Concerns About Krungthai Bank

On 2/25/2022 at 11:34 AM, userabcd said:

Would say you have no need to worry. If you want 1000 baht notes then use another atm or withdraw notes in a branch.

It is a fine upstanding bank with a long history in ethical; and sustainable banking.

Absolutely, but your comment doesn't make for an unwarranted, fearmongering OP!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 2/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, EricTh said:

It's easy to solve the problem, just transfer online from Krungthai to SCB and then withdraw 1000 bank notes from SCB ATM.

It's even easier to just use the KTB card to withdraw from an SCB ATM, no need for online interbank transfers!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 2/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, EricTh said:

What are the majority customer profile for each bank?

Krungthai Bank - government

Bangkok Bank  - foreigners

SCB - ?

Krungsri - ?

That's a serious assertion?    You really think that BBL has more foreign-owned accounts than Thai-owned accounts?  Good grief.

I'd suggest that it's glaringly obvious that the majority of BBL customers will be Thais, the majority of SCB customers will be Thais and that the majority of Krungsri customers will be Thais!   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, SeaMike01 said:

(...) their ATM again gave me 15k in 500 baht notes (...)

If this were an indicator of Krungthai Bank being in trouble, then Kasikorn Bank must be close to bankruptcy... ????

Went the other day to their ATM in a major mall. Was informed that 'the maximum sum one could withdraw was 3,000 baht, but only in 100s'. Okay, I thought, less than I wanted to take out, but I went through the process, just to be notified at the end that 'not enough banknotes for 3,000 baht were available anymore', so they must have forgotten to refill it. Got my money from a nearby Bangkok Bank ATM instead.  

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's a serious assertion?    You really think that BBL has more foreign-owned accounts than Thai-owned accounts?  Good grief.

I'd suggest that it's glaringly obvious that the majority of BBL customers will be Thais, the majority of SCB customers will be Thais and that the majority of Krungsri customers will be Thais!   

In my many years in Thailand, the most number of farangs customers I've seen are in Bangkok Bank.

I've seen very few farangs in SCB or KrungThai.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The B699 is an annual (maybe biennial) charge, not a once-a-decade charge.

The original statement goes like this 699baht for 10 years. There was no 'annually' word there.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

The original statement goes like this 699baht for 10 years. There was no 'annually' word there.

Perhaps read again.  It is confusing but the annual word was used.

I used to use Krungtai bank... a few years ago.

On renewal of my ATM card the cheapest option was an annual renewal fee of 699 baht for a

[10 year card] that adds up to a huge profit for the bank.

SCB 200 baht per year for the same service.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cyril sneer said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

KTB is still majority government-owned.   

it's going 100% private

KTB is  government-owned, it is not private and there have been no announcements that it is about to lose it's State Owned Enterprise status to be "100% private".   You got anything to back up your assertion that debunks the Bank of Thailand's confirmation (reported November 2020) that it is a SOE with no plans for that to change?

Maybe it will be in the future, who knows, but my comments relate to current reality.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

KTB is  government-owned, it is not private and there have been no announcements that it is about to lose it's State Owned Enterprise status to be "100% private".   You got anything to back up your assertion that debunks the Bank of Thailand's confirmation (reported November 2020) that it is a SOE with no plans for that to change?

Maybe it will be in the future, who knows, but my comments relate to current reality.

it's currently in transition to go private

i'll ask the GF for some proof if it'll make you happy

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

it's currently in transition to go private

i'll ask the GF for some proof if it'll make you happy

"...it's currently in transition to go private".

Really?   I doubt that she'd be able to supply any proof of that and I'd believe The Bank of Thailand's confirmation over her anonymous thoughts any day.   

I'd wonder why a bank that is currently a publicly listed company, majority-owned by the government, would be "going private", to use your words? 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...it's currently in transition to go private".

Really?   I doubt that she'd be able to supply any proof of that and I'd believe The Bank of Thailand's confirmation over her anonymous thoughts any day.   

I'd wonder why a bank that is currently a publicly listed company, majority-owned by the government, would be "going private", to use your words? 

i'll be sure to bump this in a few months when its announced on the news

ask any KTB worker if you ever go in? or call up their HR department

you're laughing at me without knowing the facts, tosser