US IL Pre-Travel RT-PCR Test for Thailand

Can somebody from US tell me where can I get a pre-travel RT-PCR Test? I see local Walgreens have drive in test but they say they cannot guarantee the results in a timely fashion for travel purposes. Some labs in Chicago are asking for $300 (50% of my Ticket price to BKK) for 24 hours turnaround time. The country health services is giving free anti-gen test kit to do it at home. Where do people travelling from the US to Thailand get their Test done? I am from IL, USA and in a small university town (Normal/Bloomington). I can travel to towns around Normal/Bloomington like Peoria or Champaign. Chicago will be a stretch but can do if nothing can be done nearby. 

Edited by Onerak

I use CVS or Walgreens. Done this three times and fourth will be next week. Never an issue getting the test back in time. 

Example - If flight leaves at 9:00 am March 9th then I schedule test for early to mid afternoon on the 6th so it falls within the 72 hr mark and also helps ensure the specimen is picked up on the 6th and delivered to the lab.

I used CVS also.  I have used them twice and received the results the next day both times.  No cost with insurance.  I guess the only issue is they don't guarantee the time frame but it hasn't been a problem for me and one of the times that I did the test cases were surging.  I had a bit of difficulty trying to find a CVS that had open appointments at the time I was traveling.  It made me worry about the turn around time but it wasn't a problem in the end.

Perhaps you're confusing the time of the swab with the time of the results. Thai Pass requires the RESULTS to be no more than 72 hours before your first flight. 

I've flown to Thailand three times with COE and Test & Go. On my January trip from Illinois I was swabbed at CVS on Sunday, received the results on Wednesday, took my flight from Chicago on Thursday evening and arrived in Phuket Saturday morning. The PCR result document was checked in Chicago and Phuket - but with thousands of different lab result forms they only looked for "negative" and the date/time.

Be aware that not all of the labs used by CVS or Walgreens print both the swab day/time and results day/time so that's worth checking. Of course if you have some tech skills you could add the date/time of the results to the pdf document. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but realistically no one would know if you did. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pub2022 said:

Is the passport number required on the PCR test certificate?

It is not mandatory for your passport number to be on it.

Many countries do not put your passport number on them and many people have used them to apply for a Thailand Pass and its predecessor's. 

• Like 1