Under Carriage Rust Protection

We all know that anti-corrosion treatments sold for new cars by dealers is unnecessary and just a profit center. I recently had my car serviced by a dealer in Phuket who tried to sell me such a service for the bottom of the vehicle, explaining that the air and road surface in Phuket is saltier due to it being an island and thus vehicles are more prone rust. I declined. Is there any truth to this contention?

On 3/1/2022 at 2:54 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

a dealer in Phuket who tried to sell me such a service for the bottom of the vehicle, explaining that the air and road surface in Phuket is saltier due to it being an island and thus vehicles are more prone rust. I declined. Is there any truth to this contention?

His contention was correct about the effects of salt on unprotected vehicles near the coast. 

Whether your vehicle would benefit from any "extra protection" he wants to sell you is debatable.  I would have declined his kind offer, also.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, petermik said:

Get it done ASAP....it will improve the value of the vehicle no end

Perhaps there is some credence to vehicles close to the ocean being subjected to salt and therefore more prone to rust.  With that said, I am from Michigan where the roads are continually salted during the winter to prevent icing.  Factory protection appears to be more than adequate to prevent them from rusting so I doubt the salt air is more corrosive.  

Though I don't live on the coastal areas I see many older cars here in Thailand all with their bodies still in good shape.  I have yet to see one with the rusted body panels that I got use to seeing in the USA before the companies started corrosion protection 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Factory protection appears to be more than adequate to prevent them from rusting so I doubt the salt air is more corrosive.  

"I doubt the salt air is more corrosive".  

Hahahahahahahaa..!    Be careful that you don't fall off the edge of the earth!