Ugly side of Thailand

Just now, mtls2005 said:

In Bangkok plastic gets scavenged and recycled, that amount of plastic would easily be snapped up.

But probably not as robust a recycling market on Samui, and more costly to ship back to the mainland and a recycling facility.

Does anyone know how recycling works on Samui?

It looks like some have already picked the best pieces.

Island of rubbish: Koh Samui’s pollution problem remains unsolved

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environment/island-of-rubbish-koh-samuis-pollution-problem-remains-unsolved

Then what did you do with this rubbish oh noble one?

Lemme guess, sent it to a garbage dump elsewhere on the island.

No, I dug a big hole at the end of the beach where nobody stayed, and each day I put the collection of garbage in it. On my last day I burnt it all, then covered the hole with sand.

The hotel staff where I used to stay swept up the garbage from in front of the hotel and buried it in front of the hotel. No doubt it's still there under the sand today, decades later.

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Industrial scale dumping of waste at sea.........hard to believe it is cheaper than taking it to a land fill????

May not be dumped at sea, as it could be dumped in rivers and float down to the sea. Stuff like the rubber that flip flops were cut from might fit that category. Some probably comes off fishing boats like the oil containers, and plastic bags I used to pick up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

May not be dumped at sea, as it could be dumped in rivers and float down to the sea. Stuff like the rubber that flip flops were cut from might fit that category. Some probably comes off fishing boats like the oil containers, and plastic bags I used to pick up.

Makes more sense.....!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering the lack of tourists it would appear Thai made ! 

My wife however would see that rubbish as recycling money

The rubbish can come from anywhere, drifting in the sea. I find it hard to understand why they also would mix the garbage with oil.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

The rubbish can come from anywhere, drifting in the sea. I find it hard to understand why they also would mix the garbage with oil.

Do a boat/ ship's engine oil change and dump the old oil overboard could be one reason.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rules are often broken. It was against the "rules" to invade Ukraine, but that didn't stop Putin.

I remember sailing and we chucked everything overboard. But times have changed for the better. Now we have strict rules implemented by IMO.

50 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering the lack of tourists it would appear Thai made ! 

My wife however would see that rubbish as recycling money

Yes.  People still want to blame all this on tourists, which is so bogus.  Maybe have more trash receptacles available with proper disposal venues, not big dumps in the ocean.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do a boat/ ship's engine oil change and dump the old oil overboard could be one reason.

Yes, it can! But why would it be a Thai doing it to their own water and coast line? Usually it is foreign boats that loads off their stuff into other territories. Easier to get away with that.

1 minute ago, shackleton said:

What happened to the tourists or foreigners who used to get organised and clean the beaches early morning 

Come back we need you  ????

Deported and blackmailed.
No work permit.

Job reserved for Thais.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately It is not only Thailand, all around the world floating plastic garbage hitting the beaches with the streams. Even at our poles they find plastic waste. It is a world catastrophe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isaanlife said:

The wonder of Thai beaches

Actually it is similar on beaches across most of the world.

Why pick on only Thai ones?

I saw the same thing after a storm on Seychelles's beaches back in '89. Again in Bali etc etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the poor and uneducated that pollute.  I live outside Pattaya and just outside my home is large areas of open fields and the poor Thais/Cambodians are always dumping trash on the side of the roads.  When I asked my wife about it, she said they don't want to pay the money (2000b?) to get a government trash bin.

Another time (long ago) I was in a taxi going to the airport and had my one week girlfriend riding with me, after we finished eating some snack in the car, she rolls down the window and throws the trash out.  I asked her why she did that, she said "No problem, now worker have job to clean the soi"...<deleted>??

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bbko said:

It's the poor and uneducated that pollute.  I live outside Pattaya and just outside my home is large areas of open fields and the poor Thais/Cambodians are always dumping trash on the side of the roads.  When I asked my wife about it, she said they don't want to pay the money (2000b?) to get a government trash bin.

Another time (long ago) I was in a taxi going to the airport and had my one week girlfriend riding with me, after we finished eating some snack in the car, she rolls down the window and throws the trash out.  I asked her why she did that, she said "No problem, now worker have job to clean the soi"...<deleted>??

Not many years ago (some still do)

All the cruise ships dumped their waste straight out to the see, and also when I started in the oil business I was told to dump waste water to the sea (containing oil) I denied, young and fresh I was at the time, and was threatened by being sent onshore. I asked for a signed order to do so, but it never came. Next night I saw the waste tank was empty. 

People is their worst enemy! 

• Like 2