Thai Pass RT-PCR Test within 72 hours - the test or date of certification?

drmal

Hi,

I am confused about the date of PCR test. From surveying around, I found about the date of certification will be anywhere from 24 - 72 hours after the test, depending on the lab and situation.

I'll be arriving on Monday. The 72-hour requirement mentioned in the Thailand Pass means the date of actual examination done should be within 72 hours of arrival or the certification date should be within 72-hours?

Assuming the certification date is within 72-hours of arrival (let's say I got the certificate on Friday or Saturday), can the test be done before before 72-hours?

Ideally I would like to do the test on Friday, and get the results on Saturday, but I read many untoward incidents where people were not able to receive the results on time and were consequentially unable to fly.

And I'm worried, if the test is done on Friday, and if I'm not able to get the results on Saturday, the next day is Sunday, and I doubt the labs will be open to release the certification.

Edited by drmal

I don't think that's correct. It says it's from when the results are issued, not when the test is taken. The results/certificate must be issued 72 hours before departure (not arrival). There is no specific time frame given for when the test should be taken. 

" a negative RT-PCR test result (COVID-19 not detected) issued no more than 72 hours before travelling to Thailand"
https://www.tatnews.org/entry-thailand-frequently-asked-questions/

"Applicant is also required to have an RT-PCR test result that is issued within 72 hours before departure"
https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/thailand-pass-faqs-2 

The discussion surrounding the semantics of the word ‘issued’ in text translated from Thai has been well discussed and debated for the past 18 months. 

Ultimately, I wouldn’t rely on ‘issued’... I would instead rely on the time the test was taken. 

Why ?.... I could have taken a test last week, but had the result issued today and still be good to fly, this is obviously wrong. 

Also, it takes one overzealous jobsworth at check-in to make their own interpretation and look at the date / time of test taken and if that falls outside of the 72 hr window there could be some additional hassle. 

Thus: IF you can, air on the side of caution and ensure your test is taken within 72 hrs of flight departure (first flight if in transit) and you do not leave yourself open to someone else’s interpretation of regulations which are somewhat ambiguous. 

Test timing was potentially an issue before, but now most PCR results are same day. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

I came in last week on Thai Pass.  RT-PCR test swab was at 0730 on a Monday.  Got the results back on Monday night.  Flight to BKK departed on Wednesday at 1300.  Got checked in and arrived in BKK on Friday.  Everything was within the 72 hour window.  

I agree that basing it on the time results are issued is ridiculous, but not more ridiculous than any of the rest of it, and Thailand is not the only country that goes by time of results issue rather than time of test taken. (I previously had a test come back unexpectedly early and had to get the certificate reissued to meet the same requirement of another country. Completely pointless, but it ticked the box, which is usually all that matters.)

Personally, I would try to get the test taken within 72 hours of arrival, but people can't get the results back that quickly everywhere. (Even in the USA, it can be difficult to get a reliable 24 hr test in some states). So if that's not an option, stay within the published regulations and be prepared to argue you case if you have to.

The test must be done within 72-hours of start of travel. The certificate will show the date/time of the test. That's the date to use when doing the + 72-hour addition that some find very difficult to work out.

By linking it to 'start of travel', it handily obviates the need to worry about the flight and/or transit times for people coming from further away.

• Like 1

It was a close call. I needed to pay more for a faster result to prevent Sunday issue.

Got the result same day. (FilmArray RT-PCR)

My flight departure is at 11.10am (Boarding time 10.40am) on 7th March.

On the report :

Sample collection (4th March) : 11.00am

Sample received : 11.15am

Result Issued 12.45pm

It's unnecessarily troublesome with all these crazy covid requirements.

I wish we're back to pre-covid era. Even the word "covid" has become over-cliched and annoying.