At the UN, Thailand votes to condemn Russia’s aggression in Ukraine

webfact

41 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, there are currently no NATO missiles in the Ukraine , Russias concerned that Ukraine will join NATO and then NATO would be obliged to militarily defend Ukraine and the USA could build military bases on Russias borders .

Putin has long stated that he would not let that happen 

So if putin invades all of the Ukraine he will have brought missiles even closer to him,just accross the border.Nah,another argument that does not hold any water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

So he'll invade a sovereign nation and kill thousands of innocents rather than let that happen.

So, it must be right then. One person in Ukraine said so. The second article is three years old and talks about some extremist nationalists who aren't the government banning anything. Can you see why the Russia apologists have a credibility problem?

Talking to an intelligent person who has eyes and ears on the inside is in my opinion worth more than 10 pages of forum chatter by clueless people.

It doesn't matter if the article is 3 years old. The language laws have not changed in this time. Have you even read that part?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jvs said:

So if putin invades all of the Ukraine he will have brought missiles even closer to him,just accross the border.Nah,another argument that does not hold any water.

The NATO missiles will still be the same distance away from Moscow , they wouldn't get any closer , just that the border would move , but the missiles would stay in the same location 

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

True. In fact he has achieved the opposite,

Through the Cold War and the decades since, nothing could persuade Finns and Swedes that they would be better off joining NATO — until now.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-business-finland-helsinki-cold-war-34ef217e563ac9ea080c495ce6ffdb88

Asking 1350 Finnish people in a telephone pool whether they would want to join NATO , asking them immediately just after Russia invaded Ukraine is likely to get an inaccurate long term opinion of Finish people 

53 % of Finnish people voted yes , and they were asked on the day Russia invaded Ukraine 

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I haven't read up on the situation to a degree where I can give a valid opinion , I will have to go and read up on the history and current situation . 

I am not one of these guys  who reads a  current news report from a country they hadn't previously heard of and then  choses one side to support , based on a few biased news reports and then join the campaign  to attack the other side . 

*My news source says someone is the bad guy and I agree and he's the enemy and he needs to be attacked*

While you read up on history. The real world is dealing with the here and now. Taken sides and condemed the invasion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Asking 1350 Finnish people in a telephone pool whether they would want to join NATO , asking them immediately just after Russia invaded Ukraine is likely to get an inaccurate long term opinion of Finish people 

53 % of Finnish people voted yes , and they were asked on the day Russia invaded Ukraine 

2 polls, 2 countries with a majority in both.

The YLE poll showed 53% were in favor of Finland joining NATO, with only 28% against. Why did you forget to quote the percentage against?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

While you read up on history. The real world is dealing with the here and now. Taken sides and condemed the invasion. 

How are you dealing with the situation ?

Apart from talking to me about it , what other actions are you talking to solve this problem ?

8 hours ago, jvs said:

OK Thailand,now follow this up with actions!

Speak out against russia and for Ukraine,next condem any contact with russia and stop russian

tourists from coming here.

Most Russian citizen do not want this war with Ukraine, many have discretely spoken out against Putin on this and some publicly and now fear for their lives!!! Putin is a ruthless dictator and his troops also would rather not be where they are but it Putins way or the else!!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Russian is not banned in Ukraine

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/neo-nazis-far-right-ukraine/?fbclid=IwAR3Gp1llVyhtkALXQyv7UGt-wwVWZ8TB2VkBoOxiuPJeJbk8nevlJyQzcmQ

LANGUAGE LAWS
“[Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk] also made a personal appeal to Russian-speaking Ukrainians, pledging to support…a special status to the Russian language.”—US Secretary of State John Kerry, April 24, 2014

Ukraine is extraordinarily multilingual: In addition to the millions of Russian-speaking eastern Ukrainians, there are areas where Hungarian, Romanian, and other tongues are prevalent. These languages were protected by a 2012 regional-language law.

The post-Maidan government alarmed Russian-speaking Ukrainians by attempting to annul that law.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It takes a Russian businessman to seek Putin's demise as a continuing war criminal, while the USA, UK, and EURO countries sit on their butts thinking sanctions will suffice in the long term. Yes, mates, but by dilly-dawdling along, Putin would be still free to launch a freaking nuclear war.    

It's probably already been said, but I'm just catching up after a 14 hour drive, where are you from and what's your country doing ?? Just asking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/neo-nazis-far-right-ukraine/?fbclid=IwAR3Gp1llVyhtkALXQyv7UGt-wwVWZ8TB2VkBoOxiuPJeJbk8nevlJyQzcmQ

LANGUAGE LAWS
“[Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk] also made a personal appeal to Russian-speaking Ukrainians, pledging to support…a special status to the Russian language.”—US Secretary of State John Kerry, April 24, 2014

Ukraine is extraordinarily multilingual: In addition to the millions of Russian-speaking eastern Ukrainians, there are areas where Hungarian, Romanian, and other tongues are prevalent. These languages were protected by a 2012 regional-language law.

You confirmed that Russian is not banned in public life. It is not unreasonable that Ukraine wants to teach kids to speak Ukrainian in schools. The regional language law again did not involve ordinary citizens speaking Russian in their daily lives.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A direct result ?

Russia invaded Crimea in 2014

Ukraine banned Russia language books in 2017

Stop making things up 

They should forget 3 days after the event? There has been a continuing and escalating dispute between Ukraine and Russia since the annexation. Did you actually read the article I linked? Oh, that's right, you said you haven't been reading much.

Edited by ozimoron

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

as a direct result of Russia's annexation of the Crimea. Stop spinning.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/feb/14/ukraine-publishers-speak-out-against-ban-on-russian-books

In the link you provided, it states that "Inna Yehorova, first secretary at the Ukrainian embassy in the UK, confirmed to the Guardian that the ban was active and that it was intended as “a mechanism restricting access to the Ukrainian market of foreign anti-Ukrainian printed matter content.”

Absolutely nothing to do with the Crimea , its part of the Ukraine Government trying to get rid of the Russian langue from Ukraine 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In the link you provided, it states that "Inna Yehorova, first secretary at the Ukrainian embassy in the UK, confirmed to the Guardian that the ban was active and that it was intended as “a mechanism restricting access to the Ukrainian market of foreign anti-Ukrainian printed matter content.”

Absolutely nothing to do with the Crimea , its part of the Ukraine Government trying to get rid of the Russian langue from Ukraine 

just once more, there is no law banning the use of Russian by ordinary citizens in their ordinary lives anywhere in the Ukraine. The laws you refer to relate to the use of Ukrainian as an official language, not more.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You confirmed that Russian is not banned in public life. It is not unreasonable that Ukraine wants to teach kids to speak Ukrainian in schools. The regional language law again did not involve ordinary citizens speaking Russian in their daily lives.

I may have used the wrong word "banned", but fact is that an ultra-nationalistic wave introduced measures to undermine the cultural identity of the Russian minority in Ukraine. 

My homeland had the same issues. We were annexed to another country (100 years ago) and at first we were prohibited to use our language in public offices, then forbidden to attend school in our language, then "gently encouraged" to change our names and family names so they would sound "better". Our culture and traditions were curtailed at every chance. It took 30 years of fighting to have our rights as a minority reinstated. 

What you consider a small matter is actually a big matter for them.

Edited by OmegaRacer

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How are you dealing with the situation ?

Apart from talking to me about it , what other actions are you talking to solve this problem ?

None of your business how I'm dealing with it, you said you have no opinion, I do, it echos the majority of the world in the condemnation of Russia's pure aggression and killings in Ukraine with over 1 million refugees leaving their homeland, a humanitarian crisis in real time while the dictator Putin just announced a few moments ago that he may well add extra conditions to the peace talks.

Enjoy your history reading, I'll wait for your opinion in anticipation or perhaps carry on sitting on that fence.

Just now, ozimoron said:

just once more, there is no law banning the use of Russian by ordinary citizens in their ordinary lives anywhere in the Ukraine.

I have never stated there was and I have never disagreed with you , so you don't have to keep telling me over and over again  . 

• Like 1

Just now, OmegaRacer said:

I may have used the wrong word "banned", but fact is that an ultra-nationalistic wave introduced measurements to undermine the cultural identity of the Russian minority in Ukraine. 

My homeland had the same issues. We were annexed to another country (100 years ago) and at first we were prohibited to use our language in public offices, then forbidden to attend school in our language, then "gently encouraged" to change our names and family names so they would sound "better". Our culture and traditions were curtailed at every chance. It took 30 years of fighting to have our rights as a minority reinstated. 

What you consider a small matter is actually a big matter for them.

It's perfectly reasonable for any country to protect it's national language in official affairs. The UK Queen's family changed their surnames too. No biggie.

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Imports of book into the Ukraine in the Russian language have been banned and they previously made up 60 % of all books sold in the Ukraine  .

The ban lasted for nine months

A Proxy Propaganda War

For its part, Russia has been conducting a proxy propaganda war against Ukraine dating back to the country’s independence in 1991. One of the nation's weapons has been books, and Russian publishers are known to have flooded the Ukrainian market with cheap paperbacks in an effort to undermine any growth in the local publishing industry.

Back when Russia subsumed Crimea in 2014, Oksana Hmelyovska, one of the coeditors of Chytomo, a Ukrainian website covering books and the media market, said that “we hope that culture and publishing play not the last role in defense of our independence.”

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/international/international-book-news/article/88619-russia-s-war-of-words-with-ukraine.html

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's perfectly reasonable for any country to protect it's national language in official affairs. The UK Queen's family changed their surnames too. No biggie.

Tell that to my family....no biggie. You have no idea.
And bringing the Queen's family to support your point makes you look very dim indeed.

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have never stated there was and I have never disagreed with you , so you don't have to keep telling me over and over again  . 

That's true, it was another poster. You came awfully close though and certainly the post below looks a lot like support for the other poster's contention that Russian was banned.

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Imports of book into the Ukraine in the Russian language have been banned and they previously made up 60 % of all books sold in the Ukraine  .

6 minutes ago, OmegaRacer said:

Tell that to my family....no biggie. You have no idea.
And bringing the Queen's family to support your point makes you look very dim indeed.

Without some support for your assertion that the name changed was forced, etc, I'm not taking your post too seriously. For my part I could care less where my surname originates, I have no clue. I am not a nationalist. Not that I am accusing you of being one.