House Book

Ok I'm lost before I start having bought a house in Hua Hin well my Mrs has of course she has the idea that putting my name on the house book is easy that was until a trip to the local ampur a miserable woman thrust a bit of paper in my mrs hand and said come back when you have completed steps 1-7 all in Thai.

She has been on google for two hours and come up with step 1 you have to get your passport translated why? no idea and you have to go to the british consulate in bangkok? why! to do it .

Has anyone done or got any up to date knowledge or step through of what any of these requirements are ???? 

I am currently on step 1.......had to go to the UK consulate/embassy(?) in BKK to get my passport certified as being my passport....mental.

Then got an agent on soi 13 to translate the passport AND get the MFA to validate the translation.

Just waiting for an official address now before attempting step 2 (no idea what that is), but I understand the staff at Amphurs do not like doing this kind of work and will make things difficult.

• Like 1

As a westerner you cannot have your name in the Blue Tabien Baan (blue house book) which is for Thai’s only. 

You have been given the list of requirements to apply for a Yellow Tabien Baan (Yellow House Book) which many foreigners have. 

The first requirement is to obtain the following: 

1) MFA Approved translation of a certified copy of your Passport...   this involves 3 steps: 

- Obtain an Embassy certified copy of your Passport.

- Get the Certified Copy of your Passport Translated in Thai.

- Get the Translation of the Translation of your Passport approved by the MFA. 

There are translation services available near Ploernchit BTS which will do the process for you (all you need to do is obtain the Embassy certified copy of your passport). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, some don’t - its a lot of boring longwinded bureaucratic paperwork for the Amphur officer, after going through the process I understand why they are reluctant to do this until they have no choice. 

Once the MFA approved translation of the Certified copy of your passport is in hand you will also need

- Owner 

- Owners Blue Tabien baan

- Owners ID

- A Thai Witness (they said 2 but they were fine with my Mother in Law).

The Yellow Book threads outline some of this but ultimately each Amphur office has their own interpretation of the rules.

After you have received your Yellow Book (on the day of submission of all the paperwork - which takes about 1.5 hours) - You can also get your Pink ID Card (for about 40 Baht) - this takes an additional 15mins and can be handy to have.

Cheers....thanks for that.

Looks like we will get an address any day now!!!

4 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Thanks for the prompt replies have you got to go to British consulate in person? /appointment? this all sounds like torture already???? 

Yep, has to be you.......empty when I got there....nice place, dealt with within 15 minutes or so (including all the security).......if there is a problem it will be getting an appointment......didn't seem to be many available when I tried????

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Thanks for the prompt replies have you got to go to British consulate in person? /appointment? this all sounds like torture already???? 

I gave up before i wasted time on it, they make it ridiculously difficult in Pattaya so you go to an agent and pay 6k, maybe same Hua Hin. Several recent threads on it, search "yellow book"

• Like 1

OP, Your name in yellow book and pink ID is in Thai, hence the translation of passport,  if you are married, you already have an MFA official translation of your name. That should be enough for step 1.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Does anybody know how to get access to real estate comps like we have in US?  I mean, is there an agency/website/company that can provide recent home/townhouse sale prices in a Bangkok district?

On 2/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I gave up before i wasted time on it, they make it ridiculously difficult in Pattaya so you go to an agent and pay 6k, maybe same Hua Hin. Several recent threads on it, search "yellow book"

Why would anyone pay that much for a housebook?

I can only think of 2 uses I had for my one. One was to save me getting a residence letter from Immigration(which is free) for renewing my Driver's licence every 5 years. 

Another was for getting Thai citizenship. 

On 2/28/2022 at 6:50 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, some don’t - its a lot of boring longwinded bureaucratic paperwork for the Amphur officer, after going through the process I understand why they are reluctant to do this until they have no choice. 

Once the MFA approved translation of the Certified copy of your passport is in hand you will also need

- Owner 

- Owners Blue Tabien baan

- Owners ID

- A Thai Witness (they said 2 but they were fine with my Mother in Law).

The Yellow Book threads outline some of this but ultimately each Amphur office has their own interpretation of the rules.

After you have received your Yellow Book (on the day of submission of all the paperwork - which takes about 1.5 hours) - You can also get your Pink ID Card (for about 40 Baht) - this takes an additional 15mins and can be handy to have.

This is similar to my application.

Was very straight forward, we had no issue with the Amphur. One witness(real estate agent as it was during work time) and I got the yellow book &  pink card at the same time. Whole operation was around an hour. Asked my wife questions, I don't believe he asked me anything. Was actually with the main guy for probably 5-10 mins. 

At the time I had a visa for doing consultancy work for 3 months, which I renewed - no one year work permit, retirement or marriage visa etc. I was actually married to a Thai.

Mine was in Sathon(BKK) - Yannawa - behind the large Tesco. 

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why would anyone pay that much for a housebook?

I can only think of 2 uses I had for my one. One was to save me getting a residence letter from Immigration(which is free) for renewing my Driver's licence every 5 years. 

Another was for getting Thai citizenship. 

6k is way too greedy, but if someones land and property tax is high maybe it will save money eventually

On 2/28/2022 at 6:39 PM, Peterw42 said:

OP, Your name in yellow book and pink ID is in Thai, hence the translation of passport,  if you are married, you already have an MFA official translation of your name. That should be enough for step 1.

what document would that be

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

what document would that be

Depending on the ampher where you got married, 2-3 MFA translated documents are required, freedom to marry affidavit, passport etc.

The process to get married involves an official MFA translation of your name. In theory, your name (in Thai) on marriage certificate, came from the translation.

• Like 1