I'm talking about the last 8 years - not the last 2 weeks.

5 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I'm talking about the last 8 years - not the last 2 weeks.

so am I.

“The downing of MH17 with a Buk missile brutally ended the lives of all 298 people on board. Incredibly deep and irreversible suffering has been caused to the next of kin,” Ridderbeks told the court.

Prosecutors accuse Russians Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinsky and Igor Pulatov, as well as Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko, who were separatist rebels fighting Ukrainian government forces in 2014, of forming a team that aimed to bring down Ukrainian planes using a missile system trucked in from a Russian military base.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/22/dutch-prosecutors-demand-life-sentences-in-mh17-downing

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I thought the Russians were using the road system and not travelling cross country?

You don't think that could change fast, if they see an opportunity to use both?

NEW
Posted at 20:4820:48

Mariupol authorities: Russian shelling making evacuation impossible

The Mariupol City Council, which announced a ceasefire and fresh evacuation attempt this morning, has now confirmed that the plans have been aborted.

It says Russian shelling has made the safe evacuation of civilians impossible.

The city is now in its fifth day with no water, no power, no sanitation, and food and water are fast running out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60635927

There's also a harrowing video in those live updates of civilians, women and children trying to flee while being shelled.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
NEW
Posted at 20:4820:48

Mariupol authorities: Russian shelling making evacuation impossible

The Mariupol City Council, which announced a ceasefire and fresh evacuation attempt this morning, has now confirmed that the plans have been aborted.

It says Russian shelling has made the safe evacuation of civilians impossible.

The city is now in its fifth day with no water, no power, no sanitation, and food and water are fast running out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60635927

There's also a harrowing video in those live updates of civilians, women and children trying to flee while being shelled.

Yeah just saw those videos.

Can't imagine what it must be like to flee under such circumstances.

Two days where the ceasefire has been broken, so it's not easy for civilians to get away ???? 

One encouraging video is the interview with the young couple where they say we shouldn't fear Putin.

Hopefully good will win as he say.

• Like 1

More also from NYtimes. I'm changing my view and something needs to be done about this, Nato needs to step up, whats going on now is clear slaughter of civilians instigated by Putin

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES: Today I witnessed Russian troops deliberately targeting civilians fleeing for their lives from the village of Irpin. At least three members of a family of four were killed in front of me.

As the mortars got closer to the stream of civilians, people ran, pulling children, trying to find a safe spot. But there was nothing to hide behind. A shell landed in the street, sending up a cloud of concrete dust and leaving one family — a mother, a father, a teenage son and a daughter who appeared about 8 years old — sprawled on the ground.

Soldiers rushed to help, but the woman and children were dead. The father still had a pulse but was unconscious and severely wounded.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/06/world/ukraine-russia#russian-forces-fire-on-evacuees-leaving-3-people-dead-outside-kyiv

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, bojo said:

I find it hard to comprehend that it's happenning again on our watch.......................

I do too. What can we do? Invade Russia? How about just getting to the root of the problem, as Lindsay Graham suggested? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Virt said:

I’ll equipped, poorly trained, underfed miserable conscripts freezing their nuts off.

Is that the plan?

The saddest part of all of this is that when we have intervened it was in nations with a tribal culture and no real solid government to take over after we vanquished the enemy. Here we have a modern population, a solid , unified government and we can do nothing at all. Sickening. Years of enabling Putin by ignoring his human rights abuses, murdering of dissidents, etc have led to this. Take note....that @#$$%$ in Saudi Arabia ought to be cut off now and other countries with poor human rights records need to be sancioned to the hilt, no more tolerance just because it's convenient for our economic juggernaughts to make more money. As an American, can't we sacrifice a bit of our 'economic' freedom for the lives of other free peoples ?

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ll equipped, poorly trained, underfed miserable conscripts freezing their nuts off.

Is that the plan?

I hear ya and i hope Russia continue to mess up their missions.

Hopefully all those Russians sitting in the long column close to Kyiv will surrender if they really has run out of fuel, and now have to sit in -15 Celsius at daytime.

They are now in their second week and supplies surely has to run out soon.

As far as I understand a column like that usually have food for few weeks and that's it.

Just saying the weather could be an issue.

The civilians that are trying to flee through terrain or the ones trapped in the other surrounded cities without water, food or ability to heat up their places due to electricity and energy cut off, will also have a hard time.

• Like 1

Good to see the main hacking group Anonymous with nearly 8 million followers did their bit to bring the truth to the people of Russia

Video is contained in the tweet.

The hacking collective #Anonymous hacked into the Russian streaming services Wink and Ivi (like Netflix) and live TV channels Russia 24, Channel One, Moscow 24 to broadcast war footage from Ukraine [today]

https://twitter.com/YourAnonNews/status/1500613013510008836

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ok, although that's also not correct, a silent vote is a specific form of voting and that is not what happened at all.

The votes cast were:

141 for the Resolution

5 including Russia against the resolution

35 abstained (did not vote either way ie neutral)

A silent vote is from those countries who still want to be in business with Russia, keep their relations,  and do not want to harm their future relations with russia. Those countries represent 4,5 billion people. That says something! 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1